Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Amazionian tribe makes first contact

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
catman



Joined: 18 Jul 2004

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Amazionian tribe makes first contact Reply with quote

Quote:
It was a simple gesture of humanity — the gift of a bunch of bananas — that ended centuries of isolation.

Footage has emerged of the moment an Amazonian tribe, undisturbed by outsiders for hundreds of years, overcame their natural wariness and accepted the token of friendship.

The members of the Chitonawa tribe, from the headwaters of the Envira river in the Peruvian rainforest, are thought to have fled their homeland after a massacre at the hands of Peruvian drug traffickers. Their homes were apparently torched by criminals who wanted access to their coca plants to make cocaine and mahogany trees for illegal logging.

So it was that three tribesmen, dressed only in loincloths, stumbled across another group of outsiders as they fled into Brazil. The video showed their understandable trepidation as they first approached the villagers of Simpatia, about 100 kilometres from the border.

A local man who spoke their language, Jaminawa, coaxed the men closer until they eventually accepted his gift. The recipients then raised their hands in an apparent gesture of appreciation.

After this initial contact, the Chitonawa retreated into the jungle, but, emboldened by their earlier visit, the group of five men and two women, aged between 12 and 22, would visit the village on two subsequent occasions.

Researchers from Brazil’s National Indian Foundation were fascinated by the rare contact, which took place at the end of June. But their fascination soon turned to concern when the Chitonawa people shared details of their plight through an interpreter.

“The majority of old people [in the tribe] were massacred by white Peruvians, who shot at them with firearms and set fire to their houses,” said Ze Correia, the interpreter. “They say that many old people died and that they buried three people in one grave.

“They say that so many people died that they couldn’t bury them all and their corpses were eaten by vultures.”

The video, which was posted online Thursday, showed two tribesmen trudging through the river. Beside the opposite bank, a villager matched their progress, holding up more than two dozen bananas by way of welcome.

The Chitonawa men were reluctant to approach, and another of their number stood on the far bank, holding what appeared to be a gun, which researchers believe he may have captured from a logging camp. They also “whistled and made animal sounds,” according to Carlos Travassos, one of the researchers.

After more than a minute, the men in the water, who carried swords tucked in their loincloths, approached and received their gift.

The film also shows a subsequent visit, when the Chitonawa return to the village with an axe, apparently to defend themselves. Despite their friendly reception, even these encounters proved to present a risk: it transpired that all seven tribesmen had contracted influenza when they appeared for a third time. The Brazilian government sent a team of doctors, who kept the tribesmen in quarantine near the village until they recovered.

There are thought to be around 77 so-called “uncontacted” tribes of indigenous Indians in the Amazon. Another such tribe was photographed brandishing spears at a plane in March.

Fiona Watson, the research director at Survival International, a British charity that works closely with the Brazilian authorities to safeguard tribesmen, said she was lobbying the Peruvian government to investigate the claims of a massacre. “The story they had to tell was disturbing,” she said. “I feel they have been forced into this contact.”


Source


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHGRrWyX_NA

Lets not screw this one up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
catman



Joined: 18 Jul 2004

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately they contracted the flu.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chaparrastique



Joined: 01 Jan 2014

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a beautiful pure life those people lead. Ignorance is bliss, you might say.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wanderkind



Joined: 01 Jan 2012
Location: Japan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Amazionian tribe makes first contact Reply with quote

Quote:
It was a simple gesture of humanity — the gift of a bunch of bananas — that ended centuries of isolation.

Footage has emerged of the moment an Amazonian tribe, undisturbed by outsiders for hundreds of years, overcame their natural wariness and accepted the token of friendship.

The members of the Chitonawa tribe, from the headwaters of the Envira river in the Peruvian rainforest, are thought to have fled their homeland after a massacre at the hands of Peruvian drug traffickers. Their homes were apparently torched by criminals who wanted access to their coca plants to make cocaine and mahogany trees for illegal logging.

So it was that three tribesmen, dressed only in loincloths, stumbled across another group of outsiders as they fled into Brazil. The video showed their understandable trepidation as they first approached the villagers of Simpatia, about 100 kilometres from the border.

A local man who spoke their language, Jaminawa, coaxed the men closer until they eventually accepted his gift. The recipients then raised their hands in an apparent gesture of appreciation.

After this initial contact, the Chitonawa retreated into the jungle, but, emboldened by their earlier visit, the group of five men and two women, aged between 12 and 22, would visit the village on two subsequent occasions.

Researchers from Brazil’s National Indian Foundation were fascinated by the rare contact, which took place at the end of June. But their fascination soon turned to concern when the Chitonawa people shared details of their plight through an interpreter.

“The majority of old people [in the tribe] were massacred by white Peruvians, who shot at them with firearms and set fire to their houses,” said Ze Correia, the interpreter. “They say that many old people died and that they buried three people in one grave.

“They say that so many people died that they couldn’t bury them all and their corpses were eaten by vultures.”

The video, which was posted online Thursday, showed two tribesmen trudging through the river. Beside the opposite bank, a villager matched their progress, holding up more than two dozen bananas by way of welcome.

The Chitonawa men were reluctant to approach, and another of their number stood on the far bank, holding what appeared to be a gun, which researchers believe he may have captured from a logging camp. They also “whistled and made animal sounds,” according to Carlos Travassos, one of the researchers.

After more than a minute, the men in the water, who carried swords tucked in their loincloths, approached and received their gift.

The film also shows a subsequent visit, when the Chitonawa return to the village with an axe, apparently to defend themselves. Despite their friendly reception, even these encounters proved to present a risk: it transpired that all seven tribesmen had contracted influenza when they appeared for a third time. The Brazilian government sent a team of doctors, who kept the tribesmen in quarantine near the village until they recovered.

There are thought to be around 77 so-called “uncontacted” tribes of indigenous Indians in the Amazon. Another such tribe was photographed brandishing spears at a plane in March.

Fiona Watson, the research director at Survival International, a British charity that works closely with the Brazilian authorities to safeguard tribesmen, said she was lobbying the Peruvian government to investigate the claims of a massacre. “The story they had to tell was disturbing,” she said. “I feel they have been forced into this contact.”


LOL, wut? That's terrible writing. "Bananas end centuries of isolation" and then 2 sentences later it talks about how they were massacred and chased from their homes previously by drug traffickers. I don't think it was the bananas that did the trick, and they certainly weren't the 'initial contact'.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chaparrastique



Joined: 01 Jan 2014

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
“The majority of old people [in the tribe] were massacred by white Peruvians, who shot at them with firearms and set fire to their houses,


The "savages" have been contacted by "civilisation". Sigh... Crying or Very sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KimchiNinja



Joined: 01 May 2012
Location: Gangnam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Amazionian tribe makes first contact Reply with quote

catman wrote:
Lets not screw this one up.


Let's not be naive. It will go the same way as all the other 'industrial revolution society meets paleolithic society' meetings.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Steelrails



Joined: 12 Mar 2009
Location: Earth, Solar System

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I saw this story. Apparently the "lost tribe" wandered over to get some AKs so they could take on the drug traffickers.

I have a feeling half of these "lost tribes" have a bunch of Brazil soccer jerseys, portable radios, and a jeep that they keep around and whenever the National Geographic crowd is in the area they strip down and put on a show so they can get some loot.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KimchiNinja



Joined: 01 May 2012
Location: Gangnam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:

I have a feeling half of these "lost tribes" have a bunch of Brazil soccer jerseys, portable radios, and a jeep that they keep around and whenever the National Geographic crowd is in the area they strip down and put on a show so they can get some loot.


LOL, so cynical!!

Yeah, probably right.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chaparrastique



Joined: 01 Jan 2014

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
Steelrails wrote:

I have a feeling half of these "lost tribes" have a bunch of Brazil soccer jerseys, portable radios, and a jeep that they keep around and whenever the National Geographic crowd is in the area they strip down and put on a show so they can get some loot.


LOL, so cynical!!

Yeah, probably right.


The only people trying to deny the existence of uncontacted tribes are the oil , mining and logging companies.

They're the ones clearing rainforest and trashing the planet for quick profits.


Apparently there are some 100 tribes that refuse contact with the outside world. Indigenous people have a right to live and have their land protected...
http://www.survivalinternational.org/tribes/isolatedperu


Last edited by Chaparrastique on Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KimchiNinja



Joined: 01 May 2012
Location: Gangnam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaparrastique wrote:
Indigenous people have a right to live traditionally and have their land protected.


Maybe we should call the American Indians and let them know about that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Squire



Joined: 26 Sep 2010
Location: Jeollanam-do

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get them in a studio and put them on reality TV, it'll get huge ratings!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2013 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International