Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feeling Unattractive When Back in the West
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maitaidads

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:25 pm    Post subject: Feeling Unattractive When Back in the West Reply with quote

Does anyone else get this sensation? When I'm at home, in Korea, people tend to be complimentary and tell me I'm handsome or strong. When I go back to my birth country, people just aren't as honest or forthcoming. The west's lack of sharing really brings me down a bit and I think they shame me to the point where I don't feel as handsome/confident as I should (am).
How does everyone else deal with this? Should I just write off the other hemisphere (seriously considering it)?
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different looks are popular in different countries.

I actually had "more attention" in Canada than here. Very Happy
r2b2ct

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: Feeling Unattractive When Back in the West Reply with quote

maitaidads wrote:
Does anyone else get this sensation? When I'm at home, in Korea, people tend to be complimentary and tell me I'm handsome or strong. When I go back to my birth country, people just aren't as honest or forthcoming. The west's lack of sharing really brings me down a bit and I think they shame me to the point where I don't feel as handsome/confident as I should (am).
How does everyone else deal with this? Should I just write off the other hemisphere (seriously considering it)?

lol nice
maitaidads

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Feeling Unattractive When Back in the West Reply with quote

r2b2ct wrote:
maitaidads wrote:

lol nice

Right? I'm at home in Korea where they see me for me: handsome. I don't get the recognition back there (North American west coast) that I do here. I really don't get why they're not more honest and selfless back there. It gets to the point where I don't want to get super dressed up for the evening.
Hokie21

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the real question here is why do you feel like you need to be complimented on your appearance?

Last edited by Hokie21 on Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
fermentation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are way too concerned about your looks and what other people think of you.
Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must be Korean?

I wish for the anonymity of the west.
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Korea because if you're good -looking, a lot of people will tell you.

In the west people were too afraid to say it because they didn't want to seem shallow.
Stain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There sure are a lot of handsome people on this thread.
Hokie21

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaparrastique wrote:

In the west people were too afraid to say it because they didn't want to seem shallow.

Even if you had a horn growing out of your forehead Koreans would tell you that you're handsome or beautiful.

A Korean saying, "You're so handsome." Is like a westerner saying, "Nice to meet you." It's meaningless.
mr_thehorse

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hokie21 wrote:
Chaparrastique wrote:

Even if you had a horn growing out of your forehead Koreans would tell you that you're handsome or beautiful.

A Korean saying, "You're so handsome." Is like a westerner saying, "Nice to meet you." It's meaningless.

+1. Chaparrastique, you have been here long enough to know this.
Stain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr_thehorse wrote:
Hokie21 wrote:
Chaparrastique wrote:

+1. Chaparrastique, you have been here long enough to know this.

I punish students who tell me I'm handsome.
le-paul

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell the difference between a fake and real compliment about looks here.

1/ when teenage girls giggle and say it in Korean to each other thinking I dont understand.
2/ when handsome follows some sort of sound such as 'ooohh'.
3 / when i get stared at and i smile - they smile back ( i take that as a compliment).
4/ when the compliment is not handsome but something like 'your face is very nice'.

But yes, i punish boys for this - and usually tell them its a bit gay. Girls, i tell them they are very pretty too and then they either realise im just giving an empty compliment or are so caught up in the attention their own ego takes over - either way, they stop.

But as for OP, Id say I get a lot more attention back home.

You could also re word your question and ask 'do western girls pay any attention to you in korea?'. ' or do you usually have to pick up the fuglies?'.
Sector7G

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hokie21 wrote:
Chaparrastique wrote:

Well, I would not go so far as them not remarking on the horn in a negative way-they can be pretty blunt about physical appearances.

But you're right about the free use of the word handsome. It reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where Elaine was excited when the doctor described her as "breathtaking", only to find out later he used that term a lot, including for the "really ugly baby".
Stu_miller

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I genuinely thought this thread was a wind-up but it seems to have been taken seriously.

The mind boggles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: