Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

customs declarations
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bbud656

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:58 am    Post subject: customs declarations Reply with quote

What is the best way to go about declaring customs on used merchandise? If shipping is included its pretty hard to get a package sent to me that is worth less than 150$. My parents are throwing in an old Kindle that they dont use after upgrading. You can find used Kindles on ebay for 30 bucks. I imagine if customs xrays my package and sees some sort of electronics they aren't going to believe it is only worth 30$. Any idea on how this works? Ideally I would like to pay as little customs fees as possible.
FDNY

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, duty is only charged on incoming items worth over US$200.00 Secondly, why would you be declaring anything? If customs stops your package, they will notify you if they want you to pay duty. I rarely buy anything of quality in Korea. I get it on the internet. I've had brand new jackets, suits, boxes of cigars, new Ray-bans all shipped here with absolutely no duty. Don't worry about it.

Also, more to the point, if a package is coming from a western country to a western name, then customs would automatically think you are an English teacher and relatively poor. So it wouldn't raise an eyebrow. However, they might have one of their drug sniffing beagle clones give it a whiff. Razz
bbud656

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my parents are sending me a package and have to fill out a customs slip with the values of everything down to the ranch dressing. Are you saying you only pay duty on individual items worth over 200$? As a total package I am going to be well over the 200$ mark.
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbud656 wrote:
my parents are sending me a package and have to fill out a customs slip with the values of everything down to the ranch dressing. Are you saying you only pay duty on individual items worth over 200$? As a total package I am going to be well over the 200$ mark.

Perhaps FDNY is making a joke.

The customs limit is not $200....nor is it $150 dollars.

It is 150,000 won.

This may seem like semantics, but even one won over...and you pay customs. $150 - after exchange rate is often over the 150,000 won limit.

I've had this come up several times... and every time it did, I had to pay customs.
And you are right...they include the price of shipping in that limit.

Best of luck with the shipping.
giraffe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup the limit is 150k won for customs including shipping... Per package ( not per item in the package)

Separating the package will not exempt you from paying the custom fees. If you send multiple packages too close together ( date wise) they will add them up and send you a bill. Best to spread out the packages to one every 2 weeks or something if you want to go that route...

Also , my 2 cents, The custom fee is really hit and miss.. At least , it has been for me. I do ALOt of online shopping from american/ uk websites and I've gone above the 150kwon limit many times. I have to say that I havent had to pay the custom fee 100% of the time. its been more like 50/50... in my experience it's been random... That being said, there is a good chance you will have to pay a customs fee if you go above 150k.. you should always assume that you will! IF you dont thats just BONUS...
FDNY

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cosmic Hum wrote:
bbud656 wrote:

Perhaps FDNY is making a joke.

The customs limit is not $200....nor is it $150 dollars.

It is 150,000 won.

This may seem like semantics, but even one won over...and you pay customs. $150 - after exchange rate is often over the 150,000 won limit.

I've had this come up several times... and every time it did, I had to pay customs.
And you are right...they include the price of shipping in that limit.

Best of luck with the shipping.

Hmmm, maybe it has changed. I remember it used to be US$200 to get internet commerce kickstarted. Once I had to go the airport to pay duty. I was a real drag. Is it still like that? I have a package coming now that is well over the limit. If it gets stopped, how do I pay the duty? Bank transfer?
bbud656

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how would they handle something that isnt new being shipped here, like a used Kindle. If a used one goes for 30 bucks on ebay and I list it as 30$ are they going to charge me as if its a new one?
Jaffazoid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know in the UK that if you get anything shipped to you and it is declared as a gift you don't have to pay any custom charges. Is it not the same in Korea and everywhere else? I've ordered things from American sites when I was back in the UK and they declared the items as a gift = no charge.
ejyanaika

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive recently had packages worth over $400, and $700, and customs never charged me. Curious as to how the system plays out with who gets tagged and for what.
newb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ejyanaika wrote:
ive recently had packages worth over $400, and $700, and customs never charged me. Curious as to how the system plays out with who gets tagged and for what.

Name, frequency, and origin.
darkjedidave

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to get packages marked as "gift" and not "merchandise". I've found chances of getting knocked at customs much lower, even with values over $150
young_clinton

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FDNY wrote:
Secondly, why would you be declaring anything? If customs stops your package, they will notify you if they want you to pay duty.

Yeah but won't they fine the crap out of you, if they think you should know you're supposed to declare? Personally I would put everything in a bag and not declare it like I did when I came back to the USA. But there is some risk to it. As for me, I don't care I'm sick and tired of being bilked by governments.
highstreet

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get packages from my parents all the time (mainly clothes or shoes). Just value it as 150 and it won't get charged. I've received, maybe 20 packages?
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm always getting raped on custom charges. It's really out of control and silly put these taxes on stuff, I already pay enough taxes dammit.
ejyanaika

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newb wrote:

Name, frequency, and origin.

newb, however many times you like it, good ol USA

FDNY also asked why to declare anything- if you have anything of value, it's best to declare it,price and insure. As ridiculous as insurance may seem, the postal system regardless of country is not infallible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: