Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More Korean Blackface Comedy Gold
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So basically you're saying that it's okay to teach kids racism through silly comedy?
cam83

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Mix1 wrote:

Actually, if Koreans did do a "white-face" skit, I'm guessing almost nobody on here would be against it, and some might even pull a 180 and applaud the action. (right, cam83?Wink)

Well, I do remember people telling me how bad and wrong I was for suggesting that Japanese whiteface advertisement some time back was fine, so I'm sure at least someone here would speak up about Koreans doing the same thing. I assume Cam would just say that it's up to Whites to decide what is offensive to Whites. I for one would be fine with Koreans occasionally doing some whiteface jokes. If they were constantly engaging in this kind of thing regarding some group or another then it would probably be indicative of some weird fixation, but being able to occasionally joke around about other groups is natural enough, and the absence of political-correctness hysteria is healthy.

Your assumption is correct Fox, but id like to ask you Mix1, has there ever been a white face skit on korean tv? If not why do you think this is (according to you, they do the whole dehumanizing racist thing to everyone).

Please enlighten us as to what you envision a white face skit to actually look like... Im dying to know.
Hokie21

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cam83 wrote:
Fox wrote:
Mix1 wrote:

Actually, if Koreans did do a "white-face" skit, I'm guessing almost nobody on here would be against it, and some might even pull a 180 and applaud the action. (right, cam83?Wink)

Well, I do remember people telling me how bad and wrong I was for suggesting that Japanese whiteface advertisement some time back was fine, so I'm sure at least someone here would speak up about Koreans doing the same thing. I assume Cam would just say that it's up to Whites to decide what is offensive to Whites. I for one would be fine with Koreans occasionally doing some whiteface jokes. If they were constantly engaging in this kind of thing regarding some group or another then it would probably be indicative of some weird fixation, but being able to occasionally joke around about other groups is natural enough, and the absence of political-correctness hysteria is healthy.

Your assumption is correct Fox, but id like to ask you Mix1, has there ever been a white face skit on korean tv? If not why do you think this is (according to you, they do the whole dehumanizing racist thing to everyone).

Please enlighten us as to what you envision a white face skit to actually look like... Im dying to know.

Here is a "white face" ad that come out of Japan earlier this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXt7u8baI1g
cam83

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hokie21 wrote:
cam83 wrote:
Fox wrote:
Mix1 wrote:

Yeah i dont really want to star making a list of other countries who have used it but specifically korea... Im not saying your point is irrelevant its just that im hearing a lot of 'if's' and hypothetical guess work. I dont watch tv, so im wondering whether this has happened where whiteface was used to dehumanize white people... I await the links.

Also what do you white people in this thread imagine a white face skit to be like? I mean what do you feel is the negative portrayal?
Mix1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cam83 wrote:
Fox wrote:
Mix1 wrote:

There might be differing degrees and frequencies of it, but do you deny they can ridicule/dehumanize other groups too? Or is it just limited to your special group?

Anyway, as I predicted, some on here would be virtually applauding some whiteface jokes, and they've now made themselves known.

But at least Fox is consistent, as he seems to be fine with the blackface jokes as well.

Cam83, on the other hand, changes his tune when the color changes.
"Only OUR group can ever feel dehumanized or offended! No one else can!" Right?

And I already know where your line of questioning is going...
According to your special, unique, incomplete definition of racism, there is no racism unless it's "institutionalized" racism. Therefore, according to you, whites can basically never be victims of racism, and therefore, whiteface jokes are fine in your view, while blackface jokes are racist and dehumanizing.
Does that sound about right?

BOTH actions are similar and potentially demeaning, but one major difference is the RESPONSES to them are very different. It's an interesting inconsistency:

"These people are idiots!" ...Hey! That's dehumanizing! Apologize!
"These people are idiots!" ... Ha ha! Yeah they sure are! Screw 'em!

Quote:

I'm sure you are. I bet you'd enjoy watching it.
Mix1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hokie21 wrote:

Not really all that offensive IMO. Yes, it's a caricature/stereotype, but they aren't specifically making anyone out to look stupid or primitive. That's one difference.

But... if the reverse happened, and a white business exec wore yellow face paint and small eyes to try to look Asian, I'm guessing there would be plenty of complaints. Even worse reaction if he put on black face.

Inconsistent reactions and slight double standard going on. But oh well...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Page 12 of 12

Jump to: