Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Swiss cheese - veggie rennet - in Korea ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ethan Allen Hawley

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject: Swiss cheese - veggie rennet - in Korea ? Reply with quote

Hi there,

My lady and I are plant-based diet eaters, meaning we want to get our vitamin B12 naturally, not from meat or sea food, and not from supplements/ pills, and, given that Swiss cheese has the highest amount of B12, we want to find a type already available in country which is made using a vegetarian rennet.

I know Lotte Dept. have started carrying a brand of Swiss cheese, which is great, but, it is also entirely possible to get most cheeses - including Swiss - made without using sheep's stomach rennet, as listed here:
http://cheese.joyousliving.com/CheeseListType.aspx

From that list, these are the Swiss cheese brands using a more natural, plant-based rennet in their regular process:

Brewster Cheese, Cabot, Clover-Stornetta Farms, Dutch Farms,
Glenview Farms, Graham Farms Cheese, Haolam, Joseph Farms,
Kerrygold, Kutters, Land O'Lakes, Landmark, Lifetime Cheese,
Migdal, Miller's Cheese (Miller's Kosher), Organic Valley, Rumiano,
Sargento, Tillamook Dairy Cooperative, Willow Maid

Yes, we've checked Gmarket, and iherb.com also doesn't seem to have anything like it either. Gmarket and apparently Costco both stock Tillamook varieties, but not including Swiss, so if you are a veggie-head or a veggie lover and shop at either of those stores, please consider asking your local branch manager to expand stock to include Swiss cheese too.

Anyone got any leads on any of the above-listed brands, or any others out there in Korealand?

Last edited by Ethan Allen Hawley on Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:57 pm; edited 3 times in total
Lucas

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have loose stooles?

Do you get your iron from licking gates?
Ethan Allen Hawley

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there Lucas,

Thanks for your interest!

My stooles are awesome, thanks! You should see them.. and smell them, too! Like all vegetarians, vegans, and plant-based diet followers, they DON'T STINK!!!

And -- haa haa!, you funny fellow you!! -- no, we don't get our iron from rusty gates, or from dead pieces of Bobby Bobby Calf, Michael Mutton, or Dear Vera Veal Dear; nope, as everyone knows, the body ingests iron from plants much more easily and efficiently than from animal flesh with all its associated heart-clogging saturated fats and cholesterol-type stuff (*YUCK!!!*).

... But anyway, we digress!

About that B12 in the Swiss cheese thing ... -- any leads there, old chap?
atwood

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd see if any of these cheeses--Other Cheeses High in Vitamin B12 (%DV per 1 oz serving): Reduced Fat Mozzarella, Parmesan and Gietost (11%), Tilsit (10%) and Feta (8%) are available in rennetless varieties.

And drink lots of milk--Low Fat Dairy (Skim Milk)
Vitamin B12 in 100g Per Cup (245g) Per Quart (980g)
0.5μg (8% DV) 1.2μg (21% DV) 4.9μg (82% DV)
Other Dairy Foods High in Vitamin B12 (%DV per cup): Nonfat Yogurt (25%), Reduced Fat Milk (22%), Whole Milk (18%), and Full Fat Yogurt (15%).
Light Plain Soymilk contains (50% DV) of Vitamin B12 per cup.

What do you have against supplements? Megafood are all natural, made from food sources and easily available from Iherb.

Good luck with the hunt!
drydell

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP

A quick net search reveals that to get over your max recommended daily B12 amount from B12 in Swiss Cheese would mean you are eating 3x the amount of cheese daily compared to the average American. That's a very bad idea in my opinion.., and you mentioned you are worried about sat fat and cholesterol.. ?? Yet you don't want to spend 5 bucks a year to cover yourself with a cheap effective B12 supplement?..because it's not.. 'Natural'.. Like the cheese you eat goes through no processing?..

Sorry I'm sounding harsh but veggies that refuse B12 supplements because it's not natural belong in the anti-vax camp and cause more harm than good IMO..

Or... Have I just been trolled?
GJoeM

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give the o/p a break. He made a fair request and got dumped on by you lot -- he is vegetarian and compassionate to living beings -- not many of those in Korea.

I salute him.
maitaidads

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ethan Allen Hawley wrote:

And -- haa haa!, you funny fellow you!! -- no, we don't get our iron from rusty gates, or from dead pieces of Bobby Bobby Calf, Michael Mutton, or Dear Vera Veal Dear; nope, as everyone knows, the body ingests iron from plants much more easily and efficiently than from animal flesh with all its associated heart-clogging saturated fats and cholesterol-type stuff (*YUCK!!!*).

I hope you attack that stupid animal-eating creature in your avatar being fed by George Bluth with the same zeal and wit Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: