Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2 Months in and Stressed out
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MedellinHeel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sukisho wrote:

I did not mention everything in my post. I have had out of control kids. I did have contract issues (asked to teach a class for a company I don't work for but my Director also owns). As for the parental complaints, parents are why the schedule is wonky, even my manager didn't want to make it that way (I found this out eventually, jsut took a while). Don't think that just beacuse I don't list every issue ever that these things didn't happen. I feel the kind of break down was due to "the straw that broke the camels back". The lots of little issues seemed to pile up and become one BIG issue.

I mentioned in response to another user that I am going to try to focus on not asking why, which I belive will help me go with the flow more.

My point is if you make a post like this, those would be the pressing issues. You didnt even mention them so it leads me to believe you are just being too sensitive.

Every teacher has had some kids out of control. I mean like its a majority, which you said it wasnt. When most your kids are bad, thats when its a problem.

As for your contract, the only way he would be violating it would be "hours outside of your working schedule" or "total hours for week/month" as designated in the contract. I doubt either one was done. If I had to guess he simply asked you to teach that class within your normal working hours and within the total working hours and if not should have been given OT if that is what it says in the contract. Normal contracts anyway.

What you described is different from what I am talking about. Just having parents influence the schedule is not the same as Ally's mom calling the director and saying you are a bad teacher then director coming and scolding you.

The why in Korea and in most places and circumstances is irrelevant.

Go with the flow and dont stress the small stuff.
beentheredonethat777

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: 2 Months in and Stressed out Reply with quote

Quote:
I was raised to ask why

MISTAKE #1. NEVER do this in Korea!
[/color]

Quote:
One issue was about my class schedule. it seemed all over the place, seeing some of my classes only once a wee
k.
MISTAKE #2. IT'S NOT YOUR JOB/BUSINESS TO DECIDE WHEN CLASSES ARE SCHEDULED. THE SCHEDULE IS NEED BASED. ONE DAY/TWO DAYS.FIVE DAYS.EVERY OTHER DAY/WEEK/IT DEPENDS UPON WHEN THE "STUDENT" IS AVAILABLE. YOUR SCHEDULE MAY/WILL CHANGE DAILY/WEEKLY.
[/quote]
[/color]

Quote:
There is only one other foreign teacher here, and he agreed that it didn't make sense.

MISTAKE #3. ANOTHER FOREIGN TEACHER'S OPINION DOESN'T COUNT. IN FACT, IN SOME SCHOOLS, THIS IS CONSIDERED CAUSE FOR TERMINATION. (TRYING TO TEAM UP AGAINST THE BOSS)

Quote:

All I wanted to know was WHY it had to be that way, and why he and I couldn't switch classes[/color]
. MISTAKE # 4... This is considered HIGHLY OFFENSIVE in Korean Culture. I'M SURPRISED YOU TRIED TO MAKE YOUR OWN WORK SCHEDULE. THIS SEEMS HIDEOUS
]

Quote:
It took a lot of talking and a lot of frustration with the responses before it came down to "parents
". FOR THE RECORD: Parents make ALL the decisions at the business/I mean Hogwan.

Quote:

I decided I couldn't let it bother me and just accepted that the schedule was going to suck
. GOOD CHOICE!

Quote:
Three weeks ago, my manager came to me about needing ideas for the classes like a reading class, a diary writing class, a phonics class, etc. I went to work and designed the classes, looking at the materials that Langcon provided if available, and deciding if we should use it or how to use it. It was a little stressful, but I thought about my extra money and making the classes fun. When we finally had a meeting with everyone to talk about the summer special class, my manager had ignored the opinions we had given her about the books and wanted to use the books for the clas
s. THAT's HER CHOICE!
Quote:

There are many other examples of times I have done work, only to be told after that the manager was going to redo said work herself, or that she wanted to do it a completely different wa
y. COMMON! COMMON! COMMON! WELCOME TO KOREA!

Quote:
On top of all the stress I got sick and lost my voice. But there are no days off in Korea, so here I was teaching class without a voicee. My coworkers are generally nice and even covered a couple of my classes that week
. THE KINDNESS WILL END VERY SOON IF IT HASN'T ALREADY.

Quote:
But the stress still got to me. Finally, yesterday I broke down at work, and really just wanted to go home for the day. I couldn't teach while crying and they just tell you
, "Calm down, you have class." THIS HAPPENED TO ME A FEW YEARS AGO WHEN I RECEIVED A CALL THAT MY favorite SISTER HAD JUST DIED! My boss said. CRY LATER!You have class, now!

Quote:
They even kinda manhandled me, grabbing my arm and surrounding me.
NO CRYING IN FRONT OF STUDENTS,EVER. This is considered UNPROFESSIONAL at the lowest level. I HAVE KNOWN TWO PEOPLE WHO WERE TERMINATED FOR SUCH BEHAVIOR.
Quote:
I finally calmed down (it took like an hour) and I put on a fake smile for the rest of my classes
. LESS THAN ONE MINUTE and IT WAS WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY TOO LONG!

Quote:
Any suggestions on how to make the next 10 months bearable?[/quote.

Any suggestion? Sure.

[color=red]START PACKING YOUR STUFF! WAIT UNTIL PAYDAY and DO A MIDNIGHT RUN. YOU WILL NOT LAST for 10 MORE MONTHS! Trust me.

OR

CALM DOWN. DO exactly as you're told WITHOUT talking back(asking why) Recognize you're in a foreign country. It's the best advice I can give to you, it has worked 100% for me. If you're a good actor/actress than
DO ,THINK, ACT, and RESPOND, E.X.A.C.T.L.Y. THE complete O-P-P-O-S-I-T-E as you would normally respond at home. and you'll survive.

The facts are as follows:

YOU are a foreigner making a lot more cash than the Korean teachers. They are working a lot harder, and deal with a lot more stress. They have NO sympathy for you. 100% sure about this.

BTW: Sorry, my caps were on for most of the response , I'm not shouting at you. But I'm also not going back to change my responses.

There are really only two choices for you.

If you really plan to stay, Go into work Monday,
Apologize profusely for acting unprofessional, creating chaos in the workplace, disrupting your class, and disrespecting authority.
Bring EVERYONE a small bottle of orange juice or vitamin-C, and promise to pull your load and do extra. As someone else stated, show up early, do extra, smile, and stay late. Explain briefly that your adjustment into the Korean workplace is taking longer than expected but you fully understand how things work now.

#2.
Stay as calm as possible. Save as much as you can. Buy a plane ticket.(home/elsewhere) Slip away in the night.Count it as an experience that didn't work out.

In all honesty,
your post didn't really mention anything that was out of the ordinary.
I read it three times, trying to figure out how/IF your rights were being violated and I kept coming up empty-handed. If there is more to the story than you being homesick, do share.

We'll do our best to help you.

#beentheredonethat777#believe me on this one#
Aine1979

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you find you're repeatedly being asked to do work which is then totally disregarded by your boss, the best thing to do is put together a few ideas in bullet point format. You can give this to your boss and say if there's anything they want to use, you'll be happy to expand/ develop it.

This shows you're still prepared to provide ideas and support, but prevents you from feeling you've wasted your time and effort.
MedellinHeel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Beenthere reaffirmed,

You have no reason to be stressed. Your experience is just par the course in Korea. Normal day to day life.

You have got to train your mind to not dwell or stress over basically nothing.
Overture1928

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's so frustrating when Hagwon owners start out with poor curriculum and then put the burden on teachers to essentially build it for them while teaching and marking. Summer/winter intensives are just a money grab anyway. They are generally no different from regular school and are just babysitting while the kids don't have their regular school. Owners should have done their research before or hire people/company specifically for R&D. You are probably not going to be in Korea for the long run and working like a dog for 7 year old Ji-Eun and trying to please her mom is pointless. A lot of these moms and owners don't know what they are talking about half of the time. Just stop working hard. Do what you think is reasonable. If you get the boot big deal.
DosEquisXX

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to know your place OP. You aren't in Korea to change the country. Nobody will listen to your ideas and go, "Gee, I never thought of it that way." and do things your way. You're on their turf. You play by their rules. You're there to be a foreign face to draw in more students. Teaching, while important, is secondary to money. If you want a serious teaching environment, go somewhere else.

Going home isn't shameful. Korea isn't for everybody. You have to have thick skin and be willing to accept the Korean way no matter how silly it may be. If you refuse to do things their way, then I suggest a midnight run after you get your next paycheck.
nicwr2002

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because the OP doesn't have a problem with late pay, no insurance, and other "legal" troubles doesn't mean the OP has NO reason to be stressed. When I first came here I was just like the OP and was perplexed and stressed about how the owner ran things and treated their employees. It is something that can make a first timer stressed when they are used to a different way back home. Also it is the lack of professional courtesy that hagwon owners give their employees that make new comers stressed in my opinion.

Just because these things wouldn't stress you out, doesn't mean it doesn't stress other people.
Dog Soldier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be some advice that registers on the harsh side here, but then maybe that's just the way I'm reading it.

As for the OP, maybe you do like to know 'why' things are the way they are, but in Korea you are pretty much unlikely to be told why, and even if you are, you will probably disagree with the reasons. But you'll never be able to change it...so stop 'needing' to know why. Your director isn't going to clue you in on his decision making process.

You said the classes are going well, so just turn up, do what is asked of you and enjoy your life and stop adding the stress where there doesn't need to be.

Just let it go
comm

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: 2 Months in and Stressed out Reply with quote

Sukisho wrote:
Any suggestions on how to make the next 10 months bearable?

Adapt or leave. And I'm not saying that in a mean way.

As others have said, Korean bosses do not tell their employees 'why' a decision was made. And asking 'why' is akin to doubting their leadership ability. This element of Korean culture is non-negotiable.

As you seem to have found, the answer is usually "doing things this way has the best chance of maintaining/increasing profit". It's unfortunate if you didn't know this about private academies before you arrived, but again, it's something that isn't going to change. This means you may have to do things which you disagree with or are even objectively bad for teaching, because the customer is always right (even when the customer is working against her own interests).

With that said, you do have some power in your position. You aren't easy to replace, and any disruption to classes can have long-term negative impacts for the business. If your boss asks you to do something which you absolutely can't accept, privately let him or her know that you won't be able to do it. Might want to wait on this till you prove you're emotionally stable though...
MedellinHeel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicwr2002 wrote:
Just because the OP doesn't have a problem with late pay, no insurance, and other "legal" troubles doesn't mean the OP has NO reason to be stressed. When I first came here I was just like the OP and was perplexed and stressed about how the owner ran things and treated their employees. It is something that can make a first timer stressed when they are used to a different way back home. Also it is the lack of professional courtesy that hagwon owners give their employees that make new comers stressed in my opinion.

Just because these things wouldn't stress you out, doesn't mean it doesn't stress other people.

I don't think anyone is saying he/she can't be stressed. Hell I get stressed over the winters and dealing with Korean culture in general. But it is nothing that I can not deal with or complain about to others.

The OP made a thread / big issue over basically nothing.

I and the other posters could find nothing worth stressing over. Much less, big enough to warrant it's own complain/ pitty thread.

The OP needs to stop being so sensitive and realize the world doesn't always work like they expect or want it to. Go to work, do what you are told, and collect your paycheck. Simple.
Stain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on. We're in Korea, where stress is like water. They need it to live. This place is like a ticking time bomb without a detonation. Maybe there never will be one, and only little fragments will explode.
Stan Rogers

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to quit.
Stain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan Rogers wrote:
Time to quit.

Yeah, I think I'm just burnt out. That description was pretty over the top.
arod204

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be much much worse. I came into a hagwon that had 2.5 months of marking built up for the entire school, a filthy apartment, no syllabus or plan (they knew where I was supposed to be in each unit but never shared it with me for some reason), had to come up with 2100 english definitions, and my paycheck after 50 days was a little over 1.5 million won after their god damn deductions, and was written up because a student said my class was boring.

Suck it up.
BackRow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I was expecting MUCH worse coming into this thread. Your boss asks you reasonably to prepare something, you do it. Whether they use it or not...who cares? It's their business, if they are making bad decisions they'll be the one hurt most by it. Just count your money and stop investing so much thought into the inner workings of the academy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: