Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Richard Attenborough is dead

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
On the other hand

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Richard Attenborough is dead Reply with quote

Quote:
Lord Richard Attenborough, the actor and film director, has died just days before his 91st birthday.

After forging a career as an actor in films including Brighton Rock and The Great Escape, he became an acclaimed film director, with Gandhi in 1983 claiming eight Academy awards - a record for a British film - including best director.

Younger generations probably know him best as the well-meaning mad scientist in Jurassic Park. However, for me his most memorable role was as the soft-spoken sex-killer landlord in 10 Rillington Place. (Mr. Christie posed as an abortionist to rape and murder women.)

As for his directorial efforts, I guess there's not much to say about Gandhi besides that it was obviously great. Shadowlands was a nice little piece of Christian apologetcs, though. Cry Freedom brought to the fore a relatively neglected hero of the anti-apartheid movement.

That said, I'm not sure I ever really noticed a distinctive style throughout the movies he directed. But I don't think I saw the majority.

The Guardian
falco

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never heard about this till now. That is indeed sad. I remember him most for his wildlife docos. RIP Richard Attenborough.
PeteJB

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I remember him most for his wildlife docos. RIP Richard Attenborough.

That's David Attenborough, not Richard. They are brothers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: