Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

School me on reincarnation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rteacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real science that's grounded in materialism is not likely to accept anything that exists that is not materially constituted. Underlying philosophy is important if not essential for realizing a more complete scientific understanding of reality in all its dimensions, and new paradigms and methods may be required to ascertain higher knowledge.

Other comments on that article refer to noted physicists and other scientists who evidently have a broader view of science and take the study of past-life remembrances seriously...

The skeptics here don’t seem to understand what true skepticism is. Ian Stevenson, and I presume Jim Tucker, gathered a lot of data in as careful a manner as they could. I have not seen or heard of serious criticism of their methods. The best explanation for that data happens to be reincarnation, but Stevenson has always been open to other explanations, including delusion and fraud. The tone of the skepticism I have seen in these comments seems to suggest that the skeptics already know the answer to something without data or hypothesis to test—the opposite of the scientific method. Just because it is a hard question, and the methods may not be definitive, does not mean it should not be approached. I guess the skeptics here know more than Carl Sagan, who said, “[t]here are three claims in the [parapsychology] field which, in my opinion, deserve serious study,” the third of which was “that young children sometimes report details of a previous life, which upon checking turn out to be accurate and which they could not have known about in any other way than reincarnation.” Carl Sagan-1996

http://uvamagazine.org/articles/the_science_of_reincarnation
Stain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rteacher wrote:
Real science that's grounded in materialism is not likely to accept anything that exists that is not materially constituted. Underlying philosophy is important if not essential for realizing a more complete scientific understanding of reality in all its dimensions, and new paradigms and methods may be required to ascertain higher knowledge.

Other comments on that article refer to noted physicists and other scientists who evidently have a broader view of science and take the study of past-life remembrances seriously...

The skeptics here don’t seem to understand what true skepticism is. Ian Stevenson, and I presume Jim Tucker, gathered a lot of data in as careful a manner as they could. I have not seen or heard of serious criticism of their methods. The best explanation for that data happens to be reincarnation, but Stevenson has always been open to other explanations, including delusion and fraud. The tone of the skepticism I have seen in these comments seems to suggest that the skeptics already know the answer to something without data or hypothesis to test—the opposite of the scientific method. Just because it is a hard question, and the methods may not be definitive, does not mean it should not be approached. I guess the skeptics here know more than Carl Sagan, who said, “[t]here are three claims in the [parapsychology] field which, in my opinion, deserve serious study,” the third of which was “that young children sometimes report details of a previous life, which upon checking turn out to be accurate and which they could not have known about in any other way than reincarnation.” Carl Sagan-1996

Reincarnation and any religion that suggests that we continue on past this life are sadists. Who really wants to continue forever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever? See! It's already annoying.
Plain Meaning

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stain wrote:
Who really wants to continue forever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever? See! It's already annoying.

Don't forget about the forgetting of much of what has come before.
Otus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernst Mach is another good example of a 'real' Scientist. He used the 'falsifiability principle' to show that the Newtonian concept of space was metaphysical nonsense.
Smithington

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rteacher wrote:

The skeptics here don��t seem to understand what true skepticism is. Ian Stevenson, and I presume Jim Tucker, gathered a lot of data in as careful a manner as they could. I have not seen or heard of serious criticism of their methods. The best explanation for that data happens to be reincarnation, but Stevenson has always been open to other explanations, including delusion and fraud. The tone of the skepticism I have seen in these comments seems to suggest that the skeptics already know the answer to something without data or hypothesis to test—the opposite of the scientific method. Just because it is a hard question, and the methods may not be definitive, does not mean it should not be approached. I guess the skeptics here know more than Carl Sagan, who said, ��[t]here are three claims in the [parapsychology] field which, in my opinion, deserve serious study,�� the third of which was ��that young children sometimes report details of a previous life, which upon checking turn out to be accurate and which they could not have known about in any other way than reincarnation.�� Carl Sagan-1996

You are being disingenious here. Carl Sagan didn't believe in reincarnation. Just because he thought it was worth studying, doesn't mean he bought into it or thought it likely to e true. He stated very clearly that he did not believe it to be true. He also supported research into the efficacy of prayer, which turned out to be zero. Undoubtedly he also believed the same result would come from any research into reincarnation. Not surprisingly, your Carl Sagan quote is incomplete. The missing sentence at the end of it should read as follows: "I pick these claims not because I think they are likely to be true (I don't) but as examples of contentions that might be true." Anyone who has read his book The Demon-Haunted World (from which that quotes is mined) can seriously believe that Sagan believed in reincarnation.

I recommend that everyone read his book, as well as Michael Shermer's Why People Believe Weird Things.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything has to turn into an argument.
Rteacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newton was a real scientist. The fact that some of his predictions (e.g., the orbit of Mercury) could be proven false by observations led to refinement and eventual replacement of his theory by Relativity.

Although Albert Einstein was somewhat influenced by Ernst Mach's criticism of Newton's position on space and time, he eventually realized that (atheist) Ernst was mainly opposed to Newton's (theistic) philosophy, and Einstein concluded that his physical criticism was not sound.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernst_Mach
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Falsifiability

Although materialists use falsifiability to discredit any form of Creationism, I think that Scientific Materialism has proven incapable of describing all aspects of life and should be replaced by a more inclusive underlying philosophy.
http://www.sciencemeetsreligion.org/philosophy/scientific-materialism.php

I also think that predictions can be made about reincarnation cases (or even UFO aliens). Obviously, a high percentage of them can be explained by fraud or other known factors, but if a statistically significant percentage of cases can not be explained by known natural causes, then reincarnation may eventually be accepted as a paradigm-changing theory/axiomatic law of nature.
Rteacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithington wrote:
Rteacher wrote:

The skeptics here don��t seem to understand what true skepticism is. Ian Stevenson, and I presume Jim Tucker, gathered a lot of data in as careful a manner as they could. I have not seen or heard of serious criticism of their methods. The best explanation for that data happens to be reincarnation, but Stevenson has always been open to other explanations, including delusion and fraud. The tone of the skepticism I have seen in these comments seems to suggest that the skeptics already know the answer to something without data or hypothesis to test—the opposite of the scientific method. Just because it is a hard question, and the methods may not be definitive, does not mean it should not be approached. I guess the skeptics here know more than Carl Sagan, who said, ��[t]here are three claims in the [parapsychology] field which, in my opinion, deserve serious study,�� the third of which was ��that young children sometimes report details of a previous life, which upon checking turn out to be accurate and which they could not have known about in any other way than reincarnation.�� Carl Sagan-1996

You are being disingenious here. Carl Sagan didn't believe in reincarnation. Just because he thought it was worth studying, doesn't mean he bought into it or thought it likely to e true. He stated very clearly that he did not believe it to be true. He also supported research into the efficacy of prayer, which turned out to be zero. Undoubtedly he also believed the same result would come from any research into reincarnation. Not surprisingly, your Carl Sagan quote is incomplete. The missing sentence at the end of it should read as follows: "I pick these claims not because I think they are likely to be true (I don't) but as examples of contentions that might be true." Anyone who has read his book The Demon-Haunted World (from which that quotes is mined) can seriously believe that Sagan believed in reincarnation.

I recommend that everyone read his book, as well as Michael Shermer's Why People Believe Weird Things.

Why not extend the quote a little further?:
"... I think they’re likely to be valid (I don’t), but as examples of contentions that might be true. The last three have at least some, although still dubious, experimental support. Of course, I could be wrong.

The debate could go on forever. Hard-core materialists who wholly identify themselves as a unit of matter that eventually evolved to become conscious of itself logically conclude that they will cease to exist after the demise of the present gross body (unless there is some material arrangement to extend their current lifespan...) While proud of their skepticism and scientific progress, they demand a very high standard of proof for anything that challenges their materialistic world view.

Those who identify themselves as non-material souls embodied in temporary material bodies tend to rely more on internal realizations, philosophy and consciousness-elevating devotional processes. They generally aim at both material and spiritual progress within and beyond this life.

At some point, science and spirituality may ultimately merge as a spiritual science for more complete understanding of the totality of existence. In the meantime, they should probably peacefully coexist without unnecessarily attacking each other's respective path to understanding ultimate truth.
Otus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whereas Newton thought his notions of space and time had some theological basis, Leibniz explicitly opposed it stating at beginning of the Leibniz-Clarke correspondence that it led to atheism.

Mach perhaps came at it from a different direction, calling the Newtonian concepts metaphysical nonsense for reasons that ironically Leibniz would most likely be in agreement with.
Rteacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He might be relatively right but absolutely wrong (due to imperfect senses.)

Mach's positivism led him to reject as physical theory anything (e.g., atomic theory) that was not based entirely on directly observable phenomena.

Because human senses are limited - even when amplified by the most sophisticated instruments available - we can never directly perceive the smallest sub-atomic particles (what to speak of the minute spirit-soul, which is described in Vedic writings as having the dimension of one-ten-thousandth the tip of a hair/theoretical point...)

In ancient Vedic analytical philosophy, there was an atomic theory of sorts based on inference...

Paramanu -- the smallest particle of earth, water, fire, and air. In vaisesika the smallest indivisible part of matter is called paramanu, or atom. This is not to be confused with the modern scientific term atom because an atom as described in nuclear physics is itself composed of many parts. The vaisesika usage of the word is different. It simply refers to the most minute indivisible state of matter. The atoms of earth, water, fire, and air are eternal because an atom is partless and cannot be produced or destroyed. The common elements of earth, water, fire, and air, however, are noneternal because they are produced by combinations of atoms and therefore can disintegrate or change. The existence of atoms is proved by inference -- not by perception -- in the following way. All the composite objects of the world are made up of parts. In separating the parts of a composite object, one passes from the larger to the smaller, and then from the smaller to the smallest part. But when one comes to the smallest part that cannot be further divided in any way, then the process of separation has to stop. That indivisible and minutest part in vaisesika is called the atom.

If one does not accept the concept of indivisibility, then he will commit the fallacy of infinite regression. Because it has no parts, the atom cannot be said to be produced, and it cannot be destroyed because destruction means to break a thing down into its parts, and in an atom there are no parts. Atoms, therefore, can be neither produced nor destroyed; they are eternal...
http://www.suhotraswami.net/library/The_six_systems_of_Vedic_philosophy.pdf
Otus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a monad except a monad cannot be a particle. A particle or any physical entity presupposes divisibility.
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rteacher wrote:

Paramanu -- the smallest particle of earth, water, fire, and air. In vaisesika the smallest indivisible part of matter is called paramanu, or atom. This is not to be confused with the modern scientific term atom because an atom as described in nuclear physics is itself composed of many parts. The vaisesika usage of the word is different. It simply refers to the most minute indivisible state of matter. The atoms of earth, water, fire, and air are eternal because an atom is partless and cannot be produced or destroyed. The common elements of earth, water, fire, and air, however, are noneternal because they are produced by combinations of atoms and therefore can disintegrate or change. The existence of atoms is proved by inference -- not by perception -- in the following way. All the composite objects of the world are made up of parts. In separating the parts of a composite object, one passes from the larger to the smaller, and then from the smaller to the smallest part. But when one comes to the smallest part that cannot be further divided in any way, then the process of separation has to stop. That indivisible and minutest part in vaisesika is called the atom.

If one does not accept the concept of indivisibility, then he will commit the fallacy of infinite regression. Because it has no parts, the atom cannot be said to be produced, and it cannot be destroyed because destruction means to break a thing down into its parts, and in an atom there are no parts. Atoms, therefore, can be neither produced nor destroyed; they are eternal...
http://www.suhotraswami.net/library/The_six_systems_of_Vedic_philosophy.pdf

Not too sure one can use the term 'fallacy' in this text and not cough on the glaring flaw in the very next statement.
Because it has no parts....how so? By inference??? Or just because?
How about this...using the same illogical inference.
Atoms, therefore, can be neither produced nor destroyed; they don't exist.
It's quite likely that most people don't mind entertaining the idea of 'other life', but one should be careful not to include this kind of thinking with critical or logical thought.
Nothing wrong with fantasy...but it is fantasy...yes?
We could get along much better if people would stop lying to each other about things we don't know.
Cheers RT
Rteacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it seems to be completely logical. Perhaps the different usage of the term "atom" is what's throwing you off...

Vedic knowledge purports to be handed down from God - if He's lying, there's not much hope...

Last edited by Rteacher on Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Smithington

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RTeacher, all I'm hearing is moral musings, poetry, religion, and a whole lot of "what if's". The world is full of possibilities. But this isn't the dark ages, we demand proof for spectacular claims. And I'm not seeing any proof of anything. Add to that the fact that no supernatural event has ever been proven. Given that fact, the only reasonable default position is a hard agnosticism.
Rteacher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Higher (than material) truth is available to sincere seekers - whether they be scientists, philosophers, artists, poets, or carpenters. In the final analysis, empirical evidence is clearly over-rated in the search for Absolute Truth.

There's a nice section on reincarnation in this online book...
http://www.bbt.se/Manuals/EN%20ID%20text%20to%20p30%20CR%20blank.pdf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: