Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Background check from abroad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrwright

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:09 am    Post subject: Background check from abroad Reply with quote

Hi. I am currently in Thailand on holiday, and am interested in coming to Korea to teach. Do all jobs need a background check from the home country, in this case USA? If so, can I do that from here, or do I need to return home first? Thanks.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Background check from abroad Reply with quote

mrwright wrote:
Hi. I am currently in Thailand on holiday, and am interested in coming to Korea to teach. Do all jobs need a background check from the home country, in this case USA? If so, can I do that from here, or do I need to return home first? Thanks.

Yes. The background check is an immigration requirement and they are anal about it.

Yes, you can do it from abroad but it is a long, time consuming and expensive process. (MONTHS and MONTHS).

No, you cannot use one of those on-line services to expedite the process. It will be rejected by immigration.

Yes, it needs an apostille.

You also need to get an apostille on a certified true copy of your degree.

SeoulNate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do it from there.

It doesn't take any longer than it normally would as long as you have someone you can send the background check to in the US (friend or family)

I used http://www.apostille.us/ a few years ago.

Got my prints done here, sent it to the FBI, got it sent back to a friend, had friend send it to the above website and had them forward it to me. Was all done in 2 months-ish, which is pretty standard for US FBI processing.
SteveSteve

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeoulNate wrote:
You can do it from there.

It doesn't take any longer than it normally would as long as you have someone you can send the background check to in the US (friend or family)

I used http://www.apostille.us/ a few years ago.

Got my prints done here, sent it to the FBI, got it sent back to a friend, had friend send it to the above website and had them forward it to me. Was all done in 2 months-ish, which is pretty standard for US FBI processing.

I agree that you'll need a friend or family to receive and send your FBI check to the US State Department in Dulles, VA, but I don't think the third party apostille companies are worth the extra money. Took me 5 business days to have mine apostilled and returned. Cost me 8 bucks plus postage as opposed to $195 you might spend with a company like apostille pros.
Conwaypk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How the h**l is one supposed to get another copy of their actual degree? I can't just fly home to get mine. And I also wouldn't just give the school my real only one. Evil or Very Mad

What does apostilled even mean? I hope my parents can get it done for me while I'm idle in Cebu.

I hope I haven't been wasting my time with learning Korean if I can't get a job there because of this "apostille" stuff.

Thank you mrwright for asking the question.
SteveSteve

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conwaypk wrote:
How the h**l is one supposed to get another copy of their actual degree? I can't just fly home to get mine. And I also wouldn't just give the school my real only one. Evil or Very Mad

What does apostilled even mean? I hope my parents can get it done for me while I'm idle in Cebu.

I hope I haven't been wasting my time with learning Korean if I can't get a job there because of this "apostille" stuff.

An apostille is a government certification that authenticates signatures from notaries and public officials. Korean Immigration will not accept an origianal diploma anyways, so you have to get a copy apostilled.And yes, your parents can absolutely take care of this stuff while you're away in Cebu. No need to be at home to do it yourself.

1. Have your parents find your college degree and make a photocopy of it.
2. Write out a statement such as "I, _____, attest that the document is a true certified copy of XYZ's Bachelor of Arts from XYZ University, conferred in 200X." Your parents need to sign and date this statement in front of a notary public.
3. The notary public will then sign a statement such as "The following instrument was signed before me on _______, 2014 in ________ County." The notary then signs, dates, and stamps this statement.
4. Take your diploma copy and notarized document and mail it to your statewide Secretary of State Office. So if you live in California, you send it to the California Secretary of State Office. Each state is a little different, so you'll have to find their website and see what the fee is, whether or not you have to complete a request form, and whether or not you have to include a prepaid self addressed envelope.
5. Mail all that stuff in, and you'll get an apostilled copy of your college diploma. Should cost less than $20 for notary, postage, and apostille.

But if you're applying to jobs in Korea, you still need to get that FBI background check. Apply for it ASAP because it takes about 6-8 weeks to process and another 1 or 2 weeks to get the apostille from the US Department of State in Dulles, VA. If you're in Cebu, then you'll have to find a police station who can take your fingerprints. I recommend submitting two sets just in case one of them is smudged or unacceptable. Again, just do a quick google search for this, and it'll tell you exactly what to do.
Hokie21

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also...say your diploma is framed or something....you can order another one from your university. Order one, tell them to make copies and notarize them. My uni made copies and notarized them for free.

If the relatively simple process of getting your paperwork together is too much of a hassle then maybe rethink the whole teaching in Korea thing....you'll be facing much worse once you actually start teaching,
Hokie21

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveSteve wrote:
Conwaypk wrote:

An apostille is a government certification that authenticates signatures from notaries and public officials. Korean Immigration will not accept an origianal diploma anyways, so you have to get a copy apostilled.And yes, your parents can absolutely take care of this stuff while you're away in Cebu. No need to be at home to do it yourself.

2. Write out a statement such as "I, _____, attest that the document is a true certified copy of XYZ's Bachelor of Arts from XYZ University, conferred in 200X." Your parents need to sign and date this statement in front of a notary public.
3. The notary public will then sign a statement such as "The following instrument was signed before me on _______, 2014 in ________ County." The notary then signs, dates, and stamps this statement.
4. Take your diploma copy and notarized document and mail it to your statewide Secretary of State Office. So if you live in California, you send it to the California Secretary of State Office. Each state is a little different, so you'll have to find their website and see what the fee is, whether or not you have to complete a request form, and whether or not you have to include a prepaid self addressed envelope.
5. Mail all that stuff in, and you'll get an apostilled copy of your college diploma. Should cost less than $20 for notary, postage, and apostille.

But if you're applying to jobs in Korea, you still need to get that FBI background check. Apply for it ASAP because it takes about 6-8 weeks to process and another 1 or 2 weeks to get the apostille from the US Department of State in Dulles, VA. If you're in Cebu, then you'll have to find a police station who can take your fingerprints. I recommend submitting two sets just in case one of them is smudged or unacceptable. Again, just do a quick google search for this, and it'll tell you exactly what to do.

It should be pointed out though that you if you live in one state and got your degree in another state you may need to get it apostilled in that state. I went to school in Virginia but was living in Pennsylvania. The Sec of State in PA wouldn't touch my Uni documents, had to send them to Virginia.
Conwaypk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveSteve wrote:
Conwaypk wrote:

Wow. This far surpasses what I was expecting as a response. Thank you so very much. I'm really much more confident now. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Cool
I'm sure I could get it done then. I know this info. will help more than just me, too. I would have googled it, but, I'm in China...

Getting my finger prints done in Cebu will be fun, I'm sure haha. Not exactly the most competent or punctual officers in the world. But I know I can get it done.
SteveSteve

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hokie21 wrote:
SteveSteve wrote:
Conwaypk wrote:

It should be pointed out though that you if you live in one state and got your degree in another state you may need to get it apostilled in that state. I went to school in Virginia but was living in Pennsylvania. The Sec of State in PA wouldn't touch my Uni documents, had to send them to Virginia.

I never had that problem actually. Degree was from a university in Louisiana, but I had it notarized and apostilled in Maine. As it was explained to me, only the notary public and Secretary State Office has to be the same in the same state. It's irrelevant where the school is or what the document is for that matter... All that a State Secretary does is authenticate that the notary public is real and exists.
Hokie21

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveSteve wrote:
Hokie21 wrote:
SteveSteve wrote:
Conwaypk wrote:

I never had that problem actually. Degree was from a university in Louisiana, but I had it notarized and apostilled in Maine. As it was explained to me, only the notary public and Secretary State Office has to be the same in the same state. It's irrelevant where the school is or what the document is for that matter... All that a State Secretary does is authenticate that the notary public is real and exists.

It may be a state by state thing then. This has happened to me twice with Pennsylvania....so maybe it's a PA thing. Who knows.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: