Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

University jobs race to the bottom
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
happyinhenan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finlandpenguin wrote:
happyinhenan wrote:
finlandpenguin wrote:
Chaparrastique wrote:
finlandpenguin wrote:
The only thing I don't have is teaching experience at a university..

Why not do a year at a Chinese university first?

Because working for two years for $500.00 USD a month is not an option for most grown adults. I've looked into some of the China university posts recently and they want the same thing - two years of prior uni experience. So I guess they have really upped their standards recently.

I don't know anyone who is working in a Chinese university for 500 dollars a month. I challenge you to find me a university job that pays 3000 RMB a month.

Facts are though, most people can't hack China. Then again, Korea can be a hard landing if you end up in the wrong job, it isn't the easy option most wimps think it is. Wink

I already said in my post that I lived in Korea in the past. I'm not a wimp and I've lived in far tougher places than Korea. I'm not interested in working in China period.

That is because China isn't for wimps! Laughing

Funny with your fantastic MA - you are willing to jump through two years of hoops to land a Korean uni job (non-tenure) which doesn't pay all that much more than the Chinese uni jobs you are criticising. How strange... Confused

And stranger still, it is China where the top dollar uni jobs are - such as Nottingham Ningbo, Liverpool-Xi'an and if you are willing to work high school then companies like Dipont will have you on better wages than anything in Korea.

I knew you wouldn't be able to find that 500 dollar a month teaching job in China. Rolling Eyes
finlandpenguin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

happyinhenan wrote:
finlandpenguin wrote:
happyinhenan wrote:
finlandpenguin wrote:
Chaparrastique wrote:
finlandpenguin wrote:

Because working for two years for $500.00 USD a month is not an option for most grown adults. I've looked into some of the China university posts recently and they want the same thing - two years of prior uni experience. So I guess they have really upped their standards recently.

I don't know anyone who is working in a Chinese university for 500 dollars a month. I challenge you to find me a university job that pays 3000 RMB a month.

Facts are though, most people can't hack China. Then again, Korea can be a hard landing if you end up in the wrong job, it isn't the easy option most wimps think it is. Wink

I already said in my post that I lived in Korea in the past. I'm not a wimp and I've lived in far tougher places than Korea. I'm not interested in working in China period.

Funny with your fantastic MA - you are willing to jump through two years of hoops to land a Korean uni job (non-tenure) which doesn't pay all that much more than the Chinese uni jobs you are criticising. How strange... Confused

And stranger still, it is China where the top dollar uni jobs are - such as Nottingham Ningbo, Liverpool-Xi'an and if you are willing to work high school then companies like Dipont will have you on better wages than anything in Korea.

I knew you wouldn't be able to find that 500 dollar a month teaching job in China. Rolling Eyes

Do you work for the Chinese government or something? I'm not interested in China. I never said anything about China in my original post.
Rolling Eyes
happyinhenan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

finlandpenguin wrote:
happyinhenan wrote:
finlandpenguin wrote:
happyinhenan wrote:
finlandpenguin wrote:
Chaparrastique wrote:
finlandpenguin wrote:

Do you work for the Chinese government or something? I'm not interested in China. I never said anything about China in my original post.
Rolling Eyes

No need to get tetchy. Rolling Eyes Your little barb about working for '500 dollars a month' in China was wrong and you know you were wrong. Nothing wrong with being put straight when posting falsehoods, be grateful. Wink
finlandpenguin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

happyinhenan wrote:
finlandpenguin wrote:
happyinhenan wrote:
finlandpenguin wrote:
happyinhenan wrote:
finlandpenguin wrote:
Chaparrastique wrote:
finlandpenguin wrote:

Rolling Eyes

No need to get tetchy. Rolling Eyes Your little barb about working for '500 dollars a month' in China was wrong and you know you were wrong. Nothing wrong with being put straight when posting falsehoods, be grateful. Wink

Grateful? lol get over yourself. I really don't care if I was wrong or right. Like I said, I'm not interested in China. Thanks you've been most unhelpful.
happyinhenan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

finlandpenguin wrote:
Thanks you've been most unhelpful.

Anytime.

Cool
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finlandpenguin wrote:

Thanks you've been a cretin. Seek therapy.
Koharski
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaparrastique wrote:
finlandpenguin wrote:

Thanks you've been a cretin. Seek therapy.

Unacceptable. This is your final warning. Your account will be suspended if another post of this nature appears in this thread or any other.

Koharski
DurugonSeGi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

happyinhenan wrote:
finlandpenguin wrote:

Anytime.

Cool

you schooled him big time haha.

I've just gotten here looking into the Korean ESL market, have to say I agree with you nothing here comes close to comparing with what I'm seeing advertised in China.

Always wanted to live in Seoul though
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Always wanted to live in Seoul though

Why?
World Traveler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHHeGstWlI8
TheMeerkatLover

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been working in university departments (not language centres) for 10 years. I am also the hiring committee who makes the final decisions regarding the recruitment and hiring of new foreign faculty in my department. The difference in the quality of the applicants has been noticeably better since the requirements had become more stringent.

A few years ago, we had 1 opening and over 700 applied for the position.

Requirements were a graduate degree and 2 years FULL TIME university teaching experience.

Approx 1/3 of the CV's had fraudulent credentials (fake scans, mixed dates and some degrees had spelling errors). 1/3! I was stunned.

Anyone who graduated with a Korean degree was binned. I know the quality of education here and it's sorely lacking on many levels.

Of ALL the applicants, 4 (yes 4) had matched the educational requirements (degree in hand, verified working experience). My university flew me to Canada to personally interview one candidate in his kitchen which took a few hours.

He completed his first contract and is still here. Yet our 'working conditions' are somewhat 'old school' (9hrs a week lecturing, 12 week holidays in summer & winter). These 'lowering' of working conditions happen when universities try to hogwonize and hire far too many faculty.

If you want to enjoy your working experience, try working for a university that is smaller. I think you'll find that there are quite a few gems out there if you are lucky enough to apply at the right time and actually meet the hiring requirements.
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheMeerkatLover wrote:
I am also the hiring committee who makes the final decisions regarding the recruitment and hiring of new foreign faculty in my department.

You know you are pretty important when you are an entire committee.
Pretty cool position MeerKatt.
Cheers
Jodami

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. As somebody who left the ROK 2.5 years ago, AND haven't posted on here for a while - simply amazing to see earthquakez still crying about being overlooked for uni jobs in Korea.

As somebody who did 6 years at Korean unis - don't be fooled by earthquack, getting a job at a uni in Korea is not nearly the impossible dream this guy would have you all believe!
sligo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheMeerkatLover wrote:
I have been working in university departments (not language centres) for 10 years. I am also the hiring committee who makes the final decisions regarding the recruitment and hiring of new foreign faculty in my department. The difference in the quality of the applicants has been noticeably better since the requirements had become more stringent.

A few years ago, we had 1 opening and over 700 applied for the position.

Requirements were a graduate degree and 2 years FULL TIME university teaching experience.

Approx 1/3 of the CV's had fraudulent credentials (fake scans, mixed dates and some degrees had spelling errors). 1/3! I was stunned.

Anyone who graduated with a Korean degree was binned. I know the quality of education here and it's sorely lacking on many levels.

Of ALL the applicants, 4 (yes 4) had matched the educational requirements (degree in hand, verified working experience). My university flew me to Canada to personally interview one candidate in his kitchen which took a few hours.

He completed his first contract and is still here. Yet our 'working conditions' are somewhat 'old school' (9hrs a week lecturing, 12 week holidays in summer & winter). These 'lowering' of working conditions happen when universities try to hogwonize and hire far too many faculty.

If you want to enjoy your working experience, try working for a university that is smaller. I think you'll find that there are quite a few gems out there if you are lucky enough to apply at the right time and actually meet the hiring requirements.

The tightening of the conditions has had many side effects, not least ring fencing the pool and keeping in dead wood whilst excluding fresh blood. The last hiring round saw my uni hire from a diminished pool which met the criteria on paper, but in practice some seemed like the discount aisle of the supermarket; eventually someone will have to buy.

The current rules were put in as a well-meaning measure to ensure a high standard of education..... sorry, i can't finish that sentence. Let me start again. The current rules were a knee jerk reaction to idiots and pressure groups who (like the rest of the Korean Education System) only care about results and not the process of intellectual development.

At the moment the rules mean that anyone with a masters degree and experience are a shoe in for almost any job. The talent pool diminishes every year, but cannot grow to compensate. This is not a healthy state. When people know they cannot be replaced, they become lazy and their positions suffer. Not a good situation for the students. Take a look at tenured Korean profs. classrooms; final exams should start in week 15 (2 weeks from now) But the Korean profs do their exams in week 14 so they can have an extra week vacation. In week 15 all their classrooms are empty Why? because they know they can get away with it.

On a side note: A lot of Unis now use a referal system. They ask the current staff to recommend people for upcoming positions (who meet the application criteria of course). So, you want a uni job? buddy up to someone who has one.
skinsk05

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind, Dave's Cafe was a pioneer in ESL placement/forums, but it's always had a lot of negativism. I rarely go here to the forums (maybe once or twice a year these days?) but when I first came to Korea (c. 1998) this was about all we had, and it was still pretty negative. I just read a few threads and I wonder why some of these people are here, or still here? These days when I spend time with foreigners in Korea, most are fun, positive, and happy!

Korean universities (public schools, and even private institutes) have the right to be picky. I started in 3rd rate colleges and worked my way up to a top university (and well over $40.000 a year--including 22 weeks paid vacation a year). Having integrity, flexibility, and an understanding of Korea and Korean has helped me, as well as not being a whiner/complainer. I feel very lucky to be where I am, and I take my position seriously.

That said, I know people with less qualifications (maybe no MA, no English or education background) who take lesser positions, but still enjoy themselves and enjoy their jobs and (I think/hope) help their students ton improve their English.

If you don't want to be in Korea, if you don't enjoy being here and like the people/your students, then it is best to leave. It will do everyone good.

If ESL is your calling, if you love Korea and love teaching and love your students, then there are many great jobs and you will be happy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 3 of 22

Jump to: