Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it hard for korean American to get job in Seoul?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jstyle88

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Is it hard for korean American to get job in Seoul? Reply with quote

I applied through a recruiter for an esl job and was told by them that Korean Americans have it harder in getting hired and it is difficult to find benefits like paid airfare and housing.

Is this really true?? I am korean American and I am worried yet don't know whether to believe this. It doesn't sound right.
chill.sung99

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true. It has been like that for many years. However, I'm optimistic that the mindset of Koreans will change for the better, but it will take awhile.

I think Koreans are smart enough to know that Korean-Americans and White Americans are, in many cases, equal in terms of experience, education, skills, social and cultural perspective, etc... the only difference is "the face."

But in Korea, there is nothing more important than "the face." It sounds shallow, but image is everything in Korea. Try to count the number of face/plastic surgeons in Seoul. So if a hagwon or a company hires a Caucasian-American over you, even if you are more qualified (in American measures), just know that it wasn't because of your education/skills/experience. It was purely because of your ethnicity (and their desire to have white people in their company.)

Does that sound less or more offensive? Is it reverse racism? In America, we call that discrimination or racism. In Korea, it is called "meeting the consumers' demands."
wishfullthinkng

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the gyopos i know seem to work the back office teaching-related jobs and are often fluent or semi-fluent in korean.

as chillsung said, looks play a large factor. if you are not attractive your odds drop dramatically.

in my opinion if you really want to work here find a non-teaching job, especially if you qualify for an F4 visa.
amoonbot

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of teaching in South Korea, Korean-Americans or Gyopos (F-4 Visa Holders/Dual Citizens) have a higher chance teaching at SAT academies, in fact they prefer gyopos. Generally, SAT academies can be pretty demanding in that they want "top-tier graduates".

My friend who used to work at a CDI branch (I know there is a pretty bad stigma around CDI, but this one was okay from what I've heard.) said they welcome gyopos.

At any rate, there are still a good amount of job postings related to teaching especially geared towards gyopos. You just have to make sure the conditions and benefits aren't bad.

As far as non-teaching jobs, it is much more difficult to obtain than you think.
chill.sung99

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amoonbot wrote:
In terms of teaching in South Korea, Korean-Americans or Gyopos (F-4 Visa Holders/Dual Citizens) have a higher chance teaching at SAT academies, in fact they prefer gyopos. Generally, SAT academies can be pretty demanding in that they want "top-tier graduates".

It's easy to generalize, but gyopos can range from being highly fluent and proficient in both Korean and English, to being only able to speak 1 language.

A lot of Koreans just assume F-4 visa Korean-Americans are perfectly bilingual, which is just as unintelligent as assuming a Caucasian can teach English regardless of education/background.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: