Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Incheon meltdown? What is happening?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3DR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucas wrote:
Quote:
Usually the female bosses like me but the ajosshis view me as a threat.

Have you ever thought that you *could* be a confrontational kinda guy?

What actions make him think they view him as a threat?

I would like to hear about them.
Stan Rogers

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RangerMcGreggor wrote:
Incheon is currently in budgetary hell, with the Asian Games and the massive money being put into Songdo turning out to be a giant flop. This is probably the one of many major cuts that is going to happen.

Songdo a giant flop? Not from what I've seen. I have a friend living there and he says a huge influx of people have moved in there over the past 3 years.

It is growing rapidly. You obviously do not live there, nor have you seen the changes going on over in the new city.

That said Incheon's finances I hear are not in good shape. Nothing that a few muni bonds can't fix.
3DR

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan Rogers wrote:
RangerMcGreggor wrote:
Incheon is currently in budgetary hell, with the Asian Games and the massive money being put into Songdo turning out to be a giant flop. This is probably the one of many major cuts that is going to happen.

Songdo a giant flop? Not from what I've seen. I have a friend living there and he says a huge influx of people have moved in there over the past 3 years.

It is growing rapidly. You obviously do not live there, nor have you seen the changes going on over in the new city.

That said Incheon's finances I hear are not in good shape. Nothing that a few muni bonds can't fix.

Yea Songdo is doing just fine. But Incheon is broke lol.
jvalmer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3DR wrote:
Stan Rogers wrote:
RangerMcGreggor wrote:

Yea Songdo is doing just fine. But Incheon is broke lol.

I thought the Songdo thing was like a 30 year project. Surly they can't expect an 'international' hub to fill up with people in a matter of 10 years.
trueblue

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But I guess one door closes and another opens

If a door does not open, at least a window will:)
wanderkind

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan Rogers wrote:
RangerMcGreggor wrote:

I think the issue is that the business side of things hasn't really materialized.

There's an influx of people because it's a super low density area that has fantastic infrastructure, but it isn't drawing the money-making interests they intended it to. At least not to the degree they expected / or as fast.

To me one of the biggest drawbacks was that getting to/from there is a pain in the ass (from the airport it's quite convenient, but to Seoul is 1.5-2hrs on the train). This was echoed by everyone I met living there, the vast majority of whom commuted elsewhere in Incheon or to Seoul for their jobs.

So yes, it's filling in, but my understanding is that it's not really following the course they'd plotted for it.
RangerMcGreggor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wanderkind wrote:
Stan Rogers wrote:
RangerMcGreggor wrote:

I think the issue is that the business side of things hasn't really materialized.

There's an influx of people because it's a super low density area that has fantastic infrastructure, but it isn't drawing the money-making interests they intended it to. At least not to the degree they expected / or as fast.

To me one of the biggest drawbacks was that getting to/from there is a pain in the ass (from the airport it's quite convenient, but to Seoul is 1.5-2hrs on the train). This was echoed by everyone I met living there, the vast majority of whom commuted elsewhere in Incheon or to Seoul for their jobs.

So yes, it's filling in, but my understanding is that it's not really following the course they'd plotted for it.

Along with that, I heard the other problem is that Songdo is such a giant financial investment that the expectations of it are skyhigh. Sorta like how Tomb Raider (2013) or the 1998 Godzilla movie are considered "flops" even though sells wise they did ok
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucas wrote:
Quote:
Usually the female bosses like me but the ajosshis view me as a threat.

Have you ever thought that you *could* be a confrontational kinda guy?

Almost Freudian, the way that post triggered your inner girl.

Nice to know I have a fan. Don't cross into stalker territory though Laughing
Lucas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Almost Freudian, the way that post triggered your inner girl.

Nice to know I have a fan. Don't cross into stalker territory though

This is your problem. By trying to put me down, you put down the women of this world, you even put down your own mother to try to get at me.

FWIW - I’m very 'in touch' with my 'inner women,' I embrace it. Wink
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucas wrote:
FWIW - I’m very 'in touch' with my 'inner women

There's more than one? Laughing
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3DR wrote:
What actions make him think they view him as a threat?

I would like to hear about them.

being a foreign man is enough. Korean men view you as the enemy. They lay traps for you, they try to sabotage you at every turn.

its no coincidence that all of my female bsses have gotten on with me like a house on fire but all my K-men bosses have either fired me or tried to fire me for reasons they couldn't name (despite my being an outstanding teacher).

Korean males view this as their territory, and they are used to rigging everything entirely in their favor. They've created their own self-serving little game whereby the women are subjugated into simpering slaves and nobody is allowed to question them.

They don't want the fools paradise spoiled by a foreign guy who does not bow and scrape. If they have to accept foreign people, then they want some pretty blonde female to pamper their ego.
jvalmer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaparrastique wrote:
being a foreign man is enough.

Just being a foreigner earning local money is enough to piss many locals off.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaparrastique wrote:

Korean males view this as their territory...They don't want the fools paradise spoiled by a foreign guy who does not bow and scrape.

So you don't view your bosses/owners workplace as being under their control, seem to not show them any respect, and possibly challenge their authority and then wonder why they aren't too friendly to you?

Do you show the same kind of contempt and challenges towards your female bosses?

That isn't a Korean thing, its a boss thing. I mean your tone comes across as borderline insubordinate.
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:

Do you show the same kind of contempt and challenges towards your female bosses? .

K-men generally want too high a level of respect.

In the real world you only get treated like royalty if you're very very very special.

They also tend to be incommunicative, fosture an air of unapproachability, and do little more than sit in oversized offices reading the paper.

In reality workers want someone who includes them and communicates, someone who sents an example to look up to.

K-women are much more down to earth. They haven't been conditioned into a culture of entitlement since birth. They are forced to rely much more on actual skills.
maximmm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you imagine what the world would be like if eslcafe members were in charge of the world during a catastrophe?

A: A meteor is about to hit the Earth!
B: We got to do something!!
C: Let's think of a plan!
D: Korean men consider me a threat because I'm so manly.
ABC: OMG! Tell us more! What about Korean women? Do you often have problems with Korean men?!
D: Well....
ABC: OMG! Tell us! How manly are you? How big are your biceps?! etc, etc, etc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: