Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

For some reason, the Ondol (heating system) makes me sick
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adventurer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:40 am    Post subject: For some reason, the Ondol (heating system) makes me sick Reply with quote

In the U.S., whenever I turned on the heat during winter I didn't get constant sinus infections accompanied by a fever. However, in Korea, it happens to me quite often when I turn on the heat. I am not really sure why. Does anyone have an explanation? Thanks.
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: For some reason, the Ondol (heating system) makes me sic Reply with quote

Adventurer wrote:
In the U.S., whenever I turned on the heat during winter I didn't get constant sinus infections accompanied by a fever. However, in Korea, it happens to me quite often when I turn on the heat. I am not really sure why. Does anyone have an explanation? Thanks.

You could avoid it- and pay less on bills- by buying an electric bar heater.
tealeaf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: For some reason, the Ondol (heating system) makes me sic Reply with quote

Adventurer wrote:

I'm not sure about the cause. I leave a couple of windows open just enough I can feel some air making its way in. This lessens my sinus problems.

PM sent
schwa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting question. I would have assumed forced air systems might be less healthy, blowing dust & stuff into the air. But a bit of digging around suggests that ondol can release volatile organic compounds into the air from synthetic floor covering or carpets.

Damn. I love the feel of ondol. But now I see a possible culprit for the chronic runny nose I get every winter.
Deja

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sinuses never felt better than they did during "Ondol season". But I can't stand humidity one bit.
Smithington

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is Korea. Just think of all the glues and other gunk that are used to attach the flooring to the ground. Now imagine what type of nasty products go into the flooring itself. Heating it up only releases all those nasty ingredients into the air, and into your eyes, nose and lungs.

I'm sure it's the cause of more than a few cancers here.

I never use it.
Adventurer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithington wrote:
This is Korea. Just think of all the glues and other gunk that are used to attach the flooring to the ground. Now imagine what type of nasty products go into the flooring itself. Heating it up only releases all those nasty ingredients into the air, and into your eyes, nose and lungs.

I'm sure it's the cause of more than a few cancers here.

I never use it.

Well, I stopped getting the sinus infections. I am not going to turn on the ondol, period. I just turn on my space heater. I turn on the ondol when I am in the living room not when I'm sleeping. The space heater does the trick. I can't tell you how many times I woke up with a fever and a sinus infection from the ondol in my apartment. I did use ondol before at some other apartments in Korea without having such a serious problem like that.
I guess I'm not the only one who has had breathing issues, then.
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: For some reason, the Ondol (heating system) makes me sic Reply with quote

Chaparrastique wrote:
Adventurer wrote:

Thankyou Chaparrastique for solving my sinus problem with your wise words of advice. You have also reduced my fuel bills.

I acknowledge your munificence. I owe you a huge debt of gratitude.

signed

Adventurer
Adventurer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: For some reason, the Ondol (heating system) makes me sic Reply with quote

Chaparrastique wrote:
Chaparrastique wrote:
Adventurer wrote:

Thankyou Chaparrastique for solving my sinus problem with your wise words of advice. You have also reduced my fuel bills.

I acknowledge your munificence. I owe you a huge debt of gratitude.

signed

Adventurer

I have used my space heater in the past, but some people warned me that my electric bill would go through the roof. I'd rather pay more in electricity than freeze or have my nose irritated every day. Is there a major difference between a big space heater and one of those electric bar heaters?

Thanks for reminding me about the space heater.
motiontodismiss

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: For some reason, the Ondol (heating system) makes me sic Reply with quote

Adventurer wrote:

If it's an apartment built after Fukushima, it could be radiation. Laughing

No, seriously. It could. Shocked
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if a dehumidifier might help with the sinus issue. Korea also has these little vapor machines that you're supposed to breathe in that help with congestion and sinuses. I used to have one back in the day, it helped me a lot. Then I discovered Allegra.
Adventurer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Died By Bear wrote:
I wonder if a dehumidifier might help with the sinus issue. Korea also has these little vapor machines that you're supposed to breathe in that help with congestion and sinuses. I used to have one back in the day, it helped me a lot. Then I discovered Allegra.

I did have a humidifier back in the day. I think you mean a humidifier. Anyway, I am feeling better. By the way, some people use a dehumidifier to have their clothes dry in a jiffy. I was contemplating trying that because it pulls the moisture out of the air.

Back to the heating thing, I bought a small electric bar heater to compare it to my space heater. My space heater's great. I just want to compare the two. I got it for cheap from an expat who's leaving.
Sector7G

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys-dry air is the cause of the sinus and throat problems, not radiation or glues or gunk or volatile organic compounds.

Ondol heating definitely dries out the air which in turn can cause one to wake up with scratchy throat and burning sinuses - at least it did that to me. That's not the only winter heating method that does that, by the way, gas heating dries out the air too.

Yes, a humidifier will definitely help solve the problem, but in a pinch you can do what the old timers did - use the poor man's humidifier. Just soak a bath towel with water and hang it or drape it over a kitchen chair somewhere in the apartment. By morning time that towel will be bone dry. A pan of water on the floor(or on the gas heater) will achieve the same thing. As I never had a clothes dryer while in Korea, I used to do my wash in the evening and let the ondol dry them overnight.

By the way, if the ondol can dry out a towel or clothes like that, just think what it is doing to the body, both inside and out........a humidifier is pretty much a must-have item!
PRagic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sector7G nailed it. It's the dryness. Get a humidifier and you'll be right as rain.
earthquakez

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: For some reason, the Ondol (heating system) makes me sic Reply with quote

Adventurer wrote:

Anybody who uses the ondol heating in a bog standard Korean apartment/one room is putting themselves at risk in one way or another. For a start there is no ventilation literally in many one rooms apart from the windows and the fan in the cupboard of a bathroom/toilet.

Secondly and more unhealthily, the floorboards in the bog standard Korean accommodation types are often coated with formaldehyde. No I am not joking. When you think of how toxic that is when it gives off fumes, no wonder you feel terrible.

And as another poster pointed out, there are other cheap and nasty coatings on floors in most Korean housing. If they don't kill you over time by causing cancers in your lungs and elsewhere. they will make you feel very sick in the meantime.

Never use ondol heating in most Korean rental accommodation. I wouldn't even use it in any Korean accommodation unless I knew the home was custom built using high quality materials but good luck with finding that kind of housing in Korea especially if you are not wealthy and don't specify what building materials you want in your home.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: