Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can you still teach if you graduate from Korean University?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnlee625

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Can you still teach if you graduate from Korean University? Reply with quote

I have F4 visa (Asian American), I'm from the states, and I have citizenship in the U.S.

The only problem is I got my college degree from Korea (B.A.)

I was wondering if I can still get a descent teaching job in Korea. In terms of public school, can't I apply directly instead of going to EPIK?

Also, if public school is out of option, can i apply to private schools just like any other foreigners? (with housings applied) I don't really mind if the pay is lower like 2 mill.

Lastly, how do you get the job? Is it usually through job postings or through recruiter? What would you recommend in my case? Any additional information would help.. I'm in a struggle.
PRagic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure this has been asked and answered, but here's my take on it anyway. With your visa, you can work for a private institute if you can find one that'll hire you.

If your BA is in education, and you're completely bilingual, you could get certified in Korea, become a 'proper teacher' and apply for public school jobs. Don't hold your breath because there is a dearth of these positions as it stands currently.
northway

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PRagic wrote:
If your BA is in education, and you're completely bilingual, you could get certified in Korea, become a 'proper teacher' and apply for public school jobs. Don't hold your breath because there is a dearth of these positions as it stands currently.

It's pretty clear from the OP's writing that he's not completely bilingual.
tob55

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to page 117 of the 2013 Foreigner's Sojourn Guide (The most recent and up to date version of the Guide)

"An individual who graduated a high school or community college (2 years) in a country which uses a certain foreign language as its native language, and acquired at least a bachelor degree in a university in the Republic of Korea, will be eligible." (These are the qualifications for any normal E2 visa job, which would be the same for people on other visas who plan to teach English)

Since, you come from an English speaking country, and English is considered a foreign language here, and you completed your bachelor degree at a ROK university, it appears you qualify. Be sure to point to the page mentioned in the FSG if anyone wants to question it at the place you are seeking employment.
jvalmer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your Korean is top-notch Korean native like, with one of the recognizable Korean accents, then try getting fully certified as a Korean teacher.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: