Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hypothetical: Canada, marijuana, and Korea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wanderkind

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Hypothetical: Canada, marijuana, and Korea Reply with quote

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/politics/conservative-governments-poll-shows-canadians-want-marijuana-laws-changed

Thought this might be interesting to discuss.
Putting aside the likelihood of whether or not this will happen:

If Canada were to legalize marijuana in the near future, what impact would this have, if any, on Canadians' employment opportunities in Korea?

And now that I think of it,
do you think the recent policy changes regarding marijuana in Washington and Colorado will have / are having any bearing on those seeking jobs in Korea from those states?
On the other hand

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see a bit of a p.r. backlash if the news made it into the Korean press, with some conservative Koreans thinking "OMG! I don't want Canadians teaching over here if they can smoke pot back home!!" And there might be some slight pressure(via tabloid TV and whatnot) for the government to bar Canadian teachers.

Overall, though, I think cooler heads in the government would just continue with the policy of testing all E2 holders, thus largely "weeding out" the ones who are chronic users(and thus couldn't stop smoking even for a month before coming here).

Incidentally, I've always thought that the drug tests for E2 were pretty ridiculous, since they only test you once per contract, immediately after you've arrived. So there's nothing to deter anyone from doing drugs IN KOREA after he tests negative.

A better idea would be to test everyone one month after their arrival, and then use a lottery system to administer unannounced re-tests to another third or so(ie. you could be re-tested at any time throughout your contract, and you never know when). That would deter people from smoking up in country, but allow them to do it when they go home between contracts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: