Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Public pool supervision / lack thereof
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
optik404

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cabeza wrote:
Steelrails wrote:

You're not telling the complete story BC. The comments aren't phrased like that. They invariably use the word "Korean" and often take the forms of rants and raves, not carefully considered questions.

To be fair, no one mentioned anything about Korea until you arrived.

The original post sentence:

Quote:
I want to slap the lifeguards at my local pool.

They're always on their phones, and more often than not with earphones or headphones on. And they sit with their backs to the wading pool where the kids play, and I've never once seen them turn around.

His local pool lifeguards suck. Not Korean lifeguards.

OP said in the first post he wants to use the word "clown" but didn't.
cabeza

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clown is a word that has been used as an insult for years. A pretty minor insult. It's only recently with the "Klown" BS that its become this unspeakable word for some the loons here. He spoke to that by using a "c" and not using it.
I've called people clowns before. I watched a doco the other night and the guy called a record exec a clown. It fits a certain situation. Someone who is a wally. Doesnt do basic things correctly. It can't be used now in any situation?
optik404

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cabeza wrote:
Clown is a word that has been used as an insult for years. A pretty minor insult. It's only recently with the "Klown" BS that its become this unspeakable word for some the loons here. He spoke to that by using a "c" and not using it.
I've called people clowns before. I watched a doco the other night and the guy called a record exec a clown. It fits a certain situation. Someone who is a wally. Doesnt do basic things correctly. It can't be used now in any situation?

Oh you know exactly what he meant.

Besides, CC and atwood mentioned Korea before steelrails.
cabeza

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

optik404 wrote:
cabeza wrote:

In the grand scheme of things they were pretty tame comments. White knighting was not required.

This is thing with the whole apologist vs basher (and i really dont think this was a basher thread at all) thing. Both sides ride into arguments guns blazing. Sometimes its warranted, often its not.
Mr. BlackCat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

optik404 wrote:
cabeza wrote:
Steelrails wrote:

You're not telling the complete story BC. The comments aren't phrased like that. They invariably use the word "Korean" and often take the forms of rants and raves, not carefully considered questions.

Quote:

They're always on their phones, and more often than not with earphones or headphones on. And they sit with their backs to the wading pool where the kids play, and I've never once seen them turn around.

Right, implying the OP didn't want to make this about Korea, but rather the individual guards at his local pool. You're proving the exact opposite point you're attempting to make.
atwood

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

optik404 wrote:
cabeza wrote:

I didn't mention Korea before sr began his whole American lifeguards are all deadbeat potheads schtick and even then not until he decided he'd up the ante and describe a broad swathe of Americans that way.

Even then I didn't say anything about Korean lifeguards. I brought up the Korean military only because sr loves to toot his horn for them.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was a lifeguard, had friends who were lifeguards, dated lifeguards and none of them were getting stoned on the job.

Yea, these guys are all stoners:

http://www.usla.org/?page=nationalsresults

As for pizza delivery wages:
Quote:
These workers earned a median wage of $10.95 an hour or $22,770 a year as of May 2011, according to the BLS. The lowest-paid 10 percent made $8.01 an hour, while the highest-paid 10 percent earned $21.98 or more. However, because pizza delivery drivers earn tips and may be classified as wait staff by a restaurant, their actual hourly wages may be much lower than that.

And then you have to use your own car, so there's wear and tear on it, maintenance and the smell.

Waiters' pay will of course vary depending on the restaurant. The type of place where you can really earn isn't going to typically hire part-timers.

So lifeguards in the U.S. don't do jack, nor do firefighters or police officers. None of them are professionals who wear their uniforms with pride.

Yea, right.

First off, I mentioned the firefighters things because my roomate, an ex-firefighter for the City of Detroit (and I've mentioned him before, so don't play that card), told me about how on his FIRST week on the job, his section chief and another dude were smoking a J on their way to a fire in the truck. Now, this wasn't some big conflagration, it was like a trashcan fire or something and they were probably getting stoned in mental preparation for whatever civilian nonsense awaited them. Later on in his career, he got involved in an accident and as per policy he had to go into a test. His union rep promptly gave him a clean kit (not that he'd been dirty), told him every step of how to beat the thing and then told him the union had other methods as well. Clearly this was not the first time this had been spoken. Another time me and my friends were looking at a house that came with a bomb shelter, the house owned by a firefighter who straight up told us it made an excellent storage space or grow room.

And this is not to trash the Detroit Fire Dept. They are severely underfunded and deal with a lot of nonsense. In the end they do put their lives on the line and deal with a lot ingratitude and dangerous situations. From having to lug down 500 lb. shutins doen 20 flights of stairs to getting shot at as they try to put out a blaze. But we've too many things go down, from police being busted for being members of a gang. To hearing on a cop's radio "Two males spotted with an AK at Cross St." and having them promptly return to their cokes to auto plant workers being busted getting stoned on lunch break to a teacher getting busted in a raid at a crack den, there's too much out there for me to buy the company line about everyone responsible for safety being 100% vigilant and having safety first in their hearts.

Anyways, go ahead and believe that everyone back home is an angel and 100% attentive to their duties. You're being incredibly naive if you think that is so. It's like someone claiming that Korean cops all do their job and uphold the law and aren't busy looking into hookers or getting a buzz on during lunch.
goat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. BlackCat wrote:
I'm sorry, even if every lifeguard who ever worked in the US was stoned what the hell does it have to do with the OP? I am genuinely confused.

Could you imagine the inverse SteelRails? Like a guy in the US who compared everything you ever said to Korea?

"Man, traffic was bad today."
"TRAFFIC IS JUST AS BAD IN KOREA!"

"My neighbours had a party last night and kept me up till 2am!"
"KOREANS ARE LOUDER!"

"Did you hear about that tornado that hit Oklahoma?"
"IN 1973 MORE KOREANS DIED IN A TYPHOON!"

"That latest shooting reminds me that our country has a problem with gun violence."
"THERE WAS ONE SHOOTING IN KOREA SEVERAL YEARS AGO AND THEREFORE GUNS ARE NOT A PROBLEM IN THE USA!"

"This guy was talking loudly during the movie. It was really annoying."
"EVERY SINGLE PERSON TALKS LOUDLY DURING THE MOVIES IN KOREA, SO THEREFORE YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO BE ANNOYED, YOU ANTI-AMERICAN TRASH!"

"The lifeguards at the beach weren't paying attention today which I find unacceptable."
"EVERY SINGLE LIFEGUARD WHO HAS EVER WORKED IN KOREA HAS BEEN STONED, SO THEREFORE IF YOUR CHILD WOULD HAVE DIED TODAY DUE TO THEIR NEGLIGENCE IT WOULD HAVE MEANT NOTHING! ALSO, WHY DO YOU HATE AMERICA?!"

Could anyone here imagine hanging out with someone like that?

THIS!

nail on head
optik404

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. BlackCat wrote:
optik404 wrote:
cabeza wrote:
Steelrails wrote:

Quote:

Right, implying the OP didn't want to make this about Korea, but rather the individual guards at his local pool. You're proving the exact opposite point you're attempting to make.

If OP didn't want to make this about Korea, he wouldn't have put clown in parentheses and tiny font.
optik404

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atwood wrote:
optik404 wrote:
cabeza wrote:

I didn't mention Korea before sr began his whole American lifeguards are all deadbeat potheads schtick and even then not until he decided he'd up the ante and describe a broad swathe of Americans that way.

Even then I didn't say anything about Korean lifeguards. I brought up the Korean military only because sr loves to toot his horn for them.

You mentioned Samsung, LG, and SK and the lot, which is the same thing.
atwood

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Quote:
I was a lifeguard, had friends who were lifeguards, dated lifeguards and none of them were getting stoned on the job.

Yea, these guys are all stoners:

http://www.usla.org/?page=nationalsresults

As for pizza delivery wages:
Quote:
These workers earned a median wage of $10.95 an hour or $22,770 a year as of May 2011, according to the BLS. The lowest-paid 10 percent made $8.01 an hour, while the highest-paid 10 percent earned $21.98 or more. However, because pizza delivery drivers earn tips and may be classified as wait staff by a restaurant, their actual hourly wages may be much lower than that.

And then you have to use your own car, so there's wear and tear on it, maintenance and the smell.

Waiters' pay will of course vary depending on the restaurant. The type of place where you can really earn isn't going to typically hire part-timers.

So lifeguards in the U.S. don't do jack, nor do firefighters or police officers. None of them are professionals who wear their uniforms with pride.

Yea, right.

First off, I mentioned the firefighters things because my roomate, an ex-firefighter for the City of Detroit (and I've mentioned him before, so don't play that card), told me about how on his FIRST week on the job, his section chief and another dude were smoking a J on their way to a fire in the truck. Now, this wasn't some big conflagration, it was like a trashcan fire or something and they were probably getting stoned in mental preparation for whatever civilian nonsense awaited them. Later on in his career, he got involved in an accident and as per policy he had to go into a test. His union rep promptly gave him a clean kit (not that he'd been dirty), told him every step of how to beat the thing and then told him the union had other methods as well. Clearly this was not the first time this had been spoken. Another time me and my friends were looking at a house that came with a bomb shelter, the house owned by a firefighter who straight up told us it made an excellent storage space or grow room.

And this is not to trash the Detroit Fire Dept. They are severely underfunded and deal with a lot of nonsense. In the end they do put their lives on the line and deal with a lot ingratitude and dangerous situations. From having to lug down 500 lb. shutins doen 20 flights of stairs to getting shot at as they try to put out a blaze. But we've too many things go down, from police being busted for being members of a gang. To hearing on a cop's radio "Two males spotted with an AK at Cross St." and having them promptly return to their cokes to auto plant workers being busted getting stoned on lunch break to a teacher getting busted in a raid at a crack den, there's too much out there for me to buy the company line about everyone responsible for safety being 100% vigilant and having safety first in their hearts.

Anyways, go ahead and believe that everyone back home is an angel and 100% attentive to their duties. You're being incredibly naive if you think that is so. It's like someone claiming that Korean cops all do their job and uphold the law and aren't busy looking into hookers or getting a buzz on during lunch.

To believe that a majority do their jobs well and with pride is not being incredibly naive.

Stoned firefighters--did you meet them while delivering pizzas to the station or when they came into the convenience store to buy some Twinkies?

People tell stories--what's naive is to believe that they are the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

And toking aside, they put out the fire didn't they? They were on the stick, not on the smartphone.
Mr. BlackCat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we all agree that SR is like that girl from American Pie?

"This one time at band camp..."

Except switch 'band camp' with 'the US'.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. BlackCat wrote:

As opposed to the originality that is the posters who chime in about how Koreans are the biggest asshats in the world?

Funny how people rag on Koreans for being a bunch of yes men, yet seem to spazz if someone disagrees with their view on Korea.

"Korea is uniquely and exceptionally bad compared to the rest of the world. Their culture causes it."
"Well other cultures do the same thing..."
"How dare you disagree with me and bring up other cultures because I compare Korea to other cultures and comment on the unique aspects of their culture."

Ajosshis and bashers, two sides of the same coin.
atwood

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Mr. BlackCat wrote:

As opposed to the originality that is the posters who chime in about how Koreans are the biggest asshats in the world?

Funny how people rag on Koreans for being a bunch of yes men, yet seem to spazz if someone disagrees with their view on Korea.

"Korea is uniquely and exceptionally bad compared to the rest of the world. Their culture causes it."
"How dare you disagree with me and bring up other cultures because I compare Korea to other cultures and comment on the unique aspects of their culture."

Ajosshis and sr, two sides of the same coin.
fezmond

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atwood wrote:
Steelrails wrote:
Mr. BlackCat wrote:

Ajosshis and sr, two sides of the same coin.

No, ajosshis often don't know they're being cunts (no excuse). SR has chosen to be a cunt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: