Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More Korean Blackface Comedy Gold
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmxc

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:46 pm    Post subject: More Korean Blackface Comedy Gold Reply with quote

Korea, paragon of respect for ethnic diversity, entertains audiences all over the world with more comedy gold involving blackface.

Yes, I most certainly feel overcome with respect for the 5000 years of culture and refinement that have given us Kpoop and Hellyu.

Gag Concert offends with another witless blackface gag
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2014/07/511_160671.html
3DR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seriously doubt they will ever get it. Sad.
Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"state-run network KBS"
r2b2ct

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Video here

http://iamkoream.com/korean-comedians-wear-blackface-again-will-they-ever-stop/

Apparently part of the costume was also an ugly yellow-teeth mouthpiece.
mr_thehorse

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: More Korean Blackface Comedy Gold Reply with quote

disgusting.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: More Korean Blackface Comedy Gold Reply with quote

cmxc wrote:
Korea, paragon of respect for ethnic diversity, entertains audiences all over the world with more comedy gold involving blackface.

Yes, I most certainly feel overcome with respect for the 5000 years of culture and refinement that have given us Kpoop and Hellyu.

While I agree that this is wrong, its ridiculous to blame Koreans for "not getting it", as though they are some exception to the rule.

http://www.salon.com/2014/07/08/ashton_kutcher_does_brownface_again/

And they don't have the history with race relations and blackface that we do.
optik404

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it still racist if they did the same act without the blackface?
jvalmer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

optik404 wrote:
Is it still racist if they did the same act without the blackface?

Yes, but it would have been ignored on here because most on Daves wouldn't understand it.
radcon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackface aside, is this stuff funny? The audience is in stitches. A sense of humor matters and is an element of intelligence. Simple people laugh at simple things. Where is the Korean Carlin, Hicks,Stanhope, etc etc...
Fox

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3DR wrote:
I seriously doubt they will ever get it.

Of course they won't, because they have no sense of guilt. The people of the West did not suddenly wake up one morning and embrace a regime of radical race sensitivity. Rather, the history of the European people -- specifically the parts revolving around conquering and enslaving peoples of other ethnicities -- left them with a deep sense of collective guilt which resulted in such a regime. Westerners feel uncomfortable with something like Black face because (some, but we're taught to pretend all) westerners enslaved and oppressed Black people. Lacking a similar history of intense cultural guilt, of course most Koreans aren't going to see what's wrong with a little Black face here or there.
le-paul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: More Korean Blackface Comedy Gold Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
cmxc wrote:

While I agree that this is wrong, its ridiculous to blame Koreans for "not getting it", as though they are some exception to the rule.

Yeah, in america people blah blah blah
Nester Noodlemon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: More Korean Blackface Comedy Gold Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
cmxc wrote:

Yeah, even though it's wrong, … WHAT????????

Most Koreans get it! They know it's wrong! They don't care! It's the same as when some **** is giving you the stare on the subway or is standing 3 meters away and pointing at you and talking about you. If you immediately do the same thing to that person they become very uncomfortable.

I can and will blame those who do these things.
misher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

And?

Look I get the whole "They don't have the history/ guilt complex that the west has so how would they know it offends" argument.

However, if someone did "Korean face" in my country you can sure as hell bet that Koreans would be up in arms. I guess they shouldn't be allowed to not like it though because there is no history of slaving and humiliating Korean people by my country. However in my experience, Koreans are some of the biggest complainers/whiners when anything remotely prejudiced is directed at them.

Steelrails don't bother apologizing for this one. You look like an idiot.
cj1976

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched this when it was broadcast and I was dumbfounded. I expected this level of stupidity from the cast of Gag Concert, but it was the audience reaction that disappointed me more. They all seemed young and presumably educated, but they were all howling with laughter.
My immediate thought was how well it be received here if African comics dressed up in slitty eyed, ching chong costume and riffed about Koreans. People here would not see the funny side of it.
Sometimes, I fucking hate this country.
Fox

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

misher wrote:

However, if someone did "Korean face" in my country you can sure as hell bet that Koreans would be up in arms.

Some would, some wouldn't, but those that did would be doing so because they actually felt insulted, not because they were feigning offense to seek status among their culturally neurotic fellows. More importantly, people being offended isn't in and of itself a big deal from an ethical perspective. Some Chinese people get upset by that South Park character with the goofy accent? So what, it's a cartoon. Some Africans get upset by a stupid comedy show put on by some of the least funny people in the globe? Unimportant, it's a stupid comedy show produced by people with one of the least sophisticated senses of humor in the developed world. Some White people get upset by a Japanese commercial where a Japanese woman has a big white nose and a blonde wig? For God's sake, we should be above caring what goes on in Japanese commercials. The fact that our society's ethics have degenerated into something fixated on such trivia is ridiculous.

misher wrote:
I guess they shouldn't be allowed to not like it though because there is no history of slaving and humiliating Korean people by my country.

Sounds fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: