Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I have a LOR...BUT....
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jleblanc

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm putting too much speculation into the matter because this came from a recruiter, directly.

So in your situation currently, what happens with your housing? How soon do you have to be out? I think I remember reading recently a contract stating 24 hours to get out but someone also saying the law requires a certain amount of time and that 24 hours isn't legal. I'm curious where people stay while looking for a new job if they have to get out of their old employer's housing.
Troglodyte

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jleblanc wrote:
Quote:
I'm putting too much speculation into the matter because this came from a recruiter, directly.

So in your situation currently, what happens with your housing? How soon do you have to be out? I think I remember reading recently a contract stating 24 hours to get out but someone also saying the law requires a certain amount of time and that 24 hours isn't legal. I'm curious where people stay while looking for a new job if they have to get out of their old employer's housing.

Legally speaking, it's really hard to evict someone. Practically speaking, you go in the apartment while the tenant is out and toss his stuff on the sidewalk and change the lock. It's illegal but if you're in that situation you'll probably have higher priorities than taking the person to court.

While job hunting, a lot of people stay at youth hostels, yokwons and goshiwons. If they have close friends, they might crash on someone's couch for a while. They might spend a couple of nights at a jimjilbang but that would usually only be while they check out another city. If you do that, you'll need a place to store your stuff (maybe a friend's place). If you can do a visa transfer and you're only looking for an average job (not looking for something with above average pay or teaching some specific type of students) then it should take about 1 week to get an offer and 2 weeks to get a decent offer. So, if you're quickly looking for work, budget for 2 weeks at least (3 to be safe). Most people start job hunting before their job finishes though. That's how you find the really good places.
ontheway

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jleblanc wrote:
Quote:

Your legal right to occupy your employer sponsored housing ends at midnight on your last day of work or last day under the contract (unless your contract gives you more time.)

It is true that you might be able to physically stay until you are legally evicted, but the reason you can be legally evicted is because you no longer have the right to be there.

This means that if your belongings are thrown out in the parking lot or on the sidewalk, you will have little legal standing since you were already a squatter.

In addition, since your free housing ends on your last day under the contract, you would be legally obligated to pay rent for staying past this last day, unless you have been given permission from your employer. Since the amount of this rent is not stated, you could be required to pay monthly rent (in full month increments) at the standard rate for a similar apartment in your area.

When your contract ends, for whatever reason, it is best to avoid trouble and just move out.
ontheway

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trueblue wrote:
Quote:
It
Quote:
shouldn't be too hard to find a place that offers pension and 10 days paid holidays.
The clear and defined schedule is highly unlikely. The best you'll probably get are general start and finish hours. Most place don't have a fixed schedule. They go with the market. If you're holding out for all three... you'd be better off looking elsewhere

Some recruiters, in which I will not name, exclusively chose not to represent schools that offer pension. I would love to show you the email(s) regarding that but we all know what can happen....

Clear and defined schedule....well....perhaps. But I don't think it is too much to ask.

Holding out for all three....your suggestion may be the logical one.

Recruiters get paid by their clients - businesses, schools etc - for each worker they place. Most recruiters will take any client they can get, (although there are a few that claim they won't take less reputable clients.)

These days recruiters have dozens of E2 teacher applicants for each available school position. However, it is much easier to place teachers at the better schools: those that offer Health Ins; Pension; decent, 2 BDR apts; decent vacation; small classes; etc. get snapped up first.

So, the recruiter tells you that no school offers Pension, or any other lie, to get you to take his less desirable positions. He does this because even if he has a large stock of teachers, if none of them will take a bad job another recruiter may make the placement and get the comission.

Recruiters work for comissions and the teacher is not the one paying. The teacher is the product being sold to the school, and the recruiter has more product than customers. But some jobs are so bad the recruiter has to lie to get teachers to take them. Recruiters will also lie to schools about the quality of the teachers they're trying to place. Recruiters will lie to anyone and everyone to make a deal and get paid.

There are good hogwans available that will pay round-trip airfare, National Health and Pension, income tax by the tax table, decent housing; block hours and good vacations. Don't settle for a bad job. Don't rely on Internet reviews - good or bad - talk to a current and past teacher. Don't take a job as an Independent Contractor.
jleblanc

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troglodyte wrote:
jleblanc wrote:
Quote:

Legally speaking, it's really hard to evict someone. Practically speaking, you go in the apartment while the tenant is out and toss his stuff on the sidewalk and change the lock. It's illegal but if you're in that situation you'll probably have higher priorities than taking the person to court.

While job hunting, a lot of people stay at youth hostels, yokwons and goshiwons. If they have close friends, they might crash on someone's couch for a while. They might spend a couple of nights at a jimjilbang but that would usually only be while they check out another city. If you do that, you'll need a place to store your stuff (maybe a friend's place). If you can do a visa transfer and you're only looking for an average job (not looking for something with above average pay or teaching some specific type of students) then it should take about 1 week to get an offer and 2 weeks to get a decent offer. So, if you're quickly looking for work, budget for 2 weeks at least (3 to be safe). Most people start job hunting before their job finishes though. That's how you find the really good places.

Yeah, I've heard about employers just going in the apartment and doing what they want. And wow, thanks for all that info. That's very helpful. Smile Being 40 means I need to budget more time for finding work. I wouldn't mind just getting my own apartment (to avoid any nonsense) but it seems complicated and expensive to do so based on what I've read and heard about renting.
jleblanc

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Your legal right to occupy your employer sponsored housing ends at midnight on your last day of work or last day under the contract (unless your contract gives you more time.)

It is true that you might be able to physically stay until you are legally evicted, but the reason you can be legally evicted is because you no longer have the right to be there.

This means that if your belongings are thrown out in the parking lot or on the sidewalk, you will have little legal standing since you were already a squatter.

In addition, since your free housing ends on your last day under the contract, you would be legally obligated to pay rent for staying past this last day, unless you have been given permission from your employer. Since the amount of this rent is not stated, you could be required to pay monthly rent (in full month increments) at the standard rate for a similar apartment in your area.

When your contract ends, for whatever reason, it is best to avoid trouble and just move out.

Thanks!
trueblue

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm moving out today....

I told the director that it would be no latter then Sunday. I even paid for the maintenance fee for August....and agreed to have an extra 100,000 won deducted for bills.

I'm packed, cleaned up the place and ready to go, as soon as my friend gets in town.

Thanks anyway.
trueblue

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
While job hunting, a lot of people stay at youth hostels, yokwons and goshiwons.

Youth hostels are not that cheap, from my understanding.

Yokwons will eat up the savings.

Goshiwons, in my opinion, are the way to go. I've tried to contact a few in Seoul but they just don't want to respond. Well,...one did but he wanted nearly 500,000 a month..pffft.

Do you have any info on a reasonably priced Goshiwon...anywhere?

Luckily, I do have a friend I can crash with. But, I'm not going to overstay my welcome. Also, this is the firs time I will be pounding the pavement for a job in Korea...

I"m just trying to find the cheapest, most cost effective manner in going about it. Where I am now, is way out on the outskirts of Masan...countryside. So, I have to find a centralized location...not here, other wise, I would be spending tons of cash on trains and buses.

We shall see what happens. Thank you for the tips.
Troglodyte

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trueblue wrote:
Quote:
While job hunting, a lot of people stay at youth hostels, yokwons and goshiwons.

Youth hostels are not that cheap, from my understanding.

Yokwons will eat up the savings.

Goshiwons, in my opinion, are the way to go. I've tried to contact a few in Seoul but they just don't want to respond. Well,...one did but he wanted nearly 500,000 a month..pffft.

Do you have any info on a reasonably priced Goshiwon...anywhere?

Luckily, I do have a friend I can crash with. But, I'm not going to overstay my welcome. Also, this is the firs time I will be pounding the pavement for a job in Korea...

I"m just trying to find the cheapest, most cost effective manner in going about it. Where I am now, is way out on the outskirts of Masan...countryside. So, I have to find a centralized location...not here, other wise, I would be spending tons of cash on trains and buses.

We shall see what happens. Thank you for the tips.

500,000 /month is a lot for a Goshiwon. For that much, it should be a really nice place - upper end of the spectrum. You should be able to find one in Seoul for under 400,000. If you look around a lot, it shouldn't even be difficult to find one for 300,000. Try to find one in the downtown area, not far from a metro station. Basically, you want to be able to get around quickly for interviews. I would recommend asking a Korean friend to look for some places and to call them up for you. They are relatively common around the big universities. Since it's summer and students are a bit more likely to be away, there might be more places available at the moment.
trueblue

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So..with a LOR, how long do you have to find a new job?

Is it 14 days?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trueblue wrote:
So..with a LOR, how long do you have to find a new job?

Is it 14 days?

Do nothing in regards to immigration and you have to leave Korea within 14 days or be in an overstay position and risk a black mark on your file.

Report your change of status to immigration and get 30 days (free) to find new work and transfer or leave.

Switch to a D10 and get 180 days (not free) to find new work and transfer to the new employer.

trueblue

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Do nothing in regards to immigration and you have to leave Korea within 14 days or be in an overstay position and risk a black mark on your file.

Report your change of status to immigration and get 30 days (free) to find new work and transfer or leave.

Switch to a D10 and get 180 days (not free) to find new work and transfer to the new employer.

OK...just making sure. Though, I did go to immigration to see what the stays was regarding my ARC and the lady could not understanod why I did nit have one. I was trying to tell them that was why I wss there, to see f it was ready and infirm them if my status. I was not able to communicate that I was previously on a D-10 but the immigration official in charge of that screwed it uo abd I did not receive one by the set date.

But I had that transferred to another E2 in another province but that went *beep* up. I gave a LOR but no ARC so I won't get my pension when I leave...unless I can show them both the E-2 to D-10 transfer application with my registration number along with my new letter if release..that would be awsome.
Cave Dweller

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a goshiwon poster near Bucheon station area. 170,000 a month or so.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: