Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Korea worth it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hatcher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked at SNU and can say that Biz and Engineering schools should be ranked with the average US unis.

They started a new MBA program when I was there and the students complained bitterly because the course was nothing compared to the mid level MBA programs in the US and yet was the same price.

If you have any hope for Korea, dont work at SNU. You will leave disgusted. It is just a staus symbol for Koreans.

However, the top paying ESL job in Korea that I know of is there. AT the LEI, the head teacher can make up to 6milKRW a month.
drcrazy

Location: Pusan. Yes, that's right. Pusan NOT Busan. I ain't never been to no place called Busan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such lists of rankings do not mean much. When a student asks me about the best universities in the USA, I say it depends on if you are talking about for a BA, an MA, or a PhD. And, OF course MAJOR.
PRagic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely, especially for grad programs. The university itself might only be in the global top 100 or 200, but any given individual PhD program could well be a top 10 or 20.
PRagic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for SNU, maybe it depends. My buddies in ESL say avoid it. The LEI can be Ok in terms of income, but they say avoid the regular program.

People I know with PhDs in tenure track or visiting positions there (NOT) related to ESL seem pretty happy with the pay and conditions.
Kwangjuchicken

Location: I was abducted by aliens on my way to Korea and forced to be an EFL teacher on this crazy planet.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PRagic wrote:
Absolutely, especially for grad programs. The university itself might only be in the global top 100 or 200, but any given individual PhD program could well be a top 10 or 20.

Right. On that top 200 list thing, where I got my PhD is often 50 something. But the PhD program is always in top 10 and has jumped around many times in the past 20 years from 1-5. I would say it probably would then be 3.
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's Your Daddy? wrote:
What Eathquakez story demonstrates is the lack of empathy in Korea, and the view that foreigners are non-human. That's why I left, it wasn't about the money.

Quote:
But after the initial interest she received, she was then informed by the non Korean running the show there that she had to produce an employment certificate for EVERY full-time job she had ever done. In her whole employment history.

Say what?

I do agree however with the majority view on this thread that Korea is not what it was.
jackson7

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging by Dave's posts and my own experiences, the Korean EFL market has taken on a look similar to the wealth divide in America. The "1-percenters" I know all have incredible jobs that afford them free time, vacation, respect, research support (if they choose, in some cases -- no 'publish or perish'), and excellent pay. The rest of the gigs out there seems to either be taking a turn for the worse, or have remained stagnant, with pay/condition improvements that barely keep up with inflation.

If you're qualified and have experience, you may be able to snag the rare gems, but if not, it's going to be tougher and tougher in the future to break into them (especially for those not adding to their CVs in the way of degrees, pubs, and presentations), as most I know have decided to hold on to their positions for the long term (and if you know anything about the adjunct market or academia back in our home countries, we're lucky to be able to work in our fields here and save so much for our futures).

J7
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So to respond to the original OP's question

Quote:
Is korea worth it?

The answer is.... no.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...unless you're a "1-percenter" like jackson7/TheMeerkatLover/wooden nickels/madoka/kimchi ninja/fustiancorduroy...or this dude:
Quote:
SEOUL — Clasping his headphones and closing his eyes as he sang into the studio microphone while performing a peppy duet with one of South Korea’s hottest actresses, spiky-haired Cha Kil-yong looked every bit the K-pop star.

But Cha is not a singer or actor. No, he’s a unique kind of South Korean celebrity: a teaching star.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/in-education-crazy-south-korea-top-teachers-become-multimillionaires/2014/12/29/1bf7e7ae-849b-11e4-abcf-5a3d7b3b20b8_story.html
Quote:
Here, teaching pays: Cha said he earned a cool $8 million last year.

________

Seems like there is a surprisingly high (certainly disproportionate) number of 1%ers here on Dave's. It is because message boards attract the wealthiest segment?
http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=232317
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to see that how much money you make thread again. Still wondering if Wooden Nickels is going to apologise for this comment

Quote:
Why don't you apologize to Fustiancorduroy?

I don't like people like you calling others liars when they can't actually prove something. I like calling people like you out who try to make themselves feel like a big man by making others look bad.

Admit it. You can't 100% prove he wasn't telling the truth. That's right, you can't.

After he (fustiancorduroy/forgetmyusername) posted exactly the same apology message on both sites with both usernames.
wooden nickels

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no. no reason to.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
no. no reason to.

You accuse someone of spreading lies about someone they can't prove and when the proof subsequently arises, you don't see any need to apologise? I guess you're one of these old, stubborn, 'I have my own hagwan, I don't have to answer to anyone' kind of guys Rolling Eyes
wooden nickels

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one of those 'apologize to the comfort women' themes going here.
wooden nickels

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent my evenings and weekends working low paying yes sir, no sir, sorry about that jobs during high school and university. I kept telling myself, "woody, woody boy, one day, oooone daaayy, things will be different. One day woody, you will be the boss."
jackson7

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made World Traveler's poop list! Unfortunately, ol' WT is still a noob in my books. Always nice reading your guru-esque conjecture filled with empty facts and anecdotes. You and GENO make a great team (is Chappa getting recruited?), but there have been many like you before, and will continue to be so, for as long as the under-qualified continue to be "underpaid."

J7
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: