Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you have to graduate from an English speaking university?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnlee625

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject: Do you have to graduate from an English speaking university? Reply with quote

In order to teach in a public school in Korea, do you have to be a graduate from an English speaking university from an English speaking country?

I graduated from Korean university after living in the states for 12 yrs, and yes, i am a U.S. citizen, and I qualify for everything, except that I didn't get my degree from an English speaking country, i got it in Korea (B.A.)

I don't get why it's not possible. I know GEPIK and EPIK and all requires a degree from an English speaking country, BUT why can't I just search a school that needs foreigners instead of relying on EPIK or GEPIk.

Why do you need to go through programs, and why can't you just find it on your own?

Also, if i really really really want to teach forever in Korea, which is my hope as a gyopo, i can at least teach in a private school, like business hagwon, or just normal hagwon, at about 2 mill won, right?

Anyhow, i really want the public school......
i wish there was a way..... i never thought that i wouldn't be able to teach if i graduate from a korean uni. I came to Korea after high school in the U.S. without thinking about the consequences cuz i was just a kid.

(Sidenote: I'm an F4)
tardisrider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding (shockingly, I've been mistaken once or twice before) is that immigration requires a university degree from an English speaking country for an E2, but since you have an F4 then it's probably more a matter of what the employer decides is important rather than an immigration/visa issue.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you have to graduate from an English speaking univers Reply with quote

johnlee625 wrote:
In order to teach in a public school in Korea, do you have to be a graduate from an English speaking university from an English speaking country?

I graduated from Korean university after living in the states for 12 yrs, and yes, i am a U.S. citizen, and I qualify for everything, except that I didn't get my degree from an English speaking country, i got it in Korea (B.A.)

I don't get why it's not possible. I know GEPIK and EPIK and all requires a degree from an English speaking country, BUT why can't I just search a school that needs foreigners instead of relying on EPIK or GEPIk.

Why do you need to go through programs, and why can't you just find it on your own?

Also, if i really really really want to teach forever in Korea, which is my hope as a gyopo, i can at least teach in a private school, like business hagwon, or just normal hagwon, at about 2 mill won, right?

Anyhow, i really want the public school......
i wish there was a way..... i never thought that i wouldn't be able to teach if i graduate from a korean uni. I came to Korea after high school in the U.S. without thinking about the consequences cuz i was just a kid.

(Sidenote: I'm an F4)

On an E2 you need the degree from an anglophone country. (immigration issue). E2s are exempt from having a valid teacher's license (by presidential decree).

On an F2/4/5/6 you can work as a teacher in a public school with a degree from an Anglophone country and a matching passport without a valid teacher's license from Korea. (MOE issue - presidential decree)

On an F2/4/5/6 you can work as a teacher with just a degree but not in a public school. (MOE issue)

IF you hold an F2/4/5/6 AND your degree is from a Korean university then you need to get a teacher's license if you want to work in a public school. (pass the teacher's exams). (MOE issue - no exemption).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: