Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korean Weddings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
3DR



Joined: 24 May 2009

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP is very obsessed. Sad.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
atwood



Joined: 26 Dec 2009

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Criticizing Korean weddings is like shooting fish in a barrel.

And unlike a lot of the things folks criticize in Korea, they are easily avoidable.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
denverdeath



Joined: 21 May 2005
Location: Boo-sahn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta say that although the OP's article is, more or less, pretty accurate, I think this is where a comparison to back home IS needed. Back home, we all go to the reception, listen to the same crappy music the bride has chosen, clang our forks on our wine glasses till our eyes glass over, and give the same gift as nearly everyone else does, so the couple has 100 microwave ovens. Having said that, my wedding was in a korean church that decorated for christmas early for us. Our reception was at a galbitangjib, which was pretty inexpensive yet delicious, and we had the 2nd round at our 2-tiered house...in-laws dounstairs, my family, friends, korean friends, and co-workers upstairs. Lotsa booze n fun. Having been here 17+ yrs(does that actually matter that much?), I know we did it pretty right, although i wished i coulda splashed a bit more ca$h out 4 the wife. You forgot 2 mention some of the REALLY strange customs at korean weddings that are still not too uncommon, like rockets, dry ice, and bubbles, that i still feel are rather disturbing, but thankfully are becoming less commonly used. Extremely glad ive only had 2 attend 3 catholic weddings in canada...no offense, but those are damnass, long, and boring ceremonies!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mayorgc



Joined: 19 Oct 2008

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's funnier?

The korean wedding hall weddings (as described above).

Or

Western (Canadian/America) wedding ceremonies, with all their pomp and circumstance, ending in divorce maybe 50% of the time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
le-paul



Joined: 07 Apr 2009
Location: dans la chambre

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atwood wrote:
Criticizing Korean weddings is like shooting fish in a barrel.

And unlike a lot of the things folks criticize in Korea, they are easily avoidable.


Sadly, not when you have to get married using one...

Theres no dissuading the in laws when they have so much money to lose...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
r2b2ct



Joined: 14 Jun 2013

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mayorgc wrote:
What's funnier?

The korean wedding hall weddings (as described above).

Or

Western (Canadian/America) wedding ceremonies, with all their pomp and circumstance, ending in divorce maybe 50% of the time.

LOL good point.

I actually like Korean weddings due to practicality. Seriously, not everyone wants to waste all day fawning over your "love." I'll take a 15 minute service plus buffet over that any day. Plus accepting money over blenders and microwaves makes sense to me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mr_thehorse



Joined: 27 Aug 2013

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3DR wrote:
OP is very obsessed. Sad.


http://www.rjkoehler.com/2014/07/07/open-thread-july-7-2014/#disqus_thread

I see he also posted under ajoshi123.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Steelrails



Joined: 12 Mar 2009
Location: Earth, Solar System

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: Korean Weddings Reply with quote

chickenpie wrote:
If you haven't been to one yet this is what you can expect!


Arrive at a building where multiple weddings are being held simultaneously.

Follow signs to wedding hall H

Shake hands with people you really aren’t sure are relatives. Hope you are at the right wedding as the ones to the left and right are in every way identical.

Show up and pay money. Not a meaningful, personal gift (there is no space for those even if you did bring one, and even if there were you would be frowned upon for not giving cash)

Jostle for a seat in a hall with plastic everything. Not a single aspect is organic. A convention room at a third-tier, midwest Howard Johnson would be more natural.

Clap for the bride and groom who enter at a quick pace under some shitty disco lighting and techno music across an aisle made of underlit white plastic.

Stoic-looking, artificially-positioned in-laws are bowed to in the floor-licking subservient way the signifies how progressive and modern Klown culture is.

A 5-minute ceremony by a bored, 85-year-old…. preacher? who repeats the exact same shit every 20 minutes. Everyone is bored shitless, even the bride and groom. Any expectation of sincerity or deeper meaning has now been long abandoned

Some shitty candle is lit by two barbeque-length extendo-Bic lighters (then is quickly blown out to be reused 20 minutes later)

Some friend of the couple comes up to sing some off-key, spleen-shattering “balla-duh” (as apparently every fucking Klown ever born thinks the world wants to hear their talentless fucking renditions of popular songs that weren’t sung with any talent when they were recorded to begin with)

We’re 15 minutes in and everyone claps politely. Those near the back have already made their way to the buffet tables.

Eat in a room with 100 tables. You don’t know where you are supposed to sit since there are people from half a dozen different weddings scattered about in different stages of their meals. There are bottles of soju and klassy paper cups on every table to reflect just how valuable and special the day is.

Watch as the Klowns devour the slops like the pigs they are, splattering food from bow to stern of the place and making noises that a diseased sow would be ashamed of.

Get your parking validated and prepare for the inevitable gut-rot splatter-shits that will follow the “wedding feast”

Never contact your “friends” again out of resentment for having to have traveled out of your way for, and paid for, the “privilege” of being subjected to that horrid half hour.

http://klownisms.wordpress.com/

Not my blog, but I feel it needs to be shared.


Who gives a crap? Its their wedding, not yours. If this is what they want, then let them do it. The wedding day is about making them and their family happy, not YOU.

You talk about it being shallow and empty and having no feeling, but all I see in your post is "ME ME ME ME ME, WHY AREN'T THEY MAKING ME HAPPY!?!?!".

It's THEIR wedding. Attend and give your blessings. Besides, the real ceremony is the private one with just the families that you aren't invited to. The one you go to is basically just a party for everyone to attend and wish well. But of course your article didn't mention that. But hey, why bother to actually find stuff out when instead you can just link to a hate site with an ethnic slur as its title.

Anyways, I don't care for the whole wedding hall thing, and I've known some Koreans who opted for church weddings, but still...

Anyways OP, if you want to compare? Do you know what we'd call someone who goes to someone else's wedding, criticizes every aspect about it, complains, and says "here's what they should have done that would be soooo much better" we call that person a narcissistic, superficial, materialistic *****.

OP is a real-life version of the female villain in a RomCom.

Quote:
Jostle for a seat in a hall with plastic everything. Not a single aspect is organic. A convention room at a third-tier, midwest Howard Johnson would be more natural.

Clap for the bride and groom who enter at a quick pace under some shitty disco lighting and techno music across an aisle made of underlit white plastic.


Oh my gawd Quinn, I just went to Stacy's wedding and it was THE MOST tackiest affair ever, like we get in and the chairs, are get this, PLASTIC. I mean like she couldn't even afford organics or something? The only person that should be more embarrassed than her, was me for having to go there. And get this, they had one of those cheesy DJs with disco lights. Not even a hired band. Like, when I get married, I'm totally going to have my own private chamber orchestra.

Quote:
Never contact your “friends” again out of resentment for having to have traveled out of your way for, and paid for, the “privilege” of being subjected to that horrid half hour.


Well, we are totally done as friends after this and Stacy is totally out of the Fashion Club. I mean we do have standards to uphold. I guess our friendship didn't mean enough to Stacy when she planned this wedding and decided to humiliate us. Don't you agree Tiffany?

Totally...

Gee Sandi, maybe you should just be happy for Stacy, I mean it is HER day and does that stuff even really matter?

QUINN MORGENDORFFER I can see that Stacy's pedestrian ways have infested you as well. Perhaps we should reconsider your membership in the Fashion Club...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cdninkorea



Joined: 27 Jan 2006
Location: Seoul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it hilarious how:

- the wedding hall employees act robotic. They shoot the streamers, you can see them counting "1... 2... 3..." before picking them up, they don't smile, etc.

- most of the guests don't even pretend to pay attention to the ceremony. They talk on their cell phones, let their kids run and dance in the aisle, and sometimes skip it altogether in favour of the buffet.

- you have to get a ticket to get into the buffet. People do crash weddings in North America too, of course, but I'm not sure the solution is something as tacky as a ticket.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
le-paul



Joined: 07 Apr 2009
Location: dans la chambre

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Korean Weddings Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
chickenpie wrote:
If you haven't been to one yet this is what you can expect!


Arrive at a building where multiple weddings are being held simultaneously.

Follow signs to wedding hall H

Shake hands with people you really aren’t sure are relatives. Hope you are at the right wedding as the ones to the left and right are in every way identical.

Show up and pay money. Not a meaningful, personal gift (there is no space for those even if you did bring one, and even if there were you would be frowned upon for not giving cash)

Jostle for a seat in a hall with plastic everything. Not a single aspect is organic. A convention room at a third-tier, midwest Howard Johnson would be more natural.

Clap for the bride and groom who enter at a quick pace under some shitty disco lighting and techno music across an aisle made of underlit white plastic.

Stoic-looking, artificially-positioned in-laws are bowed to in the floor-licking subservient way the signifies how progressive and modern Klown culture is.

A 5-minute ceremony by a bored, 85-year-old…. preacher? who repeats the exact same shit every 20 minutes. Everyone is bored shitless, even the bride and groom. Any expectation of sincerity or deeper meaning has now been long abandoned

Some shitty candle is lit by two barbeque-length extendo-Bic lighters (then is quickly blown out to be reused 20 minutes later)

Some friend of the couple comes up to sing some off-key, spleen-shattering “balla-duh” (as apparently every fucking Klown ever born thinks the world wants to hear their talentless fucking renditions of popular songs that weren’t sung with any talent when they were recorded to begin with)

We’re 15 minutes in and everyone claps politely. Those near the back have already made their way to the buffet tables.

Eat in a room with 100 tables. You don’t know where you are supposed to sit since there are people from half a dozen different weddings scattered about in different stages of their meals. There are bottles of soju and klassy paper cups on every table to reflect just how valuable and special the day is.

Watch as the Klowns devour the slops like the pigs they are, splattering food from bow to stern of the place and making noises that a diseased sow would be ashamed of.

Get your parking validated and prepare for the inevitable gut-rot splatter-shits that will follow the “wedding feast”

Never contact your “friends” again out of resentment for having to have traveled out of your way for, and paid for, the “privilege” of being subjected to that horrid half hour.

http://klownisms.wordpress.com/

Not my blog, but I feel it needs to be shared.


Who gives a crap? Its their wedding, not yours. If this is what they want, then let them do it. The wedding day is about making them and their family happy, not YOU.

You talk about it being shallow and empty and having no feeling, but all I see in your post is "ME ME ME ME ME, WHY AREN'T THEY MAKING ME HAPPY!?!?!".

It's THEIR wedding. Attend and give your blessings. Besides, the real ceremony is the private one with just the families that you aren't invited to. The one you go to is basically just a party for everyone to attend and wish well. But of course your article didn't mention that. But hey, why bother to actually find stuff out when instead you can just link to a hate site with an ethnic slur as its title.

Anyways, I don't care for the whole wedding hall thing, and I've known some Koreans who opted for church weddings, but still...

Anyways OP, if you want to compare? Do you know what we'd call someone who goes to someone else's wedding, criticizes every aspect about it, complains, and says "here's what they should have done that would be soooo much better" we call that person a narcissistic, superficial, materialistic *****.

OP is a real-life version of the female villain in a RomCom.

Quote:
Jostle for a seat in a hall with plastic everything. Not a single aspect is organic. A convention room at a third-tier, midwest Howard Johnson would be more natural.

Clap for the bride and groom who enter at a quick pace under some shitty disco lighting and techno music across an aisle made of underlit white plastic.


Oh my gawd Quinn, I just went to Stacy's wedding and it was THE MOST tackiest affair ever, like we get in and the chairs, are get this, PLASTIC. I mean like she couldn't even afford organics or something? The only person that should be more embarrassed than her, was me for having to go there. And get this, they had one of those cheesy DJs with disco lights. Not even a hired band. Like, when I get married, I'm totally going to have my own private chamber orchestra.

Quote:
Never contact your “friends” again out of resentment for having to have traveled out of your way for, and paid for, the “privilege” of being subjected to that horrid half hour.


Well, we are totally done as friends after this and Stacy is totally out of the Fashion Club. I mean we do have standards to uphold. I guess our friendship didn't mean enough to Stacy when she planned this wedding and decided to humiliate us. Don't you agree Tiffany?

Totally...

Gee Sandi, maybe you should just be happy for Stacy, I mean it is HER day and does that stuff even really matter?

QUINN MORGENDORFFER I can see that Stacy's pedestrian ways have infested you as well. Perhaps we should reconsider your membership in the Fashion Club...


Like I said, it does effect us when we are told we have to go through with this pathetic, empty, plastic charade in order to marry the woman/man we love.

I have to have 3 fecking marriages!
One in the registry office, one korean abomination and one the way I actually want to get married.

I didnt even want to get married once when I was young!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
edwardcatflap



Joined: 22 Mar 2009

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two issues here. Who pays for the thing and how much they get back and the aesthetics of the ceremonies. Personally I think the Korean way of having a pretty cheap ceremony and getting a load of money back works much better than the Western model of the couple forking out an average of around 40,000,000 won (in the UK) and getting a load of microwaves/bread makers etc.. back in return. Especially bearing in mind people are graduating with thousands of pounds in student loan debt and house prices are sky high.

Dealing with the second issue, obviously a cheap wedding is going to look worse and to our Western sensibilities this is all the more true when we see an Asian culture adapting elements to of Western culture to suit themselves. It's a guaranteed recipe for tackiness. However that still doesn't excuse people playing with their smart phones or talking during the ceremony, which is just rude. Having visited Japan recently and noticed quite a strong anti-mobile phone culture, prohibitory signs in restaurants and the like, I think Korea can, and will eventually learn something from their neighbors.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
beentheredonethat777



Joined: 27 Jul 2013
Location: AsiaHaven

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been to EIGHT! This is 100% my experiences at ALL of them! The first time send me into shock mode, but now I'm well- versed.(especially being asked outright" how much money" was in the white envelope, and people leaving half way through to go to the food buffet)

In summary,
Show up, pay the money,get your food ticket, say Hi to the one who invited you, exit right- to all you can eat Buffet**, Take a photo, (proof you were there.) Travel back home.

I don't think the OP was being critical, just writing the facts in a creative blog. Of course, it was just a generalization,everybody lighten up.

IMO, every foreigner should seize the opportunity to experience a Korean Wedding. It's an amazing glimpse into the culture. I have TWO weddings to attend this month, I'll let you if anything has changed.

After TEN weddings, I'll feel more qualified to confirm or dispute the OP.

** A large variety of some of the most amazing food on the planet.It's really hard not to over-stuff yourself.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
edwardcatflap



Joined: 22 Mar 2009

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
** A large variety of some of the most amazing food on the planet.It's really hard not to over-stuff yourself.


I assume you're joshing here. Even by Korean standards wedding buffet food is poor. Low quality meat, lukewarm temperatures, food lying around for hours in tin troughs, bits of one dish mixed up by accident into others.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
northway



Joined: 05 Jul 2010

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korean weddings are awful, but they're often a lot more affordable than their Western counterparts, particularly by "big wedding" standards.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Who's Your Daddy?



Joined: 30 May 2010
Location: The joy's in the ride.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm always surprised by the lack of class in Korea. And the weddings personify that. I think anything classy about a wedding has been removed. And the sad thing is I don't think Koreans notice.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2013 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International