Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Do I Report Racist Hiring Practices?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hypnotoad777

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: How Do I Report Racist Hiring Practices? Reply with quote

I am a teacher working for a public school and I want to report some racist hiring practices that have disturbed me.

I found out that the reason I was hired (and not the original male, African-American applicant assigned by my district) was because the principal assumed that because he was black, that he would be a sexual threat to female students.

Also, I believe that the district which assigned him is somewhat liable and should not be assigning applicants based on the principal's racial preference. Does anybody know who / where / how I can report this?

Any concrete advice about what legal / political / actual steps can be taken? (as opposed to lamenting about how broken Korea is or aimless theorizing.)

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by hypnotoad777 on Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: How Do I Report Racist Hiring Practices? Reply with quote

hypnotoad777 wrote:
I want to report some racist hiring practices that have disturbed me.

. Does anybody know who / where / how I can report this?

You could try reporting it to the nazi party headquarters, it'd have about the same effect lol.
optik404

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, when you needed a job, it was ok, but now that your contract is up, you're all warrior for justice.

Reporting it won't do anything, it's your word against a principal of a school.
Kepler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact the National Human Rights Commission. They helped Bonojit Hussain after he was mistreated by police for being Indian.

Click English under “Multilingual Complaint Guide”
http://www.humanrights.go.kr/english/main/index.jsp
bossface

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

optik404 wrote:
So, when you needed a job, it was ok, but now that your contract is up, you're all warrior for justice.

+1
andrewchon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing to is:
1. Find out the political party affiliation of the district's education head honcho. It's either Saenuri party or New politics Democratic Unity Party
2. Feed the information to the opposition. There are bye-elections happening in July 30th. Saenuri's candidte for Education ministership, Kim Myung Soo, is already getting hammered for being a clueless copycat. Teachers are demonstrating against the government crackdown of union activists. Either way, another scandal in education field would be useful.
3. Leave the country.

Voter's reactions are hard to predict. They'll probably thank the district head and the principal for having the 'Gangnam Style'. Laughing
beentheredonethat777

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: How Do I Report Racist Hiring Practices? Reply with quote

That was the funniest post I've read in a long time!

Report what to whom?

That is a regular part of every day life here.

You must be from across the pond/ocean

I was feeling a little down until I came across your post.

They've come a long way here but discriminating against someone because of their race (face, size, shape, marital status,family name, orientation, family name )is not one of the accomplishments.

My boss told me was scared to hire a black man because maybe he'd

have big muscles and try to get his way. and maybe even bring a gun.

He even asked me if my co-worker(who is black) ever had her boyfriend come to her apartment? He said he wouldn't tolerate a black man living in his apartment!

Oh wait, you wanted some hints as what you could do or who you could tell? Nothing and no one. Because the people you would "tell" would more than likely in agreement with the principal. Thanks for the confession, though.
JFP2020

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Report to whom is right. It is not illegal.
wooden nickels

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post has raised the bar! It's going to be difficult to best this one.

Laughing
rollo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact ATEK. Or a letter to the U.N. human rights commission. n. Either should have this sorted out in a jiffy. Post of the year. Pure comic gold.
Sesame

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The op is as soft and beta as they come. Filled with white guilt like a little girl. We're always told about white privilege, embrace it fool, it was given to you at birth <sarcasm>. Dont look a gift horse in the mouth.

op sounds VERY wet behind the ears.
northway

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In no particular order, you can contact:

1) Obama
2) the NAACP
3) the Southern Poverty Law Center
4) Jesse Jackson (the Emperor of Black People)
5) Kim Jong-Il (clearly not racist, lots of black friends, will probably take care of it)
6) Hillary Clinton (she's desperately looking to change the subject)
7) Fox News (they can bring attention to the issue while defending such hiring practices)
Cool UNHRC (I know, we already covered this one)
9) Park Geun-Hye
10) Captain America
Kepler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A story shared on the National Human Rights Commission of Korea (NHRCK) website:

"Mr. B, an Ethiopian filed a complaint to the NHRCK after he was denied to enter a restaurant in Itaewon because of his race. Despite the relative rarity of such discrimination and the fact that it was due to an unavoidable circumstance to protect the safety and rights of a large number of other customers, the NHRCK saw it as an act of discrimination in using commercial facilities. The NHRCK recommended that the restaurant rectify such discriminatory practice, classifying the case as a violation of the International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination."

That kind of response is probably the best that you can hope for if you make a complaint. The school can't actually be punished for something that isn't illegal.
andrewchon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

northway wrote:
In no particular order, you can contact:

5) Kim Jong-Il (clearly not racist, lots of black friends, will probably take care of it)

I think you meant Kim Jung Eun. Kim Jong Il has passed away.

Could also add: Louis Farrakhan. Laughing
radcon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kepler wrote:
A story shared on the National Human Rights Commission of Korea (NHRCK) website:

and the fact that it was due to an unavoidable circumstance to protect the safety and rights of a large number of other customers

WHAT THE EFF! This is worse than no response at all from an organization that is supposed to protect human rights. What an effin joke the NHRCK must be. I want the NHRCK to explain how the human rights of the other patrons were being protected by not allowing a black guy in the restaurant.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: