Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Korea worth it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GENO123

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackson7 wrote:
I made World Traveler's poop list! Unfortunately, ol' WT is still a noob in my books. Always nice reading your guru-esque conjecture filled with empty facts and anecdotes. You and GENO make a great team (is Chappa getting recruited?), but there have been many like you before, and will continue to be so, for as long as the under-qualified continue to be "underpaid."

J7

Jackson& is the king of pro University informercials , & university propaganda. But every time he posts it is another chance to show what really goes on at Korean Universities. Anyway J7 You can call another poster a "noob" if you wish but what you are is a thug.

Not impressed with you are your qualifications. unless you have a PHD STFU. The only special qualification I see that you have is that you seem to be good at screwing over other foreigners to get ahead at your job. Another one who is into "blood money"

Your qualifications are nothing special an neither is what you earn. The only thing that makes you different from many others is that you are a true sociopath who was born without a conscience. Your only talent is being a deceiver.

Here is a real answer :

Hire often (and fire often ) and and prune the dead wood for 41 - 44 million before any and all deductions doesn't sound like a particularly good job. What is so good about it? Remember sky is the limit for extra unpaid work . SKY IS THE LIMIT.

Remember if a hogwon that paid 2.3 claimed that they pay 3.0 because they pay housing airfare and severance they would get flamed for it .That is the real answer.

I will just repost this until it gets knocked down it . Here is the big picture:

"At the top 40-50 universities" You can more or less sum it up this way : (e.g., actual working hours always being longer, sudden firings being common, salaries being low, no respect given to foreign faculty, etc. "

Witness recalled:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=233809&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=90

About the typical work amount and why "contact hours" mean nothing whatsoever

Quote:
oh, if you were directing that grading comment at me, obviously there's a huge amount of difference in the TYPE of grading one is responsible for and time spent outside of clas...for example at sunggyunwan where they make you teach entire semester of writing classes and then another semester of "presentation" classes (I'm pretty sure SNU is simiar)...there would obviously be significantly more grading time involved (essays) then just teaching some conversation 101class with interchange or whatever..as someone who claims to have taught esl before that should have been blatantly obvious..just saying'!

UNIVERSITY CONDITIONS WITHOUT THE SMOKE AND MIRRORS

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=233809&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

THREAD ABOUT FIRINGS

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?p=2957277&highlight=#2957277

Last edited by GENO123 on Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:37 am; edited 9 times in total
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackson7 wrote:

Sounds like you're describing yourself there, buddy, but truth be told us lowly 99%ers are envious of 1%ers such as yourself(/IPayInCash, etc.).
GENO123

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
...unless you're a "1-percenter" like jackson7/TheMeerkatLover/wooden nickels/madoka/kimchi ninja/fustiancorduroy...or this dude:
Quote:
SEOUL — Clasping his headphones and closing his eyes as he sang into the studio microphone while performing a peppy duet with one of South Korea’s hottest actresses, spiky-haired Cha Kil-yong looked every bit the K-pop star.

But Cha is not a singer or actor. No, he’s a unique kind of South Korean celebrity: a teaching star.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/in-education-crazy-south-korea-top-teachers-become-multimillionaires/2014/12/29/1bf7e7ae-849b-11e4-abcf-5a3d7b3b20b8_story.html
Quote:
Here, teaching pays: Cha said he earned a cool $8 million last year.

________

Seems like there is a surprisingly high (certainly disproportionate) number of 1%ers here on Dave's. It is because message boards attract the wealthiest segment?
http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=232317

The numbers that most of the "1% people" are often not as they claim they are. And even by chance if they really have it good at present esl Korea is dying and since Korea has close to the worst demographics in the world soon enough their jobs will go the way of the ancient city of Atlantis.
kabrams

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you think about Jeju or some small place somewhere where it's semi-warm and has far less people than Seoul?

As I mentioned before, I don't really care if I make 2.1 or 3.0 as long as I can be left alone on my off days and can work in a school that is relatively calm. I worked in a traditional K-8 in the States in school that had many problems. Every day was a battle, but I still enjoyed it, despite the low pay, because the students were worth it.

If I can work in a PS in Jeju or some small place, have a reasonably nice house, have somewhat of a voice in my classroom (with the co-teacher), and just have a quiet experience, I think it will be worth it for me. I enjoyed my time the first time (minus one bad experience).

I'm also going to take this year to decide if I am OK terminating with the MEd or if I will continue with the PhD.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: