Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I have a LOR...BUT....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trueblue

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: I have a LOR...BUT.... Reply with quote

..the director said he was going to cancel my visa. He already called an informed immigration that I'm leaving the school.

(yeah...I'm going to end my efforts helping my friends come to this country).

Now...since I DO have an original Letter of Release, IN HAND postdated for August 1, if the director cancels my visa, what happens to the validity of the LOR?

Can he do that?

As I'm sure, someone is going to ask for more background, I'll give you the simple story.

1. Recruiter mislead me on the location...city vs country (I was quite surprised when I arrived in some backwoods town waaay on the outskirs of Masan District). The target age group was an issue that the recruiter lied about as well...but, whatever (though I did save the emails she sent)

2. For a bit, I went along with it. But, I just don't like being isolated. I attempted to hand in a resignation, explaining the situation but was talked out of it.

3. My apartment was entered while I was not there and I was locked out from the inside door, that leads to the actual apartment (the outside door is the one with the security key...only a couple people, other than myself, know the key). I was mad about this one.

4. Next day, director asks about it...we talk and he decides to give me my notice...fire me. The key there, is that if I am fired, I don't have to pay back the ticket. That was his basis for firing me, that I made up the story that I was locked out...which, is not true.

Today, I explained to him that we do not need to go to immigration (based on what I read here) as I have a Letter of Release. But, as noted, he already informed immigration that I am leaving and he was going to cancel the visa. Now, the school is going on break this Wednesday and my last day was this Thursday. He gave me a written agreement that I will be paid that day, I'm not responsible for the airfare and that I agreed to leave 100,000 won for bills (he was initially going to pay me on August 15...no way).

Though I admit...I should have been careful when looking at the contract. I failed to notice that there was no physical address on it.

What am I doing wrong with this situation? Should I go with the flow and see what happens, hoping to get another job (the kids were great). I honestly would have seen this through (the contract)...but, things just did not add up...it happens.

I'm just more worried about what he told immigration versus what I have in my hands, concerning paperwork. He also said he will give me a reference, but nothing in writing....

So...anyone have any ideas?
trueblue

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump up the volume, Bump up the volume...dance, dance...
Kepler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: I have a LOR...BUT.... Reply with quote

trueblue wrote:
He already called an informed immigration that I'm leaving the school.

So immigration knows you're quitting. I think that means you must leave Korea within 14 days after your last day at work. You might want to visit immigration with your LOR and see if you can switch to a D-10 visa(looking for working visa). That way you can find out if the LOR is still valid and it will give you six months if you do get the visa.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He can't "cancel your visa".
He can inform immigration that you no longer work there (as he is required to do by law).

From that point you have 14 days (from your last day of employment) to report the change of your employment status to immigration and your options from that point are:

a) switch to a D10,
b) transfer to a new employer,
c) obtain a 30 day (from last day of work) tourist status,
d) Leave Korea.

Pick one.

If you have your LOR then you have all 4 options open to you.
The employer can't do anything about that and informing immigration that you are no longer employed won't affect it.

For anyone who reads this in future, without a LOR options (a) & (b) may be problematic.

trueblue

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
He can inform immigration that you no longer work there (as he is required to do by law).

From that point you have 14 days (from your last day of employment) to report the change of your employment status to immigration and your options from that point are:

a) switch to a D10,
d) Leave Korea.

Pick one.

The employer can't do anything about that and informing immigration that you are no longer employed won't affect it.

For anyone who reads this in future, without a LOR options (a) & (b) may be problematic

Thank you, sir.

I do have original, posted dated LOR.

So..Thursday is my last day (and they will be on holiday...and I'm supposed to get paid, which is in writing as well) and from what you told me, it would be wise (if I am seeking employment) to extend to a 30 day tourist visa.

However, the D-10 is available so I do not have to obtain new documents, I assume (as opposed to the 30 day tourist visa).

Trouble is...I've been turning down so many blundering contracts that don't abide by the law. I know you have to give in a little but....I'm not a that motivated to NOT ...

...receive pension
...receive the 10 days paid holiday
....have a clear and defined schedule in the working contract.

So, the recruiters stopped responding, as I found out, that KFTRA list is still active and they sill have a black list. I am on there for being "picky" and "cocky".

Once you start pointing things out and asking questions...they get nervous and move on. Even a foreign owned school, by an American, was burning fellow expat teachers. I went to for an interview...I was sent the contract and simply blown away.

(he sent me a nice little PM, hoping I would die a slow an painful death...so, he trolls around on Dave's...I know who he is and I'm waving at him now:)

So...anyway, I shall see how this plays out.

Again,thank you, sir.
le-paul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont want to add to your neurosis or problems, so Ill just point out that the PM you got was probably virus/message thing that most people on here receive and not personal.
trueblue

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah well...based on what I saw and what I have heard about the buy, I did not seem far fetched.

..got love for your hate le-paul...keep jiving away!
Hokie21

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

le-paul wrote:
I dont want to add to your neurosis or problems, so Ill just point out that the PM you got was probably virus/message thing that most people on here receive and not personal.

Yup. If it was from someone named WJK KR4229 or something I got the same message earlier this week....something like "off yourself mate."

Everyone gets them occasionally.
le-paul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hokie21 wrote:
le-paul wrote:

Yup. If it was from someone named WJK KR4229 or something I got the same message earlier this week....something like "off yourself mate."

Everyone gets them occasionally.

That.

I was attempting to point out that you are looking for problems which dont necessarily exist, adding to your stress.
Troglodyte

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trueblue wrote:
Quote:

a) switch to a D10,
d) Leave Korea.

Pick one.

For anyone who reads this in future, without a LOR options (a) & (b) may be problematic

Thank you, sir.

So..Thursday is my last day (and they will be on holiday...and I'm supposed to get paid, which is in writing as well) and from what you told me, it would be wise (if I am seeking employment) to extend to a 30 day tourist visa.

However, the D-10 is available so I do not have to obtain new documents, I assume (as opposed to the 30 day tourist visa).

Trouble is...I've been turning down so many blundering contracts that don't abide by the law. I know you have to give in a little but....I'm not a that motivated to NOT ...

...receive pension
...receive the 10 days paid holiday
....have a clear and defined schedule in the working contract.

So, the recruiters stopped responding, as I found out, that KFTRA list is still active and they sill have a black list. I am on there for being "picky" and "cocky".

Once you start pointing things out and asking questions...they get nervous and move on. Even a foreign owned school, by an American, was burning fellow expat teachers. I went to for an interview...I was sent the contract and simply blown away.

(he sent me a nice little PM, hoping I would die a slow an painful death...so, he trolls around on Dave's...I know who he is and I'm waving at him now:)

So...anyway, I shall see how this plays out.

Again,thank you, sir.

It shouldn't be too hard to find a place that offers pension and 10 days paid holidays. The clear and defined schedule is highly unlikely. The best you'll probably get are general start and finish hours. Most place don't have a fixed schedule. They go with the market. If you're holding out for all three... you'd be better off looking elsewhere.
trueblue

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It
Quote:
shouldn't be too hard to find a place that offers pension and 10 days paid holidays.
The clear and defined schedule is highly unlikely. The best you'll probably get are general start and finish hours. Most place don't have a fixed schedule. They go with the market. If you're holding out for all three... you'd be better off looking elsewhere

Some recruiters, in which I will not name, exclusively chose not to represent schools that offer pension. I would love to show you the email(s) regarding that but we all know what can happen....

Clear and defined schedule....well....perhaps. But I don't think it is too much to ask.

Holding out for all three....your suggestion may be the logical one.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trueblue wrote:
Thank you, sir.

NO.

If you plan to seek employment then switch to a D10. Do NOT get a touristic extension of stay (beyond your 14 days).

If you get a "touristic" extension of stay (the free one) then you CANNOT work and cannot change back to an E2 without a visa run.

Either find a job and transfer OR switch to a D10.

trueblue

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
NO.

If you plan to seek employment then switch to a D10. Do NOT get a touristic extension of stay (beyond your 14 days).

If you get a "touristic" extension of stay (the free one) then you CANNOT work and cannot change back to an E2 without a visa run.

Either find a job and transfer OR switch to a D10

I agree, bad idea.

But I did switch over to the D-10. It was quite painless actually but..pricey, costing 130,000 won...yikes.

Thank you, though. Your advice came was useful.
Troglodyte

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trueblue wrote:
Quote:
It
Quote:
shouldn't be too hard to find a place that offers pension and 10 days paid holidays.
The clear and defined schedule is highly unlikely. The best you'll probably get are general start and finish hours. Most place don't have a fixed schedule. They go with the market. If you're holding out for all three... you'd be better off looking elsewhere

Some recruiters, in which I will not name, exclusively chose not to represent schools that offer pension. I would love to show you the email(s) regarding that but we all know what can happen....

Clear and defined schedule....well....perhaps. But I don't think it is too much to ask.

Holding out for all three....your suggestion may be the logical one.

That's odd. Most of the recruiters that I've encountered will represent ANY school at all. They wouldn't care if the school owner was a saint or a convicted criminal. The only thing they seem to care about is getting paid by the school. I can't see why a recruiter would turn away schools that offer pension to teachers (which would actually make the recruiter's job easier). What I could see is a recruiter TELLING you that they don't deal with pension-providing schools simply because they have no placements at such schools at the moment.

How many recruiters have you dealt with already? Have you been to their offices? If so, are they in high-end, business districts of Seoul? If they have no office or they aren't interested in you coming in for an initial interview, then it's likely just some self-employed recruiter who's been doing this for a year or so and is working out of his or her parents' home.
trueblue

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That's odd. Most of the recruiters that I've encountered will represent ANY school at all. They wouldn't care if the school owner was a saint or a convicted criminal. The only thing they seem to care about is getting paid by the school. I can't see why a recruiter would turn away schools that offer pension to teachers (which would actually make the recruiter's job easier). What I could see is a recruiter TELLING you that they don't deal with pension-providing schools simply because they have no placements at such schools at the moment.

I'm putting too much speculation into the matter because this came from a recruiter, directly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: