Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Austrian chef attacked in Itaewon? rumor/rumour?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PigeonFart

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Austrian chef attacked in Itaewon? rumor/rumour? Reply with quote

I don't know if this could be discussed here due to legal issues...but i heard a rumor/rumour that an Austrian chef of an Austrian restaurant near Itaewon station was attacked by 3 korean men recently? I won't mention any names but i'm sure anyone who is familiar with Itaewon knows the restaurant i'm referring to. Anyone heard anything about that?

Moderator, if this can't be discussed please feel free to close the thread. Thanks.
Smithington

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Why the high drama? It's not as if you're discussing state secrets.
PigeonFart

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair point. I just wanted to be sensitive in case anyone here knows the guy personally.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chef Meili? What kind of savages would attack him? The guy has one of the sweetest soul's out there. Was uber-kind to me both times I met him and got to listen to him talk about Strauss for 5 min. His Christmas dinners are a highlight of the season.

I hope this isnt true. Is he okay? Is he facing any kind of hospital bills?
PigeonFart

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Steelrails"]Chef Meili? What kind of savages would attack him? The guy has one of the sweetest soul's out there. Was uber-kind to me both times I met him and got to listen to him talk about Strauss for 5 min. His Christmas dinners are a highlight of the season.

I hope this isnt true. Is he okay? Is he facing any kind of hospital bills?[/quote]

I didn't want to name names but let's just say that your guess of the identity of the person being referred to is NOT in-correct.

I heard about this from a Korean so i just wanted to hear more about it from someone else who knows more details.
radcon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard it was because he refused to pay protection money for his restaurant.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

radcon wrote:
I heard it was because he refused to pay protection money for his restaurant.

You know, that wouldn't surprise me. I could see some Korean mafioso types with all the gentrification going on trying to squeeze him out.

Is there any thread on any other site with more info on this? Any way we can do something? If this is true and the word can spread, hopefully we can whip up enough interest to at least get a story out there in the media or something. The Austrian Deli is a treasure.

Links please. At the very least, lets keep this thread going. If you have any experiences or stories to share, post them here and post any info. That man would do nothing to warrant him getting assaulted by 3 animals.
Stan Rogers

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe 3 bad apples got sick from something they ate there.

Maybe it was just a random attack. I've heard plenty of stories about foreigners getting jumped by a group of Korean men simply because the foreigner was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Sometimes bad things happen to good people.
Sesame

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koreans are racist.
guavashake

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sesame wrote:
Koreans are racist.

No, the problem is they have wiener schnitzel envy...
You can't blame them for wanting to get their hands on his wiener schnitzel.
Cave Dweller

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen some posters lately calling for a crackdown on 'neighbourhood gangsters'. When I read that, I imagined the whole 'pay us for protection' crap and in Itaewon, it would not surprise me one bit.

Any solid info?
FriendlyDaegu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cave Dweller wrote:
I have seen some posters lately calling for a crackdown on 'neighbourhood gangsters'. When I read that, I imagined the whole 'pay us for protection' crap and in Itaewon, it would not surprise me one bit.

Any solid info?

I've never heard of 'pay for protection' here. What I have heard of is paying thugs to pressure a business into acting a certain way, like shutting down or leaving. I've even seen signs taped to poles offering the service. I think that's more likely the case if a business owner was threatened or attacked.
ChrisPK

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FriendlyDaegu wrote:
Cave Dweller wrote:

Any solid info?

I've never heard of 'pay for protection' here. What I have heard of is paying thugs to pressure a business into acting a certain way, like shutting down or leaving. I've even seen signs taped to poles offering the service. I think that's more likely the case if a business owner was threatened or attacked.

Most big nightclubs in Seoul pay the Korean Yakuza for protection, but I am not aware that restaurants do too. He might have got their attention because he's a foreigner, or might have rubbed one of them in the wrong way.
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He had posted a sign on his door saying that this would be his last week. I had meant to go and stock up on a few things this week, but I was too busy. I hope that everything works out for him. His deli meats and friendly banter will be missed.
Cave Dweller

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess this sort of shit would drive anyone away.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: