Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shady English Academy?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hewieder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:30 am    Post subject: Shady English Academy? Reply with quote

So I applied to TASK English academy through Teachaway.com. I applied directly to the school, I just found the job description on Teachaway.

It is described as an American owned private English academy. I tried looking for information about it, reviews and experiences from other people and such, but I have been unsuccessful. They want someone to come starting in July.
I have a phone interview this evening so I can ask some questions then.

I'm just worried that it is a scam of some sort.
What are some signs that I can look for that will let me know that this isn't as good as it sounds?
Aine1979

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask to speak to a current foreign teacher. If they refuse, I would walk away. The teacher you are replacing may not be honest if they are afraid of not getting severance etc.

A current teacher can also give you plently of info on the area, accommodaion, expat community etc.

Also ask how long previous teachers have been there, if people have renewed contracts it's usually a good sign.

My school now bypasses recruiters and advertises itself, so I'm sure many other decent school do in order to save on recruiters fees.
Troglodyte

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aine1979 wrote:
Ask to speak to a current foreign teacher. If they refuse, I would walk away. The teacher you are replacing may not be honest if they are afraid of not getting severance etc.

A current teacher can also give you plently of info on the area, accommodaion, expat community etc.

Also ask how long previous teachers have been there, if people have renewed contracts it's usually a good sign.

My school now bypasses recruiters and advertises itself, so I'm sure many other decent school do in order to save on recruiters fees.

A lot of schools (good and bad ones) go through recruiters because they believe the BS that the recruiters feed them about being professional and finding them an Ivy League English teachers. And they are lazy and don't want to bother with the hassle.

The above advice is good but I would add that you should talk to a FORMER teacher. They have less reason to lie to you. As Aine said, a current teacher lie under duress. e.g. if we don't find a new teacher, you don't get your severance; if we find a new teachers in 1 week, we'll give you an extra 100 bucks.
Scorpion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Shady English Academy". Just imagine if we lived in a world that embraced honesty in advertising. Every other corner in Korea would have a hakwon called "Shady English Academy".

Basically if the owner's name is Kim, Lee, Choi, Park or Chung it's a shady place to work. There be exceptions, but they are the exceptions.
EZE

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:
"Shady English Academy". Just imagine...

Laughing
Nester Noodlemon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EZE wrote:
Scorpion wrote:
"Shady English Academy". Just imagine...

Laughing

Once known as "Dodgy English Academy". But the owner put the academy in his sister's name for a couple of weeks, changed the school name, avoided his debt and contract obligations, and now has returned from his 4 day vacation of playing golf in New Zealand.

Nice new Sign on the front of the building, "Shady English Academy". Shady English, no sweat study style english gold medal of happy to learn teaching program if teacher be student happy learn for tomorrow.
DosEquisXX

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Snoop Dogg owned an English academy in South Korea, that sounds like the type of name he would use.
Latina714

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, how did the interview go? are they shady after all?
Stain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DosEquisXX wrote:
If Snoop Dogg owned an English academy in South Korea, that sounds like the type of name he would use.

You might be thinking of Eminem.
sojusucks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aine1979 wrote:

This is helpful but not a guarantee. I taught at a private school that had 4-5 other expats. They said it was great. When I arrived, I discovered that it was much more terrible than any past position. So remember that what you are told is relative to each person's experience. You then have to use the provided information to make your own decision.
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stain wrote:
DosEquisXX wrote:

You might be thinking of Eminem.

WOW!
Yes...I was.
You are clairvoyant.
Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: