Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Renting out a bar/pub for wedding party
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danby_ll

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:18 am    Post subject: Renting out a bar/pub for wedding party Reply with quote

I'm getting married this November in my future husband's mother's church so it will be very typically Korean - ceremony, buffet, done. But I want to have an after party with our friends and family, especially since 7 of my relatives are coming over from Canada.

Can anyone recommend a place in Seoul (preferably Gangnam area or Itaewon) that will let me rent out the whole place for a Saturday evening? Money's not THAT important of a factor but I don't want anywhere too fancy - somewhere fun, relaxed, and casual that can provide finger foods and booze. Maybe around 30-40 people.

Thank you for any replies, I'm getting stressed about this!
PEIGUY

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt that any place would let you have it for an entire evening. Most places would open early and remain closed for a certain amount of time (say 7pm) but I couldn't see a bar being closed for an entire evening on a Saturday no less. That's just my opinion.
cdninkorea

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and I did that (rent out a restaurant) for our wedding instead of a ceremony. We just invited everyone, let them eat and drink, gave some speeches, then let them get back to eating and drinking. We stopped by each table and chatted with everyone.

I can't recommend the place we went to, though. They didn't prepare enough food (then blamed us, even though we didn't have any more guests than planned) or enough chairs (I had to get more from downstairs because the servers weren't doing it fast enough), and the manager kept not returning my wife's phone calls while we were planning it.

You can, however, do what we did: We just went to an area with a lot of wine bars and asked to see the manager at each one. Surprisingly, a lot of them were reluctant- you'd think an offer like ours would appeal to a businessperson. Don't give up though, ask a lot of questions, make sure certain details are all but written in stone, etc. I'm sure you'll be able to find something!
northway

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A really small place like Tony's Aussie joint (if it's still there) would probably be willing to close for the evening, but you'd probably struggle to fit that many people into a space that small. You'd probably be better off finding a lounge with a private room than trying to book a whole bar.
CrikeyKorea

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on total number of people and bar size. I rented a bar for 2 hours and in return I dropped a million won on food and drink in that time....
Old Painless

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdninkorea wrote:
My wife and I did that (rent out a restaurant) for our wedding instead of a ceremony. We just invited everyone, let them eat and drink, gave some speeches, then let them get back to eating and drinking. We stopped by each table and chatted with everyone.

I can't recommend the place we went to, though. They didn't prepare enough food (then blamed us, even though we didn't have any more guests than planned) or enough chairs (I had to get more from downstairs because the servers weren't doing it fast enough), and the manager kept not returning my wife's phone calls while we were planning it.

You can, however, do what we did: We just went to an area with a lot of wine bars and asked to see the manager at each one. Surprisingly, a lot of them were reluctant- you'd think an offer like ours would appeal to a businessperson. Don't give up though, ask a lot of questions, make sure certain details are all but written in stone, etc. I'm sure you'll be able to find something!

Did they blame you in the sense that there were a bunch of overweight Canadians pigging out more than normal Koreans would?
Lucas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
future husband's mother's church

She runs/owns a church?

BIG RED FLASHING LIGHTS!!!!!

Get out now while you still have time!
Troglodyte

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucas wrote:
Quote:

She runs/owns a church?

Are you kidding? Churches are a big business here. You can make some serious coin if you own a church.

From the context though, I'm not sure if she meant that the mother owns the church or if she's just a member of the church.
Old Painless

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troglodyte wrote:
Lucas wrote:
Quote:

She runs/owns a church?

Are you kidding? Churches are a big business here. You can make some serious coin if you own a church.

From the context though, I'm not sure if she meant that the mother owns the church or if she's just a member of the church.

In 1996, I spent quite a lot of time with a very cool and laid back, un-christian like friend that was a minister of his first church. He'd recently graduated from Korean seminary, although you would never know it if he wasn't wearing his uniform... We went to a really nice area in the green belt and he introduced me to his father, the head of his church with thousands of members. His dad was rolling in the cash. He told me that he would inherit his dad's church one day. I believed him. Damn that guy had some serious cash.
danby_ll

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucas wrote:
Quote:

She runs/owns a church?

Haha, no, I meant the church she attends.
Lucas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In 1996, I spent quite a lot of time with a very cool and laid back, un-christian like friend that was a minister of his first church. He'd recently graduated from Korean seminary, although you would never know it if he wasn't wearing his uniform... We went to a really nice area in the green belt and he introduced me to his father, the head of his church with thousands of members. His dad was rolling in the cash. He told me that he would inherit his dad's church one day. I believed him. Damn that guy had some serious cash.

A Korean I used to work with, went to church every sunday. They'd always roll their eyes when they said it, so one day I asked why.

They said they only went because of their partner, as we talked more I found out that their other half gave over 1/4 of their monthly pay to the church.

'It was a small church' above someone's house - maybe 20 members total.

They'd also have to go 4 hours early to clean, then clean again after.....

The churches pastors son went to the UK/US/AUS ......... Rolling Eyes
faeriehazel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know people that have rented out Dillingers for wedding parties. The self-serve beer place above Sam Ryan's - Gaja Changgo - also takes reservations for parties.

Libertine's also does parties and group events, but they're pretty fancy.
cdninkorea

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Painless wrote:
Did they blame you in the sense that there were a bunch of overweight Canadians pigging out more than normal Koreans would?

Nice Very Happy No, most of the guests were Korean. The only Westerners there were my parents and a few of my friends and co-workers.
rainman3277

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Renting out a bar/pub for wedding party Reply with quote

danby_ll wrote:
I'm getting married this November in my future husband's mother's church so it will be very typically Korean - ceremony, buffet, done. But I want to have an after party with our friends and family, especially since 7 of my relatives are coming over from Canada.

Can anyone recommend a place in Seoul (preferably Gangnam area or Itaewon) that will let me rent out the whole place for a Saturday evening? Money's not THAT important of a factor but I don't want anywhere too fancy - somewhere fun, relaxed, and casual that can provide finger foods and booze. Maybe around 30-40 people.

renting the whole bar with only 30-40 people could be tough. But, reserving a section to seat 30-40 people is realistic and I know a place that does it in gangnam. The people have to be flexible with other people coming in the bar, but they took up most all of the seats so most of the people didn't stay.
danby_ll

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Renting out a bar/pub for wedding party Reply with quote

rainman3277 wrote:
danby_ll wrote:

renting the whole bar with only 30-40 people could be tough. But, reserving a section to seat 30-40 people is realistic and I know a place that does it in gangnam. The people have to be flexible with other people coming in the bar, but they took up most all of the seats so most of the people didn't stay.

Could you let me know what bar it is? Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: