Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how much to charge for privates:?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  

how much is enough??
25-30.000
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
30-35.000
18%
 18%  [ 9 ]
35-40.000
16%
 16%  [ 8 ]
40.000-50.000
35%
 35%  [ 17 ]
I wont get out of bed for less than 50.000
22%
 22%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 48

itaewonguy

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 9:11 am    Post subject: how much to charge for privates:? Reply with quote

what do you think is fair??

I know it depends on block hours, or company, business, etc...

but lets just say average job you know what I mean..

other wise post it..
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zero, risk is not worth it and I value my free time.
Grim Ja

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by Grim Ja on Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:04 am; edited 1 time in total
gajackson1

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am under the presumption the OP & KCK are referring to ILLEGAL privates (which is the kind everyone I know teaches); it has been recently made legal to tutor privates, but a big hassle (paperwork, taxes, etc.)

I would say a lot of factors are involved - for example, type of class (conver vs. grammar or writing), the area/affluence, schedule/hours, your qualifications, and your appearance, for starters.

For me, 50k/student/hour is about 'right,' but I would drop to 45 or 40 for the right kids, if I was to teach privately.

Which I don't - my free time is worth more than that, too. Smile

Regards,

G.
Dr. Buck

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I value my free time too much to earn some extra money. I would rather surf a message board and post banalities, inane remarks, and argue about pointless and trivial subjects. Since I don't have much a of a life, I find satisfaction to spend countless hours reading, reviewing and remarking on my favorite message board. I like this so much that I refuse to teach privates even if it was 100,000 per hour.
I teach less than twenty hours per week for my regular job, and rather than use that free time to work on the side and try to progress toward my financial goals, I like to surf my favorite website for hours on end. It bothers me that some people are aggressive about making money to follow their dreams, or make extra cash to help their family. I don't understand why they teach privates when they should just be satisfied with their normal salary.
Also I am very scared of getting busted for doing such a thing. I don't have the confidence to take chances or risks so I prefer not to engage in any sort of side incomes. I guess you could say I'm not a "go-getter" or very good at numbers, math, and money. Calculating my future earnings in the Korean ESL industry makes me afraid so I try not to think about it. It's much better and easier on the nerves to surf my favorite website. I try not to worry too much about the future because it makes me uneasy to think that my current ESL job is actually a dead end job that will only lead to another dead end ESL job. I just hope my regular job holds out and everything goes fine with that because with my savings from my school's salary, I haven't saved enough money. Maybe I'll have to keep teaching ESL in Korea for another ten or so years in order to develop a nest egg.
It makes me very mad and jealous when I hear of people making more money than me by teaching privates, especially when they talk about their financial goals and what they hope to accompish with their savings, like the time when another teacher left Korea to start her own business in Canada, or when a student loan gets paid off, or when a teacher told me he was making a down payment on a house in California with his earnings. That guy's good fortune bothered me so much but I guess my provided apartment is good enough for the next few years. I supposed my family doesn't need a backyard or much room to do things.
Yeah, I just keep telling myself everything will be okay as long as I don't teach privates.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Buck wrote:
Since I don't have much a of a life, I find satisfaction to spend countless hours reading, reviewing and remarking on my favorite message board. I like this so much that I refuse to teach privates even if it was 100,000 per hour.

I assume that this is a jab at me. Hmmm... actually I have a wife, a child, a masters program underway, many friends that I visit regularly. Yes I do post here regularly but what does that matter.

Quote:
teach less than twenty hours per week for my regular job, and rather than use that free time to work on the side and try to progress toward my financial goals, I like to surf my favorite website for hours on end. It bothers me that some people are aggressive about making money to follow their dreams, or make extra cash to help their family. I don't understand why they teach privates when they should just be satisfied with their normal salary.

Actually my university is a 20 hour contract so i don't work less than that. I spend almost an equal amount of time preparing and grading. Have you ever had to grade 24 two-three page essays? it takes a long time. plus daily reading/writing homework. In order to help my family I am getting a MA so that my future will be secure in the ESL/linguistics field. If you teach privately that is your perogative, but getting deported and being persona non gratis is not something I am prepared to do. I have too much invested in this country to make the risk worth the rewards. It takes upwards of a year to get a landed immigrant visa processed. I do not want to wait 1 year to see my wife and daughter if I can not come back to this country. Furthermore I am in the process of working on a business venture here, pretty hard to do that if I am deported. When I recommend not to teach privates it is also because I believe in following the law of the land that I am residing in.

Quote:
It makes me very mad and jealous when I hear of people making more money than me by teaching privates, especially when they talk about their financial goals and what they hope to accompish with their savings, like the time when another teacher left Korea to start her own business in Canada, or when a student loan gets paid off, or when a teacher told me he was making a down payment on a house in California with his earnings.

I've getting ready to put down 120,000,000 won deposit on an apartment in Korea. I think I can afford to buy a house when I move home. I did this without privates. I don't get jealous if you make lots of money making privates. While you are out working hard, I am spending time with my family & friends, pursuing a higher education, following up on hobbies & not getting stressed about overworking. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

It is my experience that the teachers who are teaching privates are the ones most likely to be bitter about their life in Korea due to not having any down time. work in the hogwon/university - after that hop on the bus/subway and go teach a class repeat repeat, go home get some sleep and repreat ad nauseum.

I go to work, come home, and do what I find interesting, enjoying my life. If you want to be in the country for only 1 year, 2 max, then teaching privates may be for you. But most long-timers, and all that I personally know, do not teach privates.

Quote:
That guy's good fortune bothered me so much but I guess my provided apartment is good enough for the next few years. I supposed my family doesn't need a backyard or much room to do things.
Yeah, I just keep telling myself everything will be okay as long as I don't teach privates.

I haven't lived in company housing except for my first contract. I don't like the feeling of being indentured to my employer. speak for yourself, but I have lots of freedom. If I change my job I don't have to move.
The Lemon

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was waiting for the "people who don't do privates are uncool jealous stupid wimps" post. Thanks Dr. Buck, you didn't let me down on any of the above.

Chalk me down with KCK & gajackson.

Quote:
But most long-timers, and all that I personally know, do not teach privates.

This is my experience as well. I don't know any 3+ year colleague that teaches privates.
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm newbie and don't do privates....

I'm here to enjoy my fulltime earnings for what has until now been a part time job... I've worked like a dog in the past and it just about killed me...

Also if you get deported you can pretty much kiss goodbye to getting entry visas to a lot of countries and some countries don't like to let people in who break the conditions of their visas... australia for example.

CLG
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing about privates.... when you say you get 50,000 won per hour or whatever does that include the time you prep and travel to and from your class.

Let's say it takes about 30 minutes door to door so return trip that's 1 hour. plus prep time (you do prep right?) 20-30 minutes. It looks to me like you are getting paid 50,000won for 2.5 hours, approximately 20,000 won per hour. Is it really worth it? My free time is worth more than 20,000 won per hour.

30 minutes is about what it took various people that I know who were doing privates. Walk to subway, ride the train, walk to kids apt. some were longer some shorter. It really doesn't seem worth it to me.
weatherman

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to jump in too, and say I don't teach any privates. I really love Korea, and want to stay. Seven years invested is a long time, and to waste it all on the issue of money would be pretty stupid. Granted I wish I had more money, but I truely value my free time and even if I could teach privates legally, I doubt I would do that much.
jurassic5

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i was in korea the last couple of years on vacation and school, i taught privates...mostly for drinking money etc. i also taught at a hair salon, so i got some hook-ups through that too. it was illegal for me, but the chance of me getting caught was like 1 in a million...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Canuck

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr.Buck,
In two years I will have saved over 30, nearly 35 thousand dollars. Without teaching a single private class. I am married, have a lot invested in this country, and just like kimcheeking, Im not gonna risk everything (my marriage, job, hundred grand in the bank) by getting deported for running around the city to teach little kids in their homes. I value myself and my time far more than petty cash I would get from doing privates. Kimcheemade a good point about the travelling time, for which you dont get compensated.

name calling deleted by kimcheeking
itaewonguy

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a few I wont get out of bed for 50.000!! and a few 40.000..
just wondering do you acually get work for 50.000 I mean a lot??

and in block hours... ?? what type of privates are they??
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="gajackson1"]I am under the presumption the OP & KCK are referring to ILLEGAL privates (which is the kind everyone I know teaches); it has been recently made legal to tutor privates, but a big hassle (paperwork, taxes, etc.)

Is this true? How does one do it legally?

when I fist came to Korea (1996) I heard many people were teaching for over 50,000 per hour and the won was much stronger then. Many were also receiving American dollars for pay. (not me)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Seth Gecko

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimcheeking wrote:
One more thing about privates.... when you say you get 50,000 won per hour or whatever does that include the time you prep and travel to and from your class.

Let's say it takes about 30 minutes door to door so return trip that's 1 hour. plus prep time (you do prep right?) 20-30 minutes. It looks to me like you are getting paid 50,000won for 2.5 hours, approximately 20,000 won per hour. Is it really worth it? My free time is worth more than 20,000 won per hour.

30 minutes is about what it took various people that I know who were doing privates. Walk to subway, ride the train, walk to kids apt. some were longer some shorter. It really doesn't seem worth it to me.

Yeah, you really have to take that time into account. Not to mention the cost of busses and subways. I do privates, but I look at the whole picture.

By the way, you should have said:
The poster formally known as Captain Obvious 2.0 needs to remove his Gord complex!
(No jab at you, Gord! I just couln't resist Smile )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: