Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Korea worth it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GENO123 wrote:
Esl Korea is a twisted combination of bad treatment and low salaries. It probably ought to be at the bottom of everyone's list of destinations for esl.

Yet, the lemmings keep coming over.....dumb as they may be.....
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weigookin74 wrote:
GENO123 wrote:
Esl Korea is a twisted combination of bad treatment and low salaries. It probably ought to be at the bottom of everyone's list of destinations for esl.

At the moment its still living off its 2006 reputation, but this place will be deserted the moment China pays even one cent more than korea.
trueblue

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:54 am Post subject: Reply with quote

To an extent...I can agree.

However, we have to ask...

1. What information do prospective and new teachers have on the ESL industry in Korea? Honestly, if it is someone out of college, who has a travel bug and is simply wanting to earn money doing an easy job....than there is a different mindset to it.

2. Many folks really do not know how to go about learning about the pitfalls.

3. $1900 rent free sounds rather appealing, in addition to the potential benefits (actually receiving severance, pension and ticket).

4. Some have just recently heard that this line of work is possible, provided one has a degree. The excitement of it all may cloud ones judgement on the entire process.

5. Many folks don't know the pitfalls and shady interpretations of contracts and assume it will all be O.K., because it is a contract.

6. Some are simply willing and or able, to put up with anything.

The word gets around more with veteran ESL teachers as opposed to those just entering the trenches.

However, with today's salaries in Korea...one could make as much, if not more, waiting tables.
Nester Noodlemon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trueblue wrote:
Quote:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:54 am Post subject: Reply with quote

To an extent...I can agree.

However, we have to ask...

1. What information do prospective and new teachers have on the ESL industry in Korea? Honestly, if it is someone out of college, who has a travel bug and is simply wanting to earn money doing an easy job....than there is a different mindset to it.

2. Many folks really do not know how to go about learning about the pitfalls.

3. $1900 rent free sounds rather appealing, in addition to the potential benefits (actually receiving severance, pension and ticket).

4. Some have just recently heard that this line of work is possible, provided one has a degree. The excitement of it all may cloud ones judgement on the entire process.

5. Many folks don't know the pitfalls and shady interpretations of contracts and assume it will all be O.K., because it is a contract.

6. Some are simply willing and or able, to put up with anything.

The word gets around more with veteran ESL teachers as opposed to those just entering the trenches.

However, with today's salaries in Korea...one could make as much, if not more, waiting tables.

True.

It's like the "SEE the World" "Earn Money for College" "Be a Part of a Team" "Learn a Trade" "A Job" "An Adventure" "Be All YOU Can Be"

Then, a few months later, you are dodging 30 caliber rounds, road-side bombs, and mortar fire in the 46 degree heat and dust storms in Afghanistan.

It's easy to entice kids.
earthquakez

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject: A warning re Japan - I take back my earlier views Reply with quote

I've given advice here on the caf re not working in Korea and I stand by it. However, I take back what I said about Japan being a decent alternative. I recommend China on personal knowledge.

The job postings around for Japan are honestly just about on par with the dross in Korea and at least in Korea you nearly always get your rent paid for you.

However, the atrocious Korean 'one rooms' which are not only cramped but incredibly stressful re noise and are unhealthy because of lack of ventilation and toilets in close proximity to your sleeping and eating areas, are fairly usual and in some cases you're better off paying your own rent.

There's a trend for Japanese employers to do a Korean employer and demand excessive qualifications for lower pay. I've seen ads where schools want an MA and these are not universities but private English institutes.

Their deluded owners/managers seem to think that they can demand postgraduate degrees and pay less than the 250,000 yen per month which is standard for a BA holder or even a working holiday visa holder. That's about 2,500 US bucks or a bit less each month.

The ones I've seen demanding MAs and certification in teaching whether it's a diploma or TEFL or whatever are condescendingly offering 230,000 to 240,00 yen per month. How gracious of them. No airfare (common too these days in Korea), no free housing and 20,000 to 10,000 yen less per month in salary for being more qualified. Very Happy What an absolute joke!

There are also lowball figures such as 200,000 to 220,000 yen being offered for people with the standard university degrees, even with extra certificates, and a few examples of appalling working hours such as 6 day working weeks including on Saturday and Sunday. But you're 'lucky' - you get 1 weekday off.

Remember that you have to pay the pension yourself 9 times out of 10 and that will be under the kokumin kenko hoken/nenkin scheme which also means 9 times out of 10 you will pay your own health insurance too. Shakai hoken where the employer pays half is rare in English teaching gigs.

The pension payment alone is around 14,000 yen (about 140 US bucks or a bit less) per month, 2nd year your health insurance will rise from the first year new visa level of around 2,500 yen per month (about 25 US bucks or less) to about 20,000 yen per month (about 200 US bucks) or more.

On kokumin nenkin you can't get a pension refund of more than 18 months back. So if you stay on longer you lose the rest of that money. I knew people who lived in Japan for 8 yrs and had to pay the pension. They got less than 2 yrs of that as a refund.

So my apologies for encouraging anybody here to go to Japan. Don't assist the exploitative Japanese English schools to screw yourself over. Go to China while the market is still open.
ippy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You forgot to mention the other things Smile

Salaries in Japan are around 210,000-250,000 per month.

BUT

As you mention, since very few people are directly employed by schools, and are beholden to dispatch agencies and a very harsh bidding process for contracts then:

1. Pension and health insurance are around 30,000 yen.
2. Housing isnt free. If youre lucky the school youre working for will have subsidised teacher housing theyll allow your agency to use. If they do, this will cost you around 12,000-15,000yen/month. If they dont, then even a basic leopalace (one of the best options if only because theres little upfront costs) will set you back around 40-60,000yen.
3. The one you really missed: Many contracts now are TERM BY TERM. Though they are for the full year, you will find your salary could be reduced heavily in the summer holidays, winter holidays and the two weeks in March/April.
4. These contracts also do not come with vacation days or sick days. My last contract in fact had a punitive clause that resulted in losing your 'contract completion bonus' of 10,000 yen AS WELL AS the pay for the day you took off (another 10,000 yen).

My savings on a 230,000/month contract in Saitama with leopalace housing, very basic health insurance and no pension was about 20-40,000 yen/month. This of course would be eaten into by any trip home or more usually, those reduced salary months.

My savings in Nagano with subsidised teacher housing, but mandated government health insurance and pension was similar to be honest.

My savings in a world where i had to pay not only the full pension/health, but also my own housing, would have been almost zero.

Throw in that the company i worked for also had to bid very low to take certain contracts in key cities like Matsumoto (and pass the cuts to the teacher) and, as they said to me: "ipps, seriously, if you want to work there, youre pretty much paying us for the opportunity".

That all being said, its still a lovely country to live in. quality of life is second to none. I always miss it, but financially it eats me alive. Smile Mileage may vary, or rather ESID, but it's definitely one of those places that ive kinda resigned myself to walking away from as a viable option these days. Im starting, if im entirely honest, to get a similar feeling from Korea. Smile
World Traveler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weigookin74 wrote:
Korea is not the place that it was, simply put.

Latest Dave's ad:

Job Description

- Title: Visiting Professor

- Responsibilities: designated regular hours of teachingEnglish courses per week (18 weekly hours). Other obligations include observing weekly office hours, attending faculty meetings, and participating in various department activities and events.

- Native speaker of English from an accredited 4-year university with Master's (2 years experience in teaching or English related research).

-Education experience: related with the University and College, more than 2 years.

-4 week paid holidays each summer and winter vacation

__

OK, so this one is 18 contact hours a week, requiring an MA+2 (uni), giving short vacation, and is looking to fill the position quick for a March 1st start.

What's the remuneration?

It starts at 2.0 a month with no severance.

That's $21,642 (USD) per year.

Median earnings for MA holders in the U.S.: $69,108.

http://www.bls.gov/emp/ep_chart_001.htm

(And that's for 2013; for 2014, it's slightly higher- over 70k.)
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:

F-visa holders with MA's will still go for those lowball offers because they view it as just another p/t position to fill up their schedule with. You only need to be on campus 2 or 3 hours a day.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure, man? This looks like a lot more work than just that.

Responsibilities: designated regular hours of teaching English courses per week (18 weekly hours). Other obligations include observing weekly office hours, attending faculty meetings, and participating in various department activities and events.

That's a lot to do. Plus uni contracts forbid taking outside work (even with the F visa).

This uni is requiring much, but not compensating well (which seems to be the general trend).

Requirements
Required level of English:
Native speaker
Teaching experience:
2 years
Certification required:
CELTA/TESOL, Master's degree
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
Are you sure, man? This looks like a lot more work than just that.

Right, I see.

Hard to see how they're getting away with it then. If they're actually getting people to fill those positions.
Roman Holiday

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weigookin74 wrote:
GENO123 wrote:

Still some reasonable jobs about for Englsih teachers. I'm starting on 3.1 and also with free housing [uni job in Daejeon].
World Traveler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few days ago you wrote this:
Roman Holiday wrote:
Sure, generally the working conditions at Korean universities look to be deteriorating.

The Daejeon job is good though? The pay is certainly above average (compared to what most unis are paying nowadays). How is the workload? How many contact hours? How long/short are the vacations? What did it take to get in?
Paddycakes

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Apples and Oranges.

You can't compare someone with an MS in BioChem or Public Administration from a recognized university with the sort of MA's you often find floating around in Korea.

Not all Master's degrees are created equal.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True.

Electrical Engineering:
http://www.forbes.com/pictures/efkk45ifij/no-3-best-masters-degree-for-jobs-electrical-engineering/
Mid-career median pay: $121,000

Economics:
http://www.forbes.com/pictures/efkk45ifij/no-10-best-masters-degree-for-jobs-economics/
Mid-career median pay: $115,000

Physics:
http://www.forbes.com/pictures/efkk45ifij/no-6-best-masters-degree-for-jobs-physics/
Mid-career median pay: $114,000

Computer Science:
http://www.forbes.com/pictures/efkk45ifij/no-2-best-masters-degree-for-jobs-computer-science/
Mid-career median pay: $109,000

English:
http://www.forbes.com/pictures/efkk45ifij/no-2-worst-masters-degree-for-jobs-english/
Mid-career median pay: $62,900

Education:
http://www.forbes.com/pictures/efkk45ifij/no-4-worst-masters-degree-for-jobs-education/
Mid-career median pay: $60,100
Hatcher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent considerable time in both places and can say that financially China is now better assuming you dont have an F visa. For night life and socializing, Korea is better.

The Chinese are more reasonable and logical but who isnt when compared to the Koreans.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: