Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korean Weddings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steelrails

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I assume here that the people arguing that such a wedding isn't classy are ready to fork over 40K to spruce it up, right? Other people's money...

But yeah, they're not my cup of tea. The one funny thing I heard about was at a military wedding where they had a sword ceremony where the bride and groom would go through like 6 "gates" of dudes holding swords over their heads. However at each gate they had to face a "trial" such as the groom getting swatted with the swords or having to get ridden by his wife while passing underneath them, and other embarrassing activities. I kinda dig the folksy charm and lightheartedness of that.

Also a friend of mine said she once attended a mob wedding, which was basically a drunk fest with more acts of humiliation, including the wife having to uhm, orally perform, on a banana held at the groom's nethers and the groom likewise having to do so to her on some other object. Crude, but when you're the mob...

Still, I went to a wedding where it had some stupid acts, and while some enjoyed it, my friend, the bride, clearly did not appreciate it to much and had something more romantic and restrained in mind.

On the other hand, another friend of mine was married in a hotel and it was a pretty formal affair. Normal ceremony, 2 hours long with dinner, no buffet, full course meal of filet mignon and swordfish. Of course his family was loaded and he had a high-paying job.

And I had a friend from HS who was married in a wedding hall that while the ceremony was relatively dignified, them being religious and all, the crowd wasn't the best and me and my friends scowling at people nearby talking and playing on their phones.

I say its up to the bride and groom over what they want. If they want more formal and restrained, do it that way (and I've seen it done). If they want something more casual and crowd and part focused, let them. Get a live stream going, have some fun acts and people making fun of themselves, keep it kinda casual and put a smile on everyone's face. I'm willing to bet that people aren't looking at their phones when the groom is getting whacked with swords.

Anyways, as I said and what people don't get, is that the REAL traditional ceremony is a small, private one between the families. The wedding hall thing is not really seen by them the way we see ours.

Last edited by Steelrails on Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:50 am; edited 1 time in total
atwood

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure Korean weddings are so affordable when one has to buy an apartment and fill it with furniture and appliances. That's part of the deal as well.

Close relatives give money for beds, clothes, etc. as well as just those envelopes.

Don't forget the make-up, gown rental, photos, photos, photos, and the video. None of that comes cheap.
jazzmaster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koreans know that Wedding Hall weddings are terrible, and although the article frequently indulges in hyperbole on the whole it fairly accurately depicts most Korean weddings.
That so many younger Koreans are trying to find alternatives, shows that the author is not alone in his dislike of Wedding Hall weddings.
Milwaukiedave

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mayorgc wrote:
What's funnier?

The korean wedding hall weddings (as described above).

Or

Western (Canadian/America) wedding ceremonies, with all their pomp and circumstance, ending in divorce maybe 50% of the time.

Actually most couples do the ceremony first before going to FILE a marriage certificate (marriage in Korea is based on Civil law and a matter of filling out paperwork).. That way if it doesn't work out, there IS no divorce. But hey, they got the nice wedding anyway.
northway

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atwood wrote:
I'm not sure Korean weddings are so affordable when one has to buy an apartment and fill it with furniture and appliances. That's part of the deal as well.

Close relatives give money for beds, clothes, etc. as well as just those envelopes.

Don't forget the make-up, gown rental, photos, photos, photos, and the video. None of that comes cheap.

As opposed to those in the West who live without furniture and appliances, right? Western weddings at the tune of $20,000 (for a cheap one) don't negate the need for those things.
atwood

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

northway wrote:
atwood wrote:

As opposed to those in the West who live without furniture and appliances, right? Western weddings at the tune of $20,000 (for a cheap one) don't negate the need for those things.

But they're not considered necessary as a part of the wedding.

Plus, most people in the West don't live with their parents until (or even after) marriage. They've already got a house or apartment, furniture, appliances, etc.

When you can go to a justice of the peace and get married for very, very little, $20,000 might be overstating the "cheap" Western wedding. The average is a bit less than $30,000 so IMO a cheap one would be a lot less than your claimed $20,000.

Especially for NETs who are living rent free in Korea and basically don't have a pot to piss in. Considering that, I can understand why marrying in Korea and letting your new in-laws foot the bill seems like a mighty good deal.

Very Happy
northway

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atwood wrote:
northway wrote:
atwood wrote:

But they're not considered necessary as a part of the wedding.

Plus, most people in the West don't live with their parents until (or even after) marriage. They've already got a house or apartment, furniture, appliances, etc.

When you can go to a justice of the peace and get married for very, very little, $20,000 might be overstating the "cheap" Western wedding. The average is a bit less than $30,000 so IMO a cheap one would be a lot less than your claimed $20,000.

I was referring to weddings on the Korean scale. You can get legally married without a wedding in Korea as well.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyways, the point is that the OP's rant is the rant of a spoiled, shallow, materialistic, narcissistic, selfish, fashion queen. He just put it in male words.
seoulsucker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got married in Korea.

The name of the hall was "M Convention Wedding Hall."

The website is......
.wait for it
.http://www.mcwedding.co.kr/
northway

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seoulsucker wrote:
I got married in Korea.

The name of the hall was "M Convention Wedding Hall."

The website is......
.wait for it
.http://www.mcwedding.co.kr/

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner.
atwood

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Anyways, the point is that the OP's rant is the rant of a spoiled, shallow, materialistic, narcissistic, selfish, fashion queen. He just put it in male words.

"The point"? No, that's YOUR point.

Let others speak for themselves.
cj1976

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korean weddings are huge shakedowns. The wedding itself is just a means of collecting money owed to the parents for the weddings they have shelled out to attend over the years.
That's just the Korean way. Everything comes down to an envelope stuffed with money.
Fox

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
So, I assume here that the people arguing that such a wedding isn't classy are ready to fork over 40K to spruce it up, right?

My solution to Korean weddings not being "classy" was to refuse to have a wedding ceremony at all. Someone previously suggested that in-laws wouldn't take "no" for an answer on such an account. Well, they took it from me.
cj1976

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Steelrails wrote:
So, I assume here that the people arguing that such a wedding isn't classy are ready to fork over 40K to spruce it up, right?

My solution to Korean weddings not being "classy" was to refuse to have a wedding ceremony at all. Someone previously suggested that in-laws wouldn't take "no" for an answer on such an account. Well, they took it from me.

I bet they were pissed with you. That's a lot of wedge they couldn't collect. These people are quite shrewd with cash. I have seen a lot of people pull out little journals that document the weddings they have paid for, so they can check the guests have reciprocated duly.
cj1976

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weddings here are functional and a means of collecting coin.
They don't really compare to the all-day and all-night boozefests of British weddings. Ceremony, start drinking at lunch, hammered by evening, mobile disco,copping off with someone outside, maybe a few arguments at the end, home.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: