Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2015: year of the mass exodus to China
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
basic69isokay

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:50 am    Post subject: 2015: year of the mass exodus to China Reply with quote

I'm seeing more and more frustration on the part of teachers here. With Daegu the latest city to scrap the native teacher program, and any hagwons closing or demanding 22 year old females, 2015 is the year of China. Salaries have finally evened out. 12,000rmb is easily doable, and equals about ~2.1. Plus, sooooo much more interesting place than Korea. It's just a matter of when, not if. Like Japan in the 1990s-early 2000s. Nihau China!
EZE

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: 2015: year of the mass exodus to China Reply with quote

basic69isokay wrote:
I'm seeing more and more frustration on the part of teachers here. With Daegu the latest city to scrap the native teacher program, and any hagwons closing or demanding 22 year old females, 2015 is the year of China. Salaries have finally evened out. 12,000rmb is easily doable, and equals about ~2.1. Plus, sooooo much more interesting place than Korea. It's just a matter of when, not if. Like Japan in the 1990s-early 2000s. Nihau China!

12,000 RMB (and I've made that in China) doesn't equal 2.1 in Korea (and I've made that too) because of the free apartment and airfare Korea offers.

But I agree that China and Korea becoming more comparable will make China more appealing to some, especially guys in their 20s with a lot of energy and a sense of adventure. If the salaries get up to 20k+ RMB, I might go back to China unless I feel too old for the game by then.
PigeonFart

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The air pollution is so bad in China (much worse than Korea) that i couldn't move there even for double or triple the salary. I'm sure many people don't care about the air they breathe so maybe you're right. In fact i hope you're right. Things were better here when there were less of us around (we were a rarity and could easily find jobs), so i hope everyone does go to China^^
CentralCali

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all of China is polluted like Beijing. I taught in one of the cities in Guangdong last year and the air there is nothing at all like it is here in Beijing. Also, there is free housing, and even sometimes free meals, provided. Not only that, but the cost of living is still lower than in Korea. And renewal of a contract here does not require jumping through all the hoops that Korea has set up.
creeper1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sucks to be the OP

Most posters e.g. "cdinkorea" have a job in Korea more like this

"3.3 million, 12 teaching hours per week, 5 months vacation a year, a lot of autonomy over what I teach, great students, and a low-stress work environment. Cool"

Why on earth would posters want to leave Korea?
aq8knyus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the amount of native teachers coming to Korea drops significantly, isn't that really good for those who don't need visa sponsorship?

It seems that this is more wishful thinking by those who are here and dream about the good ol' days of easy jobs and high paying privates.
jleblanc

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralCali wrote:
Not all of China is polluted like Beijing. I taught in one of the cities in Guangdong last year and the air there is nothing at all like it is here in Beijing. Also, there is free housing, and even sometimes free meals, provided. Not only that, but the cost of living is still lower than in Korea. And renewal of a contract here does not require jumping through all the hoops that Korea has set up.

No, but air pollution travels far. Also, it doesn't just stay in the air. It pollutes the water and the food you eat, all things that could be shipped/piped in to a less polluted city. Certainly it's better to be farther away from the coast but people shouldn't kid themselves about the severity of the pollution situation. Masks aren't going to fix it, nor is moving inland.
Hatcher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many factors. In Korea an F visa is a big issue. In China, your degree is vital... I do say that China and Korea are much closer than most would think in terms of legal savings potential.
Underwaterbob

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They just dumped EPIK in Chungcheongbuk-do as well.
ippy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your degree is certainly not vital in China.

Guanxi is vital. If your boss has the networks, youll have your Residency permit and foreign expert certificate in no time. I worked with (and knew) several teachers without a degree. They were of course careful to avoid bringing it up, but its not as hard as you might think.

Actually always something good to know, but chinese police certainly arent above corruption. How do i know? One of our clients was a known gangster. He wanted his kid to do better for himself though, so we took him on (we offered service usually to the tianjin upper uppers), his kid got in a spat with his teacher over th course of a couple of weeks and his dad came in with the heavies in an act of total intimidation. There were 16 of them banging on our (now locked) doors.

What did the big scary chinese police do? Nothing. They stood there. Let them have free run of the halls outside our office. After a few hours and with the Canadian embassy now involved (and the firther threat of three other national embassies being involved) the police finally got them shifted and pulled three of them to the station for questioning.

We arrived at the station, the police made no effort to keep us separate. The goons (for the police only picked up three of the lackies despite knowing full well who was behind it). Those goons proceeded to physically threaten me audibly and in full view of the Chinese desk officers who did nothing at all.

Around an hour later, the goons decided theyd had enough and despite a 'no, stop!' from the police, they walked out laughing their ass off got in their car and drove off.

The police kept us to 10 at night going over our statements making us write them out several times. They were stonewalling.

Our boss kept asking when they were bringing in the actual culprit behind this (the kids dad). We were told they had to wait for their duty sergeant to make this call, who just so happened to be out (but was, it turns out, just upstairs). Around 11pm they said theyd phoned the man in question, but he said he wasnt coming in. So er, that was apparently that.

At this point my boss probably snapped. She had been very insistent that this could be handled locally and professionally.

Unfortunately for the police, her uncle was an extremely high ranking officer in Tianjin (extremely). So she made the call and around an hour later the sergeant was paraded in front of us. Our boss then reamed him out. Suddenly the three goons were picked up and their boss had a very unfortunate late night knock on the door. Though we obviously dont know the ins and outs of the matter, he was clearly told in no uncertain terms to back off and let it go.

No more disruptions. And no one hurt. A quick lesson that the Chinese Police force are as lazy and useless as every other police force in the world.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mass exodus for the big bucks to be made in China. Rolling Eyes Thank God the US economy is finally showing some serious improvement while the economy in China and the rest of Asia is starting to crack.
Lucas

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A mass exodus for the big bucks to be made in China. Rolling Eyes Thank God the US economy is finally showing some serious improvement while the economy in China and the rest of Asia is starting to crack.

Money flows like sardines.
Old Painless

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralCali wrote:

How did teaching learners in China differ from Korea? Would love to hear your experiences...materials...what kinds of methods...and etc. comparing your teaching experiences in Korea? If you would take a few minutes to give us an overall picture?
basic69isokay

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even that dude at 3.3, still not amazing in Korea.
Korea, Seoul especially, is outrageously expensive.
Just basic stuff like housing, food, clothes is like 3-4x the US.
Probably near 10-15x China's prices. I mean 15,000-20,000 rmb, certainly a common salary, is truly lookin better than 3.0 in Korea.
Even on the low entry level standard, 10,000rmb is gonna be
Much better than 2.0 in korea. Korea's toast. Chinas esl boom starts now.
Cave Dweller

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Housing is 3-4 times it is in America? So you can get a one room in the states for 200 bucks a month?

basic69isokay wrote:
Even that dude at 3.3, still not amazing in Korea.
Korea, Seoul especially, is outrageously expensive.
Just basic stuff like housing, food, clothes is like 3-4x the US.
Probably near 10-15x China's prices. I mean 15,000-20,000 rmb, certainly a common salary, is truly lookin better than 3.0 in Korea.
Even on the low entry level standard, 10,000rmb is gonna be
Much better than 2.0 in korea. Korea's toast. Chinas esl boom starts now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: