Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pensions System: 24 years here I get 1,292,000 won.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tomtomclub

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Pensions System: 24 years here I get 1,292,000 won. Reply with quote

I am tired and upset although I figured I'd be burned but this?

Basically I took in my almost a hundred pages of contracts and my old passports in. Since 1989 I was more or less told take your 1,292,000 or get out.

These are major universities some big chains, They advised me to go talk to them, yeah all over the country. It was take the money or shut up, a lot of looking at watches.

I gather nobody ever put any money into the system or else we are just getting ripped off totally.

I admit to having a bit to drink tonight and who wouldn't?

I am an old guy, I came here during the student riots against the military dictatorship you know people weren't doing pleasant gap year vacations at that time.

It was create a new a new nation, a genuine democracy. It was cold and dark and dangerous. Far more than any of you could even imagine. It was very dangerous.

If anybody knows how to deal with his strange injustice as I see it I'd love to hear from you I do nothing wrong in this world email me at [email protected]
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All those years and you didn't keep up with your pension stats? Wow. This isn't just a couple of years - it's a quarter of a century guy.

Hope you invested something, otherwise you'll be retiring in the Philippines. Do you even rate any social security (assuming you're American, if not then good luck).
schwa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NPS can only give back based on what went in & its your own responsibility to keep an eye on your account with them. Hounding hagwons from years ago to pay up now is likely a lost cause, but universities use different pension systems, hence the advice to contact them as theres a chance they hold some money on account for you.

Sorry about your plight & best luck.
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Pensions System: 24 years here I get 1,292,000 won. Reply with quote

Tomtomclub wrote:
I am tired and upset although I figured I'd be burned but this?

Basically I took in my almost a hundred pages of contracts and my old passports in. Since 1989 I was more or less told take your 1,292,000 or get out.

These are major universities some big chains, They advised me to go talk to them, yeah all over the country. It was take the money or shut up, a lot of looking at watches.

I gather nobody ever put any money into the system or else we are just getting ripped off totally.

I admit to having a bit to drink tonight and who wouldn't?

I am an old guy, I came here during the student riots against the military dictatorship you know people weren't doing pleasant gap year vacations at that time.

It was create a new a new nation, a genuine democracy. It was cold and dark and dangerous. Far more than any of you could even imagine. It was very dangerous.

If anybody knows how to deal with his strange injustice as I see it I'd love to hear from you I do nothing wrong in this world email me at [email protected]

I don't understand the full details here.

You're saying that numerous schools pretended to- but never paid- pension on your behalf, for about 25 years?

Doesn't seem possible because you will have been sent your pension slip every year from the NPS. You will have known exactly how many payments had been made.
Tomtomclub

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah I messed up but this prior to gap year and spark notes. I definitely got their junk mail!!! You didn't just look up your status. I am used to the old time stuff I'll just take all the shit in myself.
Spark notes!
basic69isokay

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow man. Wow!
I'm genuinely sorry for you.
This is a cautionary tale of what trusting Korea can do to you. Even Koreans don't trust other Koreans!
Check your pension often! At least once per year. Ideally, every few months. Website is nps.co.kr
Alternatively, just walk in and ask! Walk in the office and say how much do I have. I've even called in before and asked.

Many, if not most, schools here do some kind of pension tricks. One is not paying at all, and damn did you have some bad luck. Because the more common one now is underreporting your wage. They tell NPS your salary is like 1.3 or something so they only have to match that amount. It's nuts. That happened to me with YBM, about the biggest chain around. Don't just trust that its all taken care of. Walk in and ask.

(Also, to the OP, I hope you have a little stashed. Or some property. Sell it and roll to Thailand or Phillipines)
FriendlyDaegu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought at 10 years in the system you were 'vested' and could no longer take the money out as a lump sum.
Tomtomclub

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:50 pm    Post subject: I sure got screwed Reply with quote

There is is really not much more to say.
Tomtomclub

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:50 pm    Post subject: I sure got screwed Reply with quote

There is is really not much more to say.
Stan Rogers

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FriendlyDaegu wrote:
I thought at 10 years in the system you were 'vested' and could no longer take the money out as a lump sum.

Depends on the country you are from. Canadians have a 10 year cut off point on lump sum withdrawls. I think the U.S. doesn't.
basic69isokay

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan Rogers wrote:
FriendlyDaegu wrote:

Depends on the country you are from. Canadians have a 10 year cut off point on lump sum withdrawls. I think the U.S. doesn't.

Also, after 24 years he cant be that far off from retirement age.
I'm guessing he's in his 50s. Whats the qualifying age? 63?
Tomtomclub

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only say that I was a real fool. Yeah I was vested. I like the the idea of of going back and talking to them.
I used to get endless junk mail from the pension people. So I gather that they knew what was going on. It was endless.
That was a lot of years ago and this place wasn't exactly a pleasant place. While the illegal made a fortune I slugged a long.
I always thought do the right thing.
In the end they just laughed me.
Tomtomclub

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And when you are guessing he that is me a human being.
Tomtomclub

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:39 am    Post subject: More for some reason Reply with quote

Cute in those days didn't quite cut it. It was dirty, dark, and dangerous. Try to get a job now if you aren't cute
Stan Rogers

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomtom did you get yearly raises over those years? At my job they won't give me raises because they said they are actually contributing to my pension which they see as an incremental increased cost to them each year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: