Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Difficulty getting any interest, is it because of my race?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrewchon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've yet to meet an Afrikaaner (a white South Africaner) in Korea. They've all been Zulu.
wanderkind

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
Racism:
-Racist or not, it is what it is. You have to live with that legacy and not just in Korea but all of Asia. .........

I would argue 'stigma' might be a more appropriate way to phrase it since it's more in the mind of the beholders than being passed along by the black community in Asia.

I'd also toss in that there's a strong association by many Koreans between a black person of any origin and poor countries in Africa. I expect that and media portrayal play a greater role than experiences with black military guys, as most Koreans don't hang out in areas where they would encounter them on a night out. I guess there's something to be said about 2nd or 3rd hand information though.

Stan Rogers wrote:
OP Koreans are not so much racist as they are focused a lot more on doing what they believe is in their best financial interest. It's all about the money with them. It's a business, not a charity. They want to do everything they can to succeed and not go bankrupt. How you or your father wish to perceive that is up to you.

Ok, so a worldly, open-minded hagwon owner might not be racist or prejudiced, but remind me why that hagwon owner would perceive that it was in their financial best interest not to hire a black teacher?
Hokie21

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewchon wrote:
I've yet to meet an Afrikaaner (a white South Africaner) in Korea. They've all been Zulu.

Really? I've meet dozens of Afrikaaners and only like 2 Zulu.
Stain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hokie21 wrote:
andrewchon wrote:

Me too. In fact, I've worked with a few.
Hokie21

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stain wrote:
Hokie21 wrote:
andrewchon wrote:

Me too. In fact, I've worked with a few.

Same.
r2b2ct

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wanderkind wrote:
Stan Rogers wrote:
OP Koreans are not so much racist as they are focused a lot more on doing what they believe is in their best financial interest. It's all about the money with them. It's a business, not a charity. They want to do everything they can to succeed and not go bankrupt. How you or your father wish to perceive that is up to you.

Ok, so a worldly, open-minded hagwon owner might not be racist or prejudiced, but remind me why that hagwon owner would perceive that it was in their financial best interest not to hire a black teacher?

Yeah. It seems to me if a hagwon owner thinks it's against their financial interest to hire a black person, it is either because he is racist or he thinks his customers are racist.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Difficulty getting any interest, is it because of my rac Reply with quote

cchude1 wrote:
To be honest, I knew a little bit about the racial discrimination in Korea before, but didn't think it was this strong.

I thought everyone knew about the negative view Koreans have of black people, they are quite open about it. Frankly if I were black this is the last place on Earth I would go.
Sector7G

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Difficulty getting any interest, is it because of my rac Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
cchude1 wrote:
To be honest, I knew a little bit about the racial discrimination in Korea before, but didn't think it was this strong.

I thought everyone knew about the negative view Koreans have of black people, they are quite open about it. Frankly if I were black this is the last place on Earth I would go.
All I know is that none of the blacks I knew and/or worked with in Korea had much difficulty at all overcoming any stigmas or legacies, if there were any there to begin with. And this was in a smaller city. That's not to say that they didn't encounter difficulty getting hired, but once hired they were treated more or less the same as most of the other westerners - with much curiosity.

Case in point, I worked at a unigwon where we taught adults in the morning and at night, and elementary kids in the afternoon. Of the six western teachers there, "R" was definitely the most popular teacher with almost everyone - the administration, staff, younger students and older students as well, especially the female co-eds, who used to flirt with him like crazy. But maybe that was just him - the guy was definitely smooth.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Difficulty getting any interest, is it because of my rac Reply with quote

Sector7G wrote:
All I know is that none of the blacks I knew and/or worked with in Korea had much difficulty at all overcoming any stigmas or legacies, if there were any there to begin with.

I'd just not goto a place that had a negative view of my race, rather than goto the place and then work to overcome it.
Sector7G

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Difficulty getting any interest, is it because of my rac Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
Sector7G wrote:
All I know is that none of the blacks I knew and/or worked with in Korea had much difficulty at all overcoming any stigmas or legacies, if there were any there to begin with.

I'd just not goto a place that had a negative view of my race, rather than goto the place and then work to overcome it.
I only used those terms because others had. My point was that that has been greatly exaggerated, and no one in this thread has given any examples of blacks being treated badly once they are here.

Besides, not going somewhere or doing something because someone may take a negative view of you is not very adventurous, is it?

Faint heart never won fair lady.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Difficulty getting any interest, is it because of my rac Reply with quote

Sector7G wrote:
My point was that that has been greatly exaggerated

But Koreans have such an openly negative view of black people, it can't really be "exaggerated".
Sector7G

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Difficulty getting any interest, is it because of my rac Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
Sector7G wrote:
My point was that that has been greatly exaggerated

But Koreans have such an openly negative view of black people, it can't really be "exaggerated".
Openly negative? How so? I've never seen, or heard of, anything like that. Can you provide examples of how that manifests itself?

Edit: Again, I have never seen or heard any "open negativity" by Koreans toward African American English Teachers here in Korea because of their race. But then again, I could just be blind to it, and I certainly don't want it to seem like I am speaking on their behalf.

Last edited by Sector7G on Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Difficulty getting any interest, is it because of my rac Reply with quote

Sector7G wrote:
Openly negative? How so? I've never seen, or heard, anything like that. Can you provide examples of how that manifests itself?

Where are you living that you are not seeing this??? Confused

Was in a meeting with a high up Samsung guy, out of nowhere the guy starts telling me how there was a black guy at his college, and how the guy was so ridiculously "yo man" in his ignorant speech patterns and so forth. Initial shock that any exec would do this in a meeting, then realized this is just normal behavior here, and he was certain I would go along.

My friend knew a black fellow living here who was Harvard educated. When people asked him where he went to school and he said Harvard they all had a good laugh, certainly a black person could never get into Harvard they knew.

Aprika Cigarettes marketing campaign. Korean Air marketing campaigns.

Just talk to a Korean and ask them their views. I generally hear "we Koreans believe they are not as evolved". Or "we are not racists, we just do not like them". They are quite clear about it.
Sector7G

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Difficulty getting any interest, is it because of my rac Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
Sector7G wrote:
Openly negative? How so? I've never seen, or heard, anything like that. Can you provide examples of how that manifests itself?

Where are you living that you are not seeing this??? Confused

Was in a meeting with a high up Samsung guy, out of nowhere the guy starts telling me how there was a black guy at his college, and how the guy was so ridiculously "yo man" in his ignorant speech patterns and so forth. Initial shock that any exec would do this in a meeting, then realized this is just normal behavior here, and he was certain I would go along.

My friend knew a black fellow living here who was Harvard educated. When people asked him where he went to school and he said Harvard they all had a good laugh, certainly a black person could never get into Harvard they knew.

Aprika Cigarettes marketing campaign. Korean Air marketing campaigns.

Just talk to a Korean and ask them their views. I generally hear "we Koreans believe they are not as evolved". Or "we are not racists, we just do not like them". They are quite clear about it.
Not to split hairs, but talking behind someone's back is not being "openly negative", the Harvard story is just hearsay, and while the ad campaigns are pretty infantile and can not be condoned, they were directed at the African continent. By the way, how do you even get into conversations with Koreans on this topic, and do you set them straight on how inappropriate it is?

Again, it's not my place to say if African Americans have been treated with negativity here due to their race, and I will defer to them if they think I am way off base.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Difficulty getting any interest, is it because of my rac Reply with quote

Sector7G wrote:
Not to split hairs, but talking behind someone's back is not being "openly negative", the Harvard story is just hearsay, and while the ad campaigns are pretty infantile and can not be condoned, they were directed at the African continent.

Well see you've got it all figured out and can "explain away" everything. Wink

Sector7G wrote:
By the way, how do you even get into conversations with Koreans on this topic, and do you set them straight on how inappropriate it is?

I ask direct questions, Koreans give direct answers. You obviously haven't done that, yet you presume to know what they think? Just ask them (err, unless you are black).

I absolutely DO NOT "set them straight". I study other cultures and observe what exists. At no time do I view a culture thru the lens of another culture, and go down the road of "how things should be". That's what people on Dave's do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: