Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

America's Cult of Ignorance
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trueblue

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Dude, you claimed the U.S. is, in your words, "dumbed down." Yet you can't write a post that is grammatically correct.

So you are either evidence of that "dumbing down" if you were educated in the U.S., or you shouldn't be characterizing others as dumb.

Try that spear tip on for size

A I said, you are welcome to make the errors of my postings, your maxim.

It is OK...perhaps I AM the evidence of being dumbed, or better yet, I simply do not type, with the thought of achieving 100% accuracy...on an internet forum.

Either way...you're the winner! Not only do have something to do, you have ME, as a great example.

However, I would like to suggest, that being "dumbed down" is not limited to typing abilities that don't always reflect the true essence of grammar and spelling. As I said, I really don't stress too much about it...there are other things in life to worry about.

But to clarify, the context in which I used "dumbed down", stems beyond your issue pointing out grammar and spelling mistakes. It is more along the lines of not being aware, educated, or simply being apathetic, to the history and fabric that once was in America and its how it is being fundamentally transformed (though, it started years ago). Perhaps I should have stated that earlier....

But, I just arrived in Korea (well, two months ago) and after being in America AND the military, I saw it with my own eyes. Americans HAVE been dumbed down.

This is why I am starting a project, to read the best biography I can on each president of the United States. Though, I started with T.R.. However, I'm currently reading Washington: A Life, by Ron Chernow.

I feel completely cheated by the public education system, in all honesty.

But I have to admit, my favorite, thus far, is John Adams by David McCullough. I was emotionally moved by his character, his integrity and his complete dedication to keep us OUT of a war with France.

After [i]Washington: A Life, I will move on to Jefferson, i]The Art of Power"[/i]..and from there, I will take the readings in presidential order (and I can't wait to get to John Quincy Adams).

Again, I feel cheated by the public education system in the United States, even at the university level (both undergraduate and graduate)...with a few exceptions.

"Religion in American History" being one...and an excellent class on political theory. THAT is when I realized that Americans HAVE been dumbed down. This is not because of the professor, whom I must say, was amazing, it was the student body itself. Once I realized I knew about as much as they did, my perception completely changed.

So...this is one reason why I don't spend too much time, worrying about my grammar/spelling on an internet forum, such as this. If it were a historiography or a 40 page research paper, fine..no problem.

This is petty...lets move on. [/i]

Last edited by trueblue on Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:25 am; edited 2 times in total
trueblue

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yet I bet Sachs, as a Libertarian, was all for Citizens United, which has led to a greater concentration of power in the hands of the wealthy, some of whom, such as the Kochs, are directly responsible for the factionalism in today's America.

That could be. Though, one would have to do some research on that, in regards to Sachs being an advocate for Citizens United. But, can meet you half-way on the last part.

What he's proposing in that last paragraph you bolded sounds alarmingly like propaganda first and second ideas that lead to discrimination against minorities and the opposition to reforming immigration laws

I disagree. I do not think it has anything to do with what you said. I think he spoke the hard truth. Now, in regards to the discrimination of minorities, that is a bone for another dog, on another day...same as reforming immigration laws. But, I do not think his last paragraph has anything to do, with those to issues, at least in the context you presented them.
atwood

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trueblue wrote:
Quote:
Yet I bet Sachs, as a Libertarian, was all for Citizens United, which has led to a greater concentration of power in the hands of the wealthy, some of whom, such as the Kochs, are directly responsible for the factionalism in today's America.

That could be. Though, one would have to do some research on that, in regards to Sachs being an advocate for Citizens United. But, can meet you half-way on the last part.

What he's proposing in that last paragraph you bolded sounds alarmingly like propaganda first and second ideas that lead to discrimination against minorities and the opposition to reforming immigration laws

I disagree. I do not think it has anything to do with what you said. I think he spoke the hard truth. Now, in regards to the discrimination of minorities, that is a bone for another dog, on another day...same as reforming immigration laws. But, I do not think his last paragraph has anything to do, with those to issues, at least in the context you presented them.

Sure it does. All that talk about American values is code.
Leon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To point out the obvious, Singapore and Hong Kong are a small city state, and many U.S. Cities are bigger than Taiwan and South Korea. Some American states score at the top of the tests, like Massachusetts. Some of the states, like Mississippi or Alabama drag down the American scores, as do the relatively much larger number of recent immigrants who do not have English as a first language.
trueblue

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To point out the obvious, Singapore and Hong Kong are a small city state, and many U.S. Cities are bigger than Taiwan and South Korea. Some American states score at the top of the tests, like Massachusetts. Some of the states, like Mississippi or Alabama drag down the American scores, as do the relatively much larger number of recent immigrants who do not have English as a first language.

..along with ethnicities.

A challenge the United States faces, is that it is not a homogenous nation, such as Sweden and South Korea. Different values, different cultures, different ideologies....
Leon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trueblue wrote:
Quote:

A challenge the United States faces, is that it is not a homogenous nation, such as Sweden and South Korea. Different values, different cultures, different ideologies....

China is a homogenous nation, and has the same problems in terms of disparity in its provinces in terms of education. I think (not 100% sure) that India is significantly more homogenous than American and has lots of disparity in educational results. Larger countries will have more disparities, ceteris paribus.
trueblue

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
China is a homogenous nation, and has the same problems in terms of disparity in its provinces in terms of education. I think (not 100% sure) that India is significantly more homogenous than American and has lots of disparity in educational results. Larger countries will have more disparities, ceteris paribus.

Though, as an OECD partner, Shanghai/China as a city, was at the top...according the 2009 stats (I may have to look that up again, regarding the date).

Population size has to be taken into account as well, along with the diffusion of educational policies.

One reason why Swede is in the top 5, is that they have a distinct formula for funding of all of their schools...higher pay for teachers...a culture that has a true appreciation for education, as well as flexible common core...including religious studies.
Leon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trueblue wrote:
Quote:

Though, as an OECD partner, Shanghai/China as a city, was at the top...according the 2009 stats (I may have to look that up again, regarding the date).

Population size has to be taken into account as well, along with the diffusion of educational policies.

One reason why Swede is in the top 5, is that they have a distinct formula for funding of all of their schools...higher pay for teachers...a culture that has a true appreciation for education, as well as flexible common core...including religious studies.

Shanghai is not representative of China, just as Boston is not representative of America, although the Chinese case is much more extreme.
trueblue

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Shanghai is not representative of China, just as Boston is not representative of America, although the Chinese case is much more extreme.

Yes, I know. Bu Shanghai alone, is/was considered and OECD partner...so, it was included in the data.
trueblue

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But let us not digress.

I do believe that the American citizenry is ignorant...I'm not sure whether or not it is a matter of labeling the issue as a "cult"...but as an American and having spent the last four years in the military and "higher education", there has been a definite transformation.

Do people vote on passion or principle an logic that correlates with the constitution?

Can we blame television? I think so.
Can we blame the public education system, as a whole? I think so.
Can we blame the emphasis of celebrity idols, whose job is to get attention? I think so. People are impressionable, especially when the American family, once a stronghold, has been broken.

I firmly believe, that many Americans HAVE become sheep. I'm sad to admit it, but I think it is the honesty truth.

So in essence, I'm agreeing with the title of the thread...though again, I'm not too sure how to put "cult" in the narrative.

Any suggestions?
Leon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trueblue wrote:
But let us not digress.

I do believe that the American citizenry is ignorant...I'm not sure whether or not it is a matter of labeling the issue as a "cult"...but as an American and having spent the last four years in the military and "higher education", there has been a definite transformation.

Do people vote on passion or principle an logic that correlates with the constitution?

Can we blame television? I think so.
Can we blame the public education system, as a whole? I think so.
Can we blame the emphasis of celebrity idols, whose job is to get attention? I think so. People are impressionable, especially when the American family, once a stronghold, has been broken.

I firmly believe, that many Americans HAVE become sheep. I'm sad to admit it, but I think it is the honesty truth.

So in essence, I'm agreeing with the title of the thread...though again, I'm not too sure how to put "cult" in the narrative.

Any suggestions?

First,

A) what makes you think that other nations are doing so much better?

B) What makes you think other generations of Americans did much better?

C)
Quote:

What if logic doesn't correlate with the Constitution? Anyways- this is actually how humans operate. Drew Westen is a neuroscientist who writes about this stuff, you might learn a lot from his work.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-political-brain/
http://www.amazon.com/The-Political-Brain-Emotion-Deciding/dp/1586485733
trueblue

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What if logic doesn't correlate with the Constitution? Anyways- this is actually how humans operate. Drew Westen is a neuroscientist who writes about this stuff, you might learn a lot from his work.

Good point. I'll look into it. Thank you.
Titus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: America's Cult of Ignorance Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
Here are some highlights from this rather excellent article...

America's Cult of Ignorance Is No Match for Asia's Cult of Intelligence

[color=darkblue]
Many Americans are aware that the U.S. does not score well on measure such as international student assessment tests when compared to other industrial countries. For example, the 2011 Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study (TMISS) the top five countries for math were Singapore, South Korea, Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Japan--the U.S. is not in the top ten.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-w-traphagan/america-ignorance-asia-intelligence_b_5505032.html

If one compares apples to apples, the US education system does pretty well:

http://isteve.blogspot.com/2013/12/overall-pisa-rankings-include-america.html

http://isteve.blogspot.com/2013/12/pisa-racial-results-for-americans-on.html

Very few people want to compare apples to apples.
trueblue

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Very few people want to compare apples to apples

An interesting though, indeed.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon wrote:
trueblue wrote:
Quote:

China and India ARE NOT homogenous nations. Just because one has a bunch of people who all have slanted eyes (and we're not even getting to the Uighurs) and the other has people who all have brown skin does not make them homogenous culturally or ethnically.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: