Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ideas for Playgroup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IS-F

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:14 pm    Post subject: Ideas for Playgroup Reply with quote

So I'm doing a favor for a friend who has a 3 year old kid and 2 of her friends who have kids of the same age. They just want me to play with them in English for an hour which I'm more than happy to do as I love kids (got a 2 year old myself).

We might just go to a playground so I was hoping someone can give me some ideas on activities or games we can play in English.

Thanks in advance!

FYI I'm not being paid for this.
Lucas

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlVWJjWs2YQ

This could be fun ^ easier to watch than for me to explain.

or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgmNDmWhx-c

Failing that - rock scissor paper!

or twister - they can use the different colored spit as bases Twisted Evil
Handsome Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FIGHTCLUB! Very Happy
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have French and Russian and Chinese tutors do that wih my daughter. You have to be willing to play with kids. Sounds easy but a two year old has an attention span like a gnat. Something's they've done

Play with play doh
Read
Hide and seek
Jump off the couch
Piggy back rides
Chase her while she runs away
Play with Legos
Play with stickle bricks
Make a fort
Put clothespins on her dolls
Feed her dolls
Play dress up
Etc

Basically anything you'd do with a normal toddler. It can be hard. Sometimes my daughter still comes to me many times during play dates and I have to shoo her back in. Worth it though. She now understand six languages.
wanderkind

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
I have French and Russian and Chinese tutors do that wih my daughter. ............Worth it though. She now understand six languages.

6?! Jeez. I bet you could fry an egg on the kid's brain.

What are the other 3?
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wanderkind wrote:
naturegirl321 wrote:
I have French and Russian and Chinese tutors do that wih my daughter. ............Worth it though. She now understand six languages.

6?! Jeez. I bet you could fry an egg on the kid's brain.

What are the other 3?

Probably not. Kids are heck of a lot smarter than us. If I hadn't seen it work firsthand though, I probably wouldn't believe it. I worked with a girl for two years. She spoke 4 languages and was reading at a third grade level when she was 5.

Korean, which is becoming her first language due to daycare.
Spanish, which her father speaks to her.
English, which I speak to her.

Cleopatra spoke at least 9, more depending on what you count as a different language. Many Europeans speak at least two, if not more.

As for her development, she's definitely behind verbally, but she understands. That's fine, in a couple years she'll be the one laughing.
wanderkind

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
wanderkind wrote:
naturegirl321 wrote:

Korean, which is becoming her first language due to daycare.
Spanish, which her father speaks to her.
English, which I speak to her.
As for her development, she's definitely behind verbally, but she understands. That's fine, in a couple years she'll be the one laughing.

I expect so. Sounds like solid parenting.

I have two questions:

You and your partner are both foreigners (?) with a child in Korean daycare. Are you planning to be here indefinitely and have your daughter go through the Korean school system? I've always kind of wondered if there were entirely foreign heritage kids who were native Korean speakers in Korean schools, but I haven't encountered one yet.

And if it's not prying too much, how would you describe your household income? i.e. Low, Average, Above Average, High? (tutoring with any regularity in 3 languages seems like a costly endeavor)
Lucas

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/jun/17/legionnaires-disease-heated-birthing-pool-baby-public-health
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wanderkind wrote:
I expect so. Sounds like solid parenting.

I have two questions:

You and your partner are both foreigners (?) with a child in Korean daycare. Are you planning to be here indefinitely and have your daughter go through the Korean school system? I've always kind of wondered if there were entirely foreign heritage kids who were native Korean speakers in Korean schools, but I haven't encountered one yet.

And if it's not prying too much, how would you describe your household income? i.e. Low, Average, Above Average, High? (tutoring with any regularity in 3 languages seems like a costly endeavor)

I take the solid parenting as a compliment. Not sure if it's meant to be sarcastic or not, but I"ll take it as a compliment. It's just me here, her father doesn't live in Korea and doesn't help out financially either. I have a couple of streams of income, my main one is teaching at a uni.

There are a number of foreign kids in Itaewon Elementary School. About one per class. They provide private tutoring for foreign kids for free. I've seen a number of foreign kids fluent in Korean. It is sometimes frustrating for me, because I don't know what my daughter's saying. That being said, she's taught me words for poop, pee, sit, don't do that, no, carrier. And we use Korean words for those things.

I plan on staying here long term, I left the US back in January 2002, and have spent most of my adult life abroad, studied, bought a house, car, started a business, had a kid, all abroad.

For schooling I'll be sending her to the Chinese school for elementary school and then unschooling with tutors and such.

As far as cost, it's not that bad honestly. I lead a pretty simple life, don't buy much here other than food. I have to pay for daycare, which is 286,000 a month. Private tutors are 25,000 an hour. I negotiated, they asked for 30,000, but I pay in advance and there's literally no prep. French and Russian, private tutors. Chinese is a small group. We go to that person's house. 10,000 for 40 minutes. That means I pay 240,000 for three language classes a month (two private and one small group). Worth it for me. I sold my car when we moved to Seoul, so I save money on insurance and gas. Cut out the coffee for the most part. Don't drink. Don't go out to eat a lot either. It's all about priorities.

She only has classes once a week, it's fine for now. She also watches tv in foreign languages. Yes, I know, kind of bad, but I'm a single mom, I'd like to be able to scrub the floors and exercise without her climbing on top of me. No one's perfect. Ironically she likes to watch Peppa Pig in Polish.

Like I said, I've seen this first hand, learning multiple languages. It works. I've also seen doctors from back when we were kids NOT recommend it, but they've since been proven wrong. Learning multiple languages has many, many benefits. It's hard for us to grasp as adults, since we always have L1 interference, but for a child it comes naturally. Oh, with mom I speak English. With dad I speak Spanish. etc.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucas wrote:
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/jun/17/legionnaires-disease-heated-birthing-pool-baby-public-health

Right, you're not supposed to heat birthing pools.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: