Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Foot >>> Door for Korean unis: What's attractive?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazyauntc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:00 am    Post subject: Foot >>> Door for Korean unis: What's attractive? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I’m a newish reader of Dave’s. I’ve been enjoying lurking on the boards for the last few months, and often chuckling at some of the conversations that arise.

So my question is this: when applying to Korean universities, what sorts of ‘topics’, or subjects, might they like to see listed among your teaching experience? I ask this because I’m currently on a teaching fellowship in Africa for 2 years, and I can basically create workshops for both local English teachers and university students about whatever topics I want. For example, I’m currently doing a series of workshops on dealing with large classes (for teachers) and academic/creative writing (for university students). I’m assuming something that more explicitly relates to teaching grammar would be attractive as well.

Thanks much for clueing me in! I’d also love to hear about other things Korean universities might look approvingly on in the hiring process. By the time I apply, I will have four years’ teaching experience (two pre-MA and two post-MA).

A little bit about me: I have an MA in Applied Linguistics, with a TESOL Emphasis. Back in 2009, I went to Europe to teach English for a year with a BA in English Lit, only to decide I wanted to make a career of TEFL. I’m 28, female, and yes, ok, blonde and petite (shut up).
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you like black Labradors? I'm up for adoption..
SeoulNate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Foot >>> Door for Korean unis: What's attractiv Reply with quote

crazyauntc wrote:

Thanks much for clueing me in! I’d also love to hear about other things Korean universities might look approvingly on in the hiring process. By the time I apply, I will have four years’ teaching experience (two pre-MA and two post-MA).

1. University experience
2. Experience with Korean students
3. Ability to deliver a clear speech/lesson + answer pedagogy questions
3. Not being weird

I've sat in on the last two hiring sessions at my uni and those are all they really care about to be honest.
Paddycakes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Foot >>> Door for Korean unis: What's attractiv Reply with quote

Quote:

3. Not being weird

kkk
SeoulNate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Foot >>> Door for Korean unis: What's attractiv Reply with quote

Paddycakes wrote:
Quote:

3. Not being weird

kkk

Seriously though... we got around 300 resumes during the last uptake, interviewed 25 or so and of those more than half were incredibly creepy or socially inept.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a lot of interviews. And man hours
World Traveler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Foot >>> Door for Korean unis: What's attractiv Reply with quote

SeoulNate wrote:
more than half were incredibly creepy or socially inept.

Does EFL teaching attract creepy and/or socially inept characters?

What's up with that?

What was the criteria used to narrow down the pool from 300 to 25? (I'm guessing the BA+4/MA+2/PhD+0 requirement was one, but what else?)

And how many positions did your university fill? (I'm wondering about the percentage of those interviewed who end up getting a job.)
finlandpenguin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this will be helpful. When I taught in Korea at one of the large hagwons, there were two guys who landed uni gigs. One guy landed a uni job after six months in-country. He taught business English classes and had an MBA. He took his job very seriously - wore a suit and tie everyday. He didn't engage is crying and whining with the rest of the teachers about the job.

The other guy had worked there for a couple of years, only had a BA, but had some connections. He was an excellent teacher, very aggressive type-A personality. The uni job he got was teaching just very basic conversation classes, but it was 4 days a week, 3 hours a day, 4 months paid vacation.

As far as I know, out of about 40 teachers these were the only people who even tried to land a uni job, so with your experience and qualifications I think you should definitely be at a university, especially with that MA in linguistics. Basically, dress for the part, maybe get in the door at a hagwon that will let you teach anything other than conversation classes which most unis won't even acknowledge. Look at the uni jobs on Dave's and see what they want people to teach. Read the requirements and do what you can to meet them.
chickenpie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four hours a week.

Three days a week.

Six months vacation.

Don't work for GEPIK or EPIK or SMOE beforehand, our department won't hire you.

Have a PHd, or at least an MA and CELTA , DELTA, and years of experience with excellent references that can be contacted, and Uni experience.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct. Prior uni experience is required. Without it, a person can't get in (despite what the "How to Get a University Job in Korea" book seller may claim). In the past, it was much easier to get a university position. Now (in 2015) it's not. Since 2014, prior university experience (for those with less than a PhD) has been required. It's an official rule that is being strictly enforced. Universities are downsizing as student enrollment numbers decline. Things are nothing like they used to be.
crazyauntc

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all-

Apologies for my delay in responding; I've been having some login issues.

I really appreciate the insight! It's been my impression that uni jobs are among the most competitive, so I want to prepare as best I can.

Chickenpie- just out of curiosity, why wouldn't your department hire someone coming from EPIK, etc?
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenpie wrote:
Four hours a week.

Three days a week.

Six months vacation.

Don't work for GEPIK or EPIK or SMOE beforehand, our department won't hire you.

Have a PHd, or at least an MA and CELTA , DELTA, and years of experience with excellent references that can be contacted, and Uni experience.

How come you don't like public school?
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I'd say you'd have to be willing to express a willingness to work for less, pay for your own housing, and bend over for those high up in the ivory tower (or at least go along with their power games).
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This ----> http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=235143&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
SeoulNate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Foot >>> Door for Korean unis: What's attractiv Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:

What was the criteria used to narrow down the pool from 300 to 25? (I'm guessing the BA+4/MA+2/PhD+0 requirement was one, but what else?)

And how many positions did your university fill? (I'm wondering about the percentage of those interviewed who end up getting a job.)

Sorry, missed the reply.

Probably 80% of the resumes just went straight in the trash because the candidates were either overseas or didn't have at least an MA or didn't provide any real reference letters (the office calls the references before even setting up the interview). A few got tossed because the candidate was qualified, but got terrible references. Even fewer got tossed because the candidate had a PHD, but no teaching experience.

Teaching experience at university was not prioritized. The university ended up hiring three teachers, two of which had no uni teaching experience but 5+ years in Korea. All three had their MA in either TESOL or linguistics from non-degree mill type institutes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: