Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Destination suggestions for a 1 week vacation end of July

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikedryfeet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject: Destination suggestions for a 1 week vacation end of July Reply with quote

I have a week off at the end of July and I was looking into travelling somewhere outside of Korea. I have looked into the Philippines, Vietnam, and Indonesia, but I'm having a hard time figuring out which location would be best. I would like to go somewhere with amazing beaches and preferably some sort of night life. I heard some some of the smaller Indonesian islands like siquijor are relatively cheap, but I have no idea how expensive it would be to get there, or if it would be worth the time. any ideas would help.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indonesia is very affordable, although Bali is less so than elsewhere. There isn't much night life (except maybe in Bali) though, and the nice beaches and islands are far from Jakarta. On the other hand, July is the perfect time to go (early in the dry season) and domestic travel- including flying- is cheap. Given your limited time, you might want to look into going to Manado and checking out North Sulawesi.

As for Vietnam, Nha Trang is the most popular beach area and isn't too far from Saigon. It would be pretty easy to spend 3-4 days in one and 2-3 days in the other.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: Destination suggestions for a 1 week vacation end of Jul Reply with quote

Mikedryfeet wrote:
I have a week off at the end of July and I was looking into travelling somewhere outside of Korea. I have looked into the Philippines, Vietnam, and Indonesia, but I'm having a hard time figuring out which location would be best. I would like to go somewhere with amazing beaches and preferably some sort of night life. I heard some some of the smaller Indonesian islands like siquijor are relatively cheap, but I have no idea how expensive it would be to get there, or if it would be worth the time. any ideas would help.

Siquijor is in the Philippines - the mid region (AKA the Visayas). Just south of Cebu and easy to get to (fly into Cebu and take a ferry).

There are lots of places in the Philippines. Personally, I suggest the mid region (avoid the politics of Mindanao and the crime of Manila/Luzon.

ALSO, the north and east part of the country is prone to typhoons from June to Nov. (Tacloban anyone?)

Bohol is decent. Affordable, decent nightlife and Ok beaches.
There is LOTS of information on THIS forum about it. Just look back.

Siquijor is OK but a bit quiet as is Camiguin (nice if you want to hike or dive an old volcano).

If you are into surf... then Cloud 9 on Siargao is the place to head for.

Cebu is pretty decent if you want a mix of sun, sand, & city. There are about 30 non-stops flights per week from Korea with rates varying from 300k to 800k. Korean Air, Asiana, Cebu Pacific and PAL all fly daily.

The Phils is also visa free for E2 (English) teachers.

If you are into diving then there are LOTS of options all over SE Asia.

Most of us need a visa to go to Indonesia. Some E2 nationalities can get the visa on arrival (depending on where you fly into).
Others need to do it in advance.

Vietnam is OK but you need to arrange for an E-visa or an actual visa in advance of travel.

For all 3 the costs are about the same (as a total package).
You can backpack them on the cheap or go whole hog and do them up 5*. SUP to you to choose your stars and budget levels.

IF you budget $700 per week (after airfare) you will have a decent vacation (you can always bring any left over money home with you. It's not like it will spoil in the heat).

If you want to add girls (dating) to the mix, then add another $700/week. Showing your new girl(s) a good time can eat up a whack of cash.

If you just want to sip rum & coke on the beach... cola is expensive... rum is cheap. ($2-3 per liter in most places).

schwa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some nice one-week vacations I've taken from Korea:

Phils: Boracay
Vietnam: Hanoi
Mexico: Puerto Vallarto
Sri Lanka
Phils: Dumaguete
Malaysia: Kuching (Borneo)
Micronesia: Yap

The world's your oyster.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: