Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Taking Ages
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erica27

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Taking Ages Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie here but have been following these forums for ages now.

I am a recent college grad with a BA degree in Asian History and currently finishing up my 100hour TEFL course. I lived in Seoul over the course of a year as a Korean language and history student at Yonsei. My Korean language skills are at an intermediate level.

I've done volunteer teaching (Catholic after school program, 1st and 2nd grades) and tutoring for years (both children and adults in English language and literature since high school), and have grown up with children in my life since day one. I've helped raise my two younger sisters who are elementary school age, and spent a lot of time working at their school during events, etc.

In my paid work experience, I have worked for a pediatrician as a secretary, and done various part time jobs ranging from retail to lifeguarding. I know thats not terribly relevant to the teaching field, but still shows that I've been working since I turned 16. Also, I am genuinely interested in the education field and pursuing a Masters in education after a few years of working and living independently.

I've been applying to recruiters and schools individually, and have had just about 4 interviews over the last two months. I keep getting leads but none of the schools have offered me a job yet. I had one offer, but the location was not good. I am looking for an elementary position in central Seoul, but there just hasn't been any luck yet.

Anyone think I'm just totally unemployable? I've got my documents ready to go... I don't think I'm being too picky- I know how hagwons work and I know how quickly they can screw you over. I can't say the interviews I've done go terribly, in fact I think they've gone really well.

How long did it take for ya'll to find good positions? Do any of you have experience finding jobs WHILE in Korea as first-timers? One of my options at the moment is to go back to Korea on my own time and money since I have somewhere to stay temporarily and it seems like it might be be easier and faster that way.. Question Question
andrewchon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are searching for a job in a very small area. I can understand that you want best bang for your buck, but so do the Koreans. What you've told me about your credentials, experience, qualifications etc doesn't exactly say 'can't miss prospect'. i.e. you're not a first round draft choice, and you want Central Seoul. With luck you'll get that. So, best of luck.

Yes, things are pretty tight in Korea. When that happens, people go for safe option: young, female, good looking, half-a-dozen post-grad degrees, AMERICAN, ....

I'd say offer to teach in major cities.

Cool
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Taking Ages Reply with quote

erica27 wrote:
I am a recent college grad with a BA degree in Asian History

and currently finishing up my 100hour TEFL course.

I lived in Seoul over the course of a year

as a Korean language and history student at Yonsei.

My Korean language skills are at an intermediate level.

I've done volunteer teaching

In my paid work experience, I have worked for a pediatrician as a secretary,

You sound like a recruiters dream.

Young American female with previous exp in korea? There is no reason they should not be tripping over themselves to hire you.

The photo is all-important to them however so be sure to put some blonde highlights in and the offers will come flooding in.

If anything you sound too sensible and decent a person for a wacky ESL system and country like Korea.
erica27

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Taking Ages Reply with quote

Haha, I guess my current dark blonde color isn't quite enough for them. Guess I've got to use some older pictures for my resume from when I was super blonde while I lived in Korea until I dye my hair again.

Unfortunately for me, I love Korea way too much, and getting a full-time job where I live is a lot harder done than said at the moment. ESL in Korea is the doorway to bigger and better things for me (let's hope). Laughing
PRagic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you have a positive attitude and are coming into the process with your eyes wide open. Teaching ESL here could very well be your stairway to bigger and better things, but plan well.

How marketable is a degree in Asian History these days? Do you plan on getting the degrees and certs later on down the road to teach in your home country? Or do you plan on doing an additional degree and certs related to TESOL so that you can teach ESL as a career?

I'm not saying that coming over for a year or two after graduating to plunk away some coin, pay off some debt and see the world a bit is a bad thing in and of itself; rather, it's always better to have at least a rudimentary plan going in so you don't end up spinning your wheels and regretting it later.

Best of luck to you.
DaeguNL

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to land a Seoul job from abroad, and near impossible to get a central Seoul position. Companies in central Seoul know they can get someone easily without having to pay for a flight over ($1000-$1200), or a recruiter ($1000). They also get to interview the person face to face, and not through skype.

I'd recommend being less picky about location. A lot of places in Gyeonggi-do are like 20-30 mins to the main areas of Seoul. For example, Bundang is less than 20 mins from Gangnam, and it's a really nice area.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say you love Korea 'way too much' which suggests you'd probably still be happy even in some back,end of beyond location as long as you could practice your Korean, have cultural experiences with the locals and avoid big groups of foreigners here for the wrong reasons. In that case it'd be altruistic to leave those central Seoul positions vacant for the average job seeker here, whose main concern is paying off their student loan, doesn't really give a crap about Korea, and would really struggle outside The capital.
wonkavite62

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote

Hi, Erica27. I know someone said that you weren't exactly the best candidate, but I think you are okay. I am impressed that you did volunteer teaching. Do you have written references from any of these volunteer positions? Koreans are likely to be impressed by this kind of thing. When you complete your teaching certificate, it would help to get a letter saying exactly how many hours are in the course. This is needed by immigration.
I agree that it might be a good idea to consider other parts of Korea, such as Gyeonggi Do, Incheon, Busan and lovely Daegu. You could choose to work with various hagwons. I noticed that the main complaint on this website I found about Avalon was that it was boring afer 18 months of teaching there, because you had to follow their syllabus. But from my point of view it would certainly be okay for one year.
EPIK and GEPIK public school positions are worthwhile. GEPIK deals with Gyeonggi-Do, and it may be worth a try, because they are within commuting distance of Seoul, and if you get to work with them you can save money. I feel they discriminate less. If you have ALL your paperwork, apply now for positions starting in March.
Ironically, I would have thought you were the PERFECT candidate: young, American, female, and culturally sensitive. And with teaching experience. I get SO frustrated that most jobs in and near Seoul are for ***North Americans Only***. I am from Scotland.They want your accent, because you are like the tape recorder the Korean English teacher uses. (There is actually a machine in Kyobo Book Store, which spouts out "perfect" American phrases).
On the other hand I have LOTS of experience, 2 years in China, a last year in Korea, and more. I have references to prove it. But I had no more luck than you. Very few replies. One English village wanted to hire me, but because I did not ask for the contract immediately I didn't get it.
The job I did was in a "lovely coastal city." A small city. I taught in a high school. The job was okay, but there was no social life. Except for a small clique. So I ended up taking 4 hour bus journeys to Seoul. Small cities can be a hit or a miss. Big cities, like Daegu should be great. The first time I went to Korea, to another small city, social life was great.
radish kimchi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie here but have been following these forums for ages now.

Then you aren't a newbie if you have been following things.

Quote:
I am a recent college grad

So, that is where you are a "newbie", fresh out of the college oven? Hot piping youngster ready to be exploited.

Quote:
I've done volunteer teaching (Catholic after school program, 1st and 2nd grades) and tutoring for years (both children and adults in English language and literature since high school), and have grown up with children in my life since day one. I've helped raise my two younger sisters who are elementary school age, and spent a lot of time working at their school during events, etc.

That's awesome, in Korea you might earn some kimchi points. Right now however, you get a cookie in your home country. You are not in Korea yet, so forget what you did.

Quote:
Also, I am genuinely interested in the education field and pursuing a Masters in education after a few years of working and living independently.

Korean employers might not be "genuinely" interested in your history. They are more "genuinely" interested in how much money you can bring to them. Sell yourself as a slave, and that is how you will be "genuinely" treated as.

Quote:
Also, I am genuinely interested in the education field and pursuing a Masters in education after a few years of working and living independently.

Reality check. It doesn't matter how qualified you are.

Quote:
4 interviews over the last two months

You should be able to get 10 or more per week. Something you are doing/not doing is not good or working in Korea is not the right place.

Going to Korea first will not solve your problem. You need to find out why you can only get 1 interview every 2 weeks. If you had 100 interviews in your home country, then I would say to go to Korea and try in person.

However, you are failing as a "qualified" candidate with only 4 interviews. Address this issue first. Find out why you aren't being interviewed more often.

Quote:
How long did it take for ya'll to find good positions?

You might want to refrain from the "ya'll" lingo.

Until Jethro opens up a hagwon in up there tarnation hills and sprouts them black gold, you mights be best missy with the other kind of salutes like "everyone". Ya'll come back now, ya hear?

That makes me wonder if this is a "genuine" poster in "grief" over only 4 interviews.
Overture1928

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Taking Ages Reply with quote

erica27 wrote:

I am a recent college grad with a BA degree in Asian History and currently finishing up my 100hour TEFL course. I lived in Seoul over the course of a year as a Korean language and history student at Yonsei. My Korean language skills are at an intermediate level.

In my paid work experience, I have worked for a pediatrician as a secretary, and done various part time jobs ranging from retail to lifeguarding. I know thats not terribly relevant to the teaching field, but still shows that I've been working since I turned 16. Also, I am genuinely interested in the education field and pursuing a Masters in education after a few years of working and living independently.

I've been applying to recruiters and schools individually, and have had just about 4 interviews over the last two months. I keep getting leads but none of the schools have offered me a job yet. I had one offer, but the location was not good. I am looking for an elementary position in central Seoul, but there just hasn't been any luck yet.

Anyone think I'm just totally unemployable? I've got my documents ready to go... I don't think I'm being too picky- I know how hagwons work and I know how quickly they can screw you over. I can't say the interviews I've done go terribly, in fact I think they've gone really well.

How long did it take for ya'll to find good positions? Do any of you have experience finding jobs WHILE in Korea as first-timers? One of my options at the moment is to go back to Korea on my own time and money since I have somewhere to stay temporarily and it seems like it might be be easier and faster that way.. Question Question

Came to Korea with a D10, had a job in like 2 weeks. No need to do a Japan run. See if you graduated from one of the top 200 universities on this list http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2013-14/world-ranking If so then you can get a D10 and then come over and look for a job.
wonkavite62

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote

Well I graduated from one of the top 200 universities mentioned, Very Happy and I got a public school job in a rural province of Korea. But I spent 2 months unsuccessfully looking for another job and decided to come home, so as not to waste money.

North America needs to get its act together and give proper jobs to graduates and not just internships. We also need a proper boom. It would behove us all, if all those people who complain about Korea on Dave's ESL would also post their comments of Facebook and other social sites back home. It would do us all a lot of good if potential jobseekers in places like California or Ontario were aware of the downside of teaching in Korea, and the current tight job market.

Some of the oldest teachers in Seoul told me that the job situation in Korea is so dire partly because people were posting all sorts of positive (AND ONLY PARLY TRUE) stuff on Facebook about working conditions, salary, and the ability to save. And desperate jobseekers believed it until they started working in ROK. Korea is more popular now because it's seen as a "good" location. Let's redress that balance.
erica27

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PRagic wrote:
How marketable is a degree in Asian History these days? Do you plan on getting the degrees and certs later on down the road to teach in your home country? Or do you plan on doing an additional degree and certs related to TESOL so that you can teach ESL as a career?

I am planning on returning to get my Masters in Education, as well as a possible degree in Art History, as that was my original major when I first entered university, and am half-way to another BA. Right now TEFL is my only certification, and my plan my change to pursue an ESL certification if working in Korea for a few years alters my plan... Razz
erica27

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaeguNL wrote:
It's hard to land a Seoul job from abroad, and near impossible to get a central Seoul position.

So I've noticed.. Confused Thats why I'm considering heading to Korea first.

DaeguNL wrote:
I'd recommend being less picky about location. A lot of places in Gyeonggi-do are like 20-30 mins to the main areas of Seoul. For example, Bundang is less than 20 mins from Gangnam, and it's a really nice area.

I've actually been offered some interviews in the Pangyo area and am currently scheduling them. Pangyo/Bundang in general sounds pretty sweet, and since Pangyo is right on the Sinbundang Line then it'd be alright for getting in and out of the capital without too much work.
erica27

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
You say you love Korea 'way too much' which suggests you'd probably still be happy even in some back,end of beyond location as long as you could practice your Korean, have cultural experiences with the locals and avoid big groups of foreigners here for the wrong reasons. In that case it'd be altruistic to leave those central Seoul positions vacant for the average job seeker here, whose main concern is paying off their student loan, doesn't really give a crap about Korea, and would really struggle outside The capital.

I do love Korea, but I also love Seoul. I've traveled parts of the countryside and while it's beautiful, I've decided that at least for my first year back, I'd like to be in the city. My Korean is pretty good but let's be real- anything too far from Seoul dialect is beyond my comprehension. I want to at least get back into the flow of using Korean with Koreans before attempting to *baisically* learn an entire new language.. I mean come on, satoori is rough.

I don't really see why I would have to compromise just so someone who doesn't give a crap about Korea can have a position I could be in. Sorry, but if they don't give a crap about the place then they shouldn't be there to begin with- these forums are loaded with those kinds of people, and frankly, I just don't understand them, or their logic...
Rolling Eyes
erica27

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi Reply with quote

wonkavite62 wrote:
Do you have written references from any of these volunteer positions? Koreans are likely to be impressed by this kind of thing. When you complete your teaching certificate, it would help to get a letter saying exactly how many hours are in the course. This is needed by immigration.

I can get them as needed, thankfully. I'll get my certificate both online and in the mail. A friend of mine works at a hagwon in Gangnam and never had to provide a copy of hers, so thats kind of up in the air for now.

wonkavite62 wrote:
EPIK and GEPIK public school positions are worthwhile. GEPIK deals with Gyeonggi-Do, and it may be worth a try, because they are within commuting distance of Seoul, and if you get to work with them you can save money. I feel they discriminate less. If you have ALL your paperwork, apply now for positions starting in March.

I was planning on applying for EPIK, with SMOE option, actually, and got passed through to the interview, but after realizing my diploma and CRC would not be back in time, I withdrew before I could interview. I was told that I would have no real say in where I would be placed to teach, rather that I would show up in Seoul for the introduction seminar type sessions and then be shipped off to an unknown location within the city (or province). I'm considering applying for next fall, though. Thanks for the heads up.

wonkavite62 wrote:
Ironically, I would have thought you were the PERFECT candidate: young, American, female, and culturally sensitive.

I'm sorry about your experience. I know I have good qualifications, but I also know that there are others out there with more experience and that are already in Korea, making them much better options, unfortunately. Its rough that you can be really qualified and yet turned down just because of where you are from. Sad

wonkavite62 wrote:
The first time I went to Korea, to another small city, social life was great.

This is true, but like I wrote earlier, in order for me to be really comfortable and personally feel more prepared to move outside of Seoul, I'd like to get back into the city and back into the groove of living in Korea again. ^^
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: