Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Things Koreans still seem unable to realize
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmxc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:10 am    Post subject: Things Koreans still seem unable to realize Reply with quote

Profound perspective from a Korean writer:

Quote:
Traditionally, the Korean people are not particularly interested in learning about the world or becoming globalized. Surrounded by numerous small mountains and isolated from the rest of the world, Koreans are comfortable on this small peninsula and thus tend to be unaware about the world.

This tendency dates back to the Joseon Dynasty when Koreans thought the world was made of only three kingdoms: China, Japan and Korea. Therefore, when Crown Prince Sohyeon brought a world atlas from China in the 17th century, King Injo and his cabinet members were greatly alarmed and immediately destroyed the map. They could not accept the possibility that other countries existed. Prince Sohyeon, who might have modernized Korea if he had inherited the throne, was killed by the king’s decree. In the eyes of the king, the crown prince’s knowledge of the world was too dangerous.

Quote:
On the other side of the fence, there are those who exhibit delusions of grandeur. These conceited people mistakenly believe that South Korea has become a superpower that can comfortably compete with China, Japan and the United States. They also believe hallyu has dominated the whole world and all the people on earth watch Korean TV dramas, movies and K-pop performances. They also naively believe that since the Korean Peninsula is so strategically important, our neighbors will constantly flatter us and our allies will never give up on us.

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20141014001197
Stain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Things Koreans still seem unable to realize Reply with quote

cmxc wrote:
Profound perspective from a Korean writer:

Quote:
Traditionally, the Korean people are not particularly interested in learning about the world or becoming globalized. Surrounded by numerous small mountains and isolated from the rest of the world, Koreans are comfortable on this small peninsula and thus tend to be unaware about the world.

This tendency dates back to the Joseon Dynasty when Koreans thought the world was made of only three kingdoms: China, Japan and Korea. Therefore, when Crown Prince Sohyeon brought a world atlas from China in the 17th century, King Injo and his cabinet members were greatly alarmed and immediately destroyed the map. They could not accept the possibility that other countries existed. Prince Sohyeon, who might have modernized Korea if he had inherited the throne, was killed by the king’s decree. In the eyes of the king, the crown prince’s knowledge of the world was too dangerous.

Quote:
On the other side of the fence, there are those who exhibit delusions of grandeur. These conceited people mistakenly believe that South Korea has become a superpower that can comfortably compete with China, Japan and the United States. They also believe hallyu has dominated the whole world and all the people on earth watch Korean TV dramas, movies and K-pop performances. They also naively believe that since the Korean Peninsula is so strategically important, our neighbors will constantly flatter us and our allies will never give up on us.

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20141014001197

If they are comfortable, then I don't see a problem with it. There is conceit and ignorance in every country. Everybody wants to feel good, don't they?
Steelrails

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratch the beer n stripper idea for cmxc. I think the guy needs a week in Amsterdam.
optik404

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PROFOUND

PROFOUND

PROFOUND
atwood

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the historical insight can add to one's understanding of Korea.

The second paragraph quoted sure sounded a lot like NK, though, didn't it?

As for feeling comfortable, that's positive to a degree, but it also can make it hard to instigate change that would foster progress.
happiness

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus considering that most Koreans kind of vie for some kind of power or social position, whether earned or forced (like the age thing), I always look at the ears-covered "we are the best" thing as kind of a cheap band-aid for a mind that cannot comprehend broader (or just normal) world views, thus frog in the well.

I think thats really why the gov't has been trying to incorporate English and English teachers. I never believed any local person who talked about "Global Korea." I even thought the Dynamic Korea was funny, it was praising themselves for changing like all the world did a that time.

Well, it is because of these mindsets we will have jobs in the future. They arent changing that much, esp with the education gap growing bigger and bigger.
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
we live in one of the most dangerous places in the world

I don't think so. Been to somalia lately?

Quote:
our neighbors will constantly flatter us and our allies will never give up on us.

Korea is the spoiled teenager of the world.

Was given everything easy and thus appreciates none of it.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaparrastique wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
our neighbors will constantly flatter us and our allies will never give up on us.

Says an NET whose qualifications are an accident of birth, a degree, amd a pulse. The avetage Korean has 'earned' more than you have. Unless Im forgetting that time you engaged in demovracy marches or went from living in a house with no running water into being an engineer.
Lucas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Says an NET whose qualifications are an accident of birth, a degree, amd a pulse. The avetage Korean has 'earned' more than you have. Unless Im forgetting that time you engaged in demovracy marches or went from living in a house with no running water into being an engineer.

And now they get to collect cardboard with me, bent over like your ...(insert mom joke).
yodanole

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the Korean people are failing to realize full value from a certain "native speaker" foreign English teacher.
atwood

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Chaparrastique wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

From a Hindu perspective, there are no accidents of birth. That's earned karma.
tiger fancini

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaparrastique wrote:

Members of the current young generation who happen to live in Gangnam and similar places do not the whole country make.
Cave Dweller

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My qualifications include opposable thumbs.

Man, I hate to agree with SteelRails. Korea worked very hard to succeed but also took many shortcuts.

Steelrails wrote:
Chaparrastique wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Chaparrastique wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

The Japanese gave them their infrastructure and general civilisation.

They introduced them to things like the wheel, for example.

Then the US gave them the money to develop. As well as winning their war for them and giving 64 years of free military security.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaparrastique wrote:
Steelrails wrote:
Chaparrastique wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

The Japanese gave them their infrastructure and general civilisation.

They introduced them to things like the wheel, for example.

Then the US gave them the money to develop. As well as winning their war for them and giving 64 years of free military security.

Korea has had the wheel long before 1910. Do you actually believe that?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: