Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another dead to American gun crime!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fox

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon wrote:
So it turns out that This whole gay thing is just the tip of the iceberg of Archie comic weirdness.

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/4-ways-archie-comics-have-gone-f2A2A2Aing-crazy/

I suggest watching the video in entry #3

So this is what informs Steelrails' inner world? Next time someone goes on an "I hate Steelrails" rant, we should just remind them that the psychological scars of an Archie fan run deep and that he's doing the best he can?

Actually that doesn't seem too bad compared to the the crap that has happened in Superman and Batman comics over the years.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuros wrote:
Steelrails wrote:
Quote:
People don't vote from their economic interests. They vote based on values.

People vote for a lot of reasons.

Jonathan Haidt's research has revealed that they vote more based on values than any other reason.

http://chronicle.com/article/Jonathan-Haidt-Decodes-the/130453/

http://www.ted.com/talks/jonathan_haidt_on_the_moral_mind

You may have also heard of "What's the Matter with Kansas?" Well: http://www.slate.com/articles/business/moneybox/2008/11/whats_the_matter_with_greenwich.html

Finally, notice states which subsidize the rest of the nation through the Federal tax code tend to vote blue:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_taxation_and_spending_by_state

http://nickpaleologos.blogspot.com/2013/02/green-states-pay-more-in-federal-taxes.html

Yes that explains why people lean a certain way. It does NOT explain their voting. Voting and what you believe are two different things.

My parents were classic pocketbook voters. They normally voted Republican, but there were times when Democratic candidates supported specific issues, like airport funding or other things that directly affected my parents' bottom line and they would cross party lines. Think Charles Barkley who was a Democrat until he got his first NBA paycheck.

Lots of people vote their financial interests. If one wants to vote for the good if society, fine. If one wants to vote their interests, fine.

If some Democrat promised to cut a check for 50k to everyone in the state if he got ekected, you don't think a bunch of thise values voters in Kansas would run across the aisle?

Lucas wrote:
Quote:
He could still die taking a bullet, but there should be something 'funny' in it.

They could shoot him up the a-hole, and he could bleed out. Rolling Eyes

Are you an Archie fan? If not, then maybe you don't get it.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuros wrote:
Steelrails wrote:
Quote:
People don't vote from their economic interests. They vote based on values.

People vote for a lot of reasons.

Jonathan Haidt's research has revealed that they vote more based on values than any other reason.

http://chronicle.com/article/Jonathan-Haidt-Decodes-the/130453/

http://www.ted.com/talks/jonathan_haidt_on_the_moral_mind

You may have also heard of "What's the Matter with Kansas?" Well: http://www.slate.com/articles/business/moneybox/2008/11/whats_the_matter_with_greenwich.html

Finally, notice states which subsidize the rest of the nation through the Federal tax code tend to vote blue:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_taxation_and_spending_by_state

http://nickpaleologos.blogspot.com/2013/02/green-states-pay-more-in-federal-taxes.html

Yes that explains why people lean a certain way. It does NOT explain their voting. Voting and what you believe are two different things.

My parents were classic pocketbook voters. They normally voted Republican, but there were times when Democratic candidates supported specific issues, like airport funding or other things that directly affected my parents' bottom line and they would cross party lines. Think Charles Barkley who was a Democrat until he got his first NBA paycheck.

Lots of people vote their financial interests. If one wants to vote for the good if society, fine. If one wants to vote their interests, fine.

If some Democrat promised to cut a check for 50k to everyone in the state if he got ekected, you don't think a bunch of thise values voters in Kansas would run across the aisle?

Lucas wrote:
Quote:
He could still die taking a bullet, but there should be something 'funny' in it.

They could shoot him up the a-hole, and he could bleed out. Rolling Eyes

Titus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Kuros:

Quote:
People don't vote from their economic interests.

Ever? I can think of quite a few examples to the contrary.

Quote:
The Plutocracy has two parties which present different value-points, but serve the same economic platform of hyper-capitalism and rent-seeking.

Yes, one distracts with abortion and the other with gay rights, generally. Both just distract.

Quote:
Indeed, you've become distracted from your economic interests with that egalitarian thread, and this mistake cannot be blamed on the Plutocracy.

How so? Be specific.
Kuros

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus wrote:
From Kuros:

Quote:
People don't vote from their economic interests.

Ever? I can think of quite a few examples to the contrary.

Certainly not "ever." Predominantly; On the whole; For the most part; More so than otherwise.

Do an informal poll. Ask people why they voted for Kerry or for Bush or for Obama. Usually you'll get "I voted against Bush/Gore/McCain/Romney." That's a cypher for defending their values against the other.

Millienials don't understand economics yet. How could they? Don't put too much stock in those poll results.

Quote:
Quote:
Indeed, you've become distracted from your economic interests with that egalitarian thread, and this mistake cannot be blamed on the Plutocracy.

How so? Be specific.

The egalitarian thread? Its mostly you responding to (i.e. getting trolled by) the left culture warrior fringe. You know who I'm talking about. They slip "the Patriarchy" into casual conversation.
Titus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The egalitarian thread? Its mostly you responding to (i.e. getting trolled by) the left culture warrior fringe. You know who I'm talking about. They slip "the Patriarchy" into casual conversation.

No, it is me attacking the egalitarian ideal. If you fill a county with 80 iq mestizos you're going to have a poor country. Do you want to live in a poor country? You're going to. It is in your economic interests that you don't.

The culture warrior fringe in completely in control of all culture and policy producing institutions.
Titus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Certainly not "ever." Predominantly; On the whole; For the most part; More so than otherwise.

Only white people vote on values. We form moral communities re: everything. We aren't tribal. The tribal people vote for the tribe, which often is the tribal economic interests.
Kuros

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus wrote:
Quote:

No, it is me attacking the egalitarian ideal. If you fill a county with 80 iq mestizos you're going to have a poor country. Do you want to live in a poor country? You're going to. It is in your economic interests that you don't.

Oh, no, Singapore is going to be poor, as well?
Titus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're need to clarify that. Either you're living in Singapore or you don't understand how the SG migration system works.
Lucas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

What's not to get about being shot up the a-hole and bleeding out?
Steelrails

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucas wrote:
Quote:

What's not to get about being shot up the a-hole and bleeding out?

Im not even sure of your point. What about my point do you take issue with and why such an example as yours?
Steelrails

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus wrote:
Quote:

Only white people vote on values. We form moral communities re: everything. We aren't tribal. The tribal people vote for the tribe, which often is the tribal economic interests.

Scotland? Flanders? Catalonia? Northern League? Sinn Fein? Plaid Cymru? ETA? Corsican League? Balkanization?

The map of Europe looks much more ethnic based than values based. In fact, that Tribal nationalism against the former system of monarchs and kingdoms enabled people in those countries to start to vote their values.
Titus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Titus wrote:
Quote:

Scotland? Flanders? Catalonia? Northern League? Sinn Fein? Plaid Cymru? ETA? Corsican League? Balkanization?

The map of Europe looks much more ethnic based than values based. In fact, that Tribal nationalism against the former system of monarchs and kingdoms enabled people in those countries to start to vote their values.

I'll be more clear. White, primarily protestant, in the former British colonies. Though you'll find a high number of "values voters" in Scandinavia, UK, etc.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus wrote:
Steelrails wrote:
Titus wrote:
Quote:

I'll be more clear. White, primarily protestant, in the former British colonies. Though you'll find a high number of "values voters" in Scandinavia, UK, etc.

Indeed, and Scandinavia was for a while a very homogenous place. As I said, tribal nationalism in the 1600s-1800s enabled European voters to vote their values as they all belonged to the same tribe after limiting or overthrowing their monarchs and establishing nations based on language, religion, and common identity. Of course this is a far cry from immigrant tribalism but rather similar to the tribalism in former colonies where you see people fighting to establish new nations run by dictators (monarchs).
Kuros

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus wrote:
You're need to clarify that. Either you're living in Singapore or you don't understand how the SG migration system works.

I'll be in Singapore soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: