Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Changing to public school after hagwon contract finishes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dylan07

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject: Changing to public school after hagwon contract finishes Reply with quote

Right now I'm at a hagwon and have just over three months of my contract left, so I'll be finishing around August time. I want to switch to a public school and am hoping I will be able to do so while staying in the country but am unsure what documents I will need to do this. Do I need all of the same documents I needed when I came here the first time or will there be some I won't require, or even some extra ones?

I'm also unsure of the best way of applying for a public school job while I'm here. I'm hoping to stay in the same area (Daegu) but have seen that you can't choose the city you will be staying at with EPIK. What advice can anyone give me with this?

Thanks in advance.
Stain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Changing to public school after hagwon contract finishes Reply with quote

Dylan07 wrote:
Right now I'm at a hagwon and have just over three months of my contract left, so I'll be finishing around August time. I want to switch to a public school and am hoping I will be able to do so while staying in the country but am unsure what documents I will need to do this. Do I need all of the same documents I needed when I came here the first time or will there be some I won't require, or even some extra ones?

I'm also unsure of the best way of applying for a public school job while I'm here. I'm hoping to stay in the same area (Daegu) but have seen that you can't choose the city you will be staying at with EPIK. What advice can anyone give me with this?

Thanks in advance.

You'll need a TESOL certificate in addition to the same documents as before. Of course, I've only done GEPIK, so it may not be the same. As far as location goes, if you have a recruiter pulling the strings it might help.
Dylan07

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that a necessity? I will have completed work in two different hagwons, each on 12 month contracts, once this one finishes. I thought one or the other was needed (certificate or experience), unless it's been changed?
Stain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dylan07 wrote:
Is that a necessity? I will have completed work in two different hagwons, each on 12 month contracts, once this one finishes. I thought one or the other was needed (certificate or experience), unless it's been changed?

I don't know about EPIK but it's a necessity for GEPIK or at least it was until they axed the urban positions.
oatmeal

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stain wrote:
Dylan07 wrote:

I don't know about EPIK but it's a necessity for GEPIK or at least it was until they axed the urban positions.

I believe they said certificate only required for new teachers after a certain year (i think it was 2011 or 2012 starting). Those who got hired by GEPIK prior to this update (without a TESOL certificate), do not require one so long as you are continuing employment. If you quit, leave, and re-apply in the future, you'd need one then.
Porksta

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMOE requires a brand new CBC, not sure if G/EPIK does as well.
isitts

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing to public school after hagwon contract finishes Reply with quote

Dylan07 wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Should be able to transfer your documents.
Dylan07

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies so far.

I'm still unsure on the other documents though, including the university diploma (assuming I need that for the time being), CRB check (assuming I don't need that...?) etc.

Any other advice or comments would be great.
euluhawk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure you'll need a CRC. They like it to be less than six months old. A recruiter told me that if you apply through EPIK you have to have an updated CRC (regardless of not being in the states), but contact a recruiter and ask, it never hurts to throw some questions at a recruiter before applying.
As for the diploma, if you have a copy at home or whatever have your parents or friends get it notarized and apostilled.
nej101

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

I'm at a hagwon now and looking at applying for EPIK, just wondering if you went ahead with your application, and what documents you had to get.

Thanks!
Snowkr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought EPIK and GEPIK were 'finished'? Someone told me just a few weeks ago that there was no budget to bring foreigners into public schools now. Maybe that is just for high schools though. This was a Korean English teacher at a high school in Ujeongbu that I spoke with…

If she's right, but only speaking about high schools, I wonder how long it will be before the programs completely dissolve altogether…?
young_clinton

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smart move, but may I suggest that you do not use EPIK or GEPIK but go to a school in Chungchoengnam-do (Chungnam). You will have to use a private recruiter for that, which is better anyway.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are still PS positions at the elementary level.

If you are moving from a hagwon to a PS position then you need a FULL set of documents (degree copy and recent CBC with apostille) again.

It is an employer requirement and not an immigration one.
If you don't have them then they won't hire you.

You get to stay working at hagwons where you won't need a new set to change jobs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: