Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How long will you be in Korea?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harpeau

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We plan to be here one more day! Living in Korea is a bit like a 12- step program ~ one breath at a time...just breath...breath in 4 beats, breath out 6 beats...slow down that vegas nerve... calm your anxiety...just breath...that's it!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

motiontodismiss wrote:
Weigookin74 wrote:
PRagic wrote:
Actually, 10 million down and a million to 1.5 a month isn't bad. If you can get a decent 3 bedroom in the Twon for that still, it's better than you can get in other central locations by a long shot.

If you put down 50 or 60 million won, what kind of apartment with what kind of rent would that get you in Seoul? Just curious.

I always assumed the more you put down, the cheaper your monthly rent is?

In Seoul, that kind of down payment (30%) would get you a 300 square foot, "one-bedroom"(actually a studio) apartment that is structurally unsound in a terrible area. Not only do you get to deal with low water pressure, a complete lack of insulation, cockroaches, parking problems, and others of that nature, you might one day come home to find your apartment reduced to a pile of rubble.

Outside of Seoul, you'll do a little better.....at least you're not in danger of the roof caving in.

Crazy! I just rent a one room but I paid 3 million deposit and 300,000 won a month rent. It's a modern building with insulation, decent sound proofing, no mold, cheap energy bill (gas, electric - air con), etc. Built 2008? It's safe and structurally sound. But, I'm out in the provinces far from Seoul. A two room is 4 million deposit and 400,000 won. Very modern villas. Of course, high rise apartments are much more than this.
mgafunnell

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went in 2004 thinking I would stay for a year and lasted seven months. I 2007 I came to Shanghai thinking I'd stay for a year and have been here ever since.
PRagic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. And it supports an old axiom in international management; success in one country and culture doesn't necessarily guarantee success in another. Korea wasn't for you, but you thrive in China. Glad you found a place that works for you, and you definitely got in at a good time.
Francis-Pax

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: How long will you be in Korea? Reply with quote

Who's Your Daddy? wrote:
When I first went to Korea in 2003, I met a co-worker half-way through a second contract, and I thought, "wow, she's lived here a long time" - ha, ha it was only 18 months. Not many people stayed for a second year then, many people didn't even make a year. I remember people that cracked up and left after like nine months. [One guy phoned in his quitting from the airport departure lounge].

About six months in I went to a staff meeting of people from other branches. I asked these two guys, "so are you going to do another year?" And they were like, "hell no." That was the prevailing attitude at the time.

So it was a very short term thing then. I doubt on average people even stayed through one contract.

==
I guess things have changed. So what I'm curious about is, how long do you plan to stay in Korea in total? Do people arrive with 3 year plans, say?

It's been interesting to read people's thought on the question you posed. I lived in Korea for five years, then China, then a couple places in the Middle East. I have the experience and qualifications that put in me in the top 1% of the EFL world. However, my thoughts on the entire thing have really changed over time as I have considered the opportunity cost of living this lifestyle.

I am not judging anyone here. Everybody is different. People's goals are always unique. BUT -- I think the vast majority of people doing EFL at all levels have been caught in a drift and comfortable status quo. Looking back, I think that I would have got out sooner knowing what I know now, but I have learned a lot in the process and fortunately I have other options.

I read a lot of talk about retirement, etc. My friends, very few people are going to be able to live the fantasies people have described in this thread on your salary, and a lot of it depends on your health and ability to maintain it in your later years. My advice to all is to enjoy yourself, but look to the future. If you feel stuck in Korea, be courageous and make that shift as soon as you can even if it is painful.

Again, not judging people here. I am sure some of you are truly deeply content in Korea, but I often wonder how much of that is just resignation to a situation that is perceived as unchangeable.

I post this this in another thread, but repeat it here. I look at the job board and see the same salaries being offered 10 years ago. With the rate of inflation that is a huge loss of purchasing power. I think it doesn't make sense for younger people to stay very long. When I look at the fact that I earn nearly three times what I made in Korea and live in a spacious luxury apartment, I think to myself, "How the hell did I live in Korea making such terrible money?" Of course, I didn't think like that while in Korea. That is because my mind was not aware of what more was possible. That, in my opinion, is the danger of remaining in Korea too long for most foreign English language teachers. MOD EDIT
PRagic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, you just described any care taking place anywhere in the world.
PRagic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus, if you're in the top 1%, you have a PhD and at least 50 publications. This would of course provide employment flexibility!
jlb

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just reached the 6 month point of my return to Canada, after living in Korea for 10 years. It was easier than I thought to go back, even without a detailed plan for employment. Here's a recent blog post I wrote about the transition for anyone interested:

http://teachinginkoreanuniversity.com/6-months-canada-update/
PRagic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vancouver is unexpectedly affordable? Seriously? I've never heard anyone say THAT before!

And what is this surprisingly good salary the movie industry is paying, albeit for the admittedly long hours? I'm dubious because there's usually a very good reason that a job is surprisingly easy to get with no experience or connections, and that reason is that the pay blows.

If you need ready access to most of the food and amenities you mention, then, agreed, working abroad probably isn't for you.

Another option for university teachers is to simply get out of Korea for 4 months a year. Enjoy time with family, get to a beach, or do some diving or tracking while a paycheck is being deposited. The job is 'kind of a joke' if treated as such, and presumably once you get burned out on living away from your home country.

Sorry, but I tend to be critical of people who paint what they do in rose colored strokes, especially after they denigrate a job that they espoused taking, even to the tune of writing a book to help people get said job, until that job and the country it was in were no longer 'good', after which time another book had to be generated to inform people how to leave. While all the time, pretty much all the material could be found on Dave's, no less!

Glad things are working out for you there. Truly. You hit your wall and made the move that was right for you. No partner, no kids. You. And the pets, of course.
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a long term teacher in S. Korea and now China (finishing a second year here) I can say that it's better here now. Even in my small town (small by Chinese standards..200,000 people here) I can find some Western style goods and baked foods. (In my first gig, I had a WalMart about 20 minutes away by bus.)

So living here (as opposed to 5 or 10 years ago) might give somewhat different opinions to those expressed on an earlier page.

As for the link http://www.lindalivinginchina.com/2014/09/08/differences-between-china-and-korea/

she's more right than wrong. Not to say that most Koreans are uber polite (they most certainly are not) but they aren't a patch on the Chinese (at least in my experience) Cutting in line, pushing, spitting on the ground are far more common here then they were in Korea (when I left) and I've lived in a fair number of Korean communities over the years. But you also have mothers letting their children go right there on the sidewalk (wearing the infamous split pants...do a google search if you want to know more). A simple trip to the supermarket and back and you can see 3-4 such scenes. Then there is the hysterical staring complete with dropped jaw and bulging eyes when they spot you. They will stand there like that and stare, turning around to watch you as you pass them and even far down the street. I've turned around several times after a minute or two and sure enough they are still standing there watching me from 10+ meters away. Of course this is not true of ALL people in the communities here, but enough to be a bit annoying.

Then there are the 'crazies'/beggars who make a beeline for you when they see you. And the side market touts who try to get your attention...sometimes running out and dancing up and down in front of you spluttering Chinese or some strange sub-dialect thereof. I can't say that the last things have really happened to me in Korea...and I've mostly lived in small towns...although I did a year in Ulsan and another 2 in Daejeon.
schwa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PRagic wrote:
Vancouver is unexpectedly affordable? Seriously? I've never heard anyone say THAT before!

And what is this surprisingly good salary the movie industry is paying?

I was in Vancouver a couple of weeks ago for a couple weeks. Such a beautiful city. Definitely spendy though. My daughter's modest suite in Kits is way overpriced & other stuff doesn't come cheap. Film industry folk do well for themselves there though, I know several of them. A case of who ya know & luck to crack that nut.
TorontoToronto

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlb wrote:
I've just reached the 6 month point of my return to Canada, after living in Korea for 10 years. It was easier than I thought to go back, even without a detailed plan for employment. Here's a recent blog post I wrote about the transition for anyone interested:

http://teachinginkoreanuniversity.com/6-months-canada-update/

I was working abroad for 8 years (4 in the USA and 4 in Singapore) and your blog post rings true. Brings back a lot of memories. It is weird going back and like you say, surprisingly easier than you'd think. I knew I wouldn't be living forever in Singapore and every day I was there I thought "I'm going to miss this place like crazy." But you're so busy with trying to restart your life (get your health card, driver's license, a job, an apartment etc.), you really don't have time to miss much.

Weird, too, the little changes. Like, McDonald's started serving McFlurries. My greatest joy was finding Ontario added a public holiday in February, a couple weeks before the holiday.

I have to say Toronto was not the Toronto of my memory from 8 years before. It seemed like it had gotten dirtier. The subway was a miserable joke, dirty and unreliable. People throw trash, mostly Tim Hortons cups, anywhere they want, except actual garbage cans. Then again, it could be I just never noticed and because Singapore is so clean, now stuff sticks out at you.

Oh. And for a couple weeks I was hearing Canadians say "oot" and "aboot". Weird.
ArabicTeacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be returning to Alberta, Canada, unfortunately.
TorontoToronto

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArabicTeacher wrote:

The economy has gone right into the toilet, that's for sure. But Alberta always bounces back. Then again, their may be better reasons not to move back. Like the cold, maybe racism. Of course, the boom/bust cycle would keep me away.
silkhighway

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TorontoToronto wrote:
ArabicTeacher wrote:

The economy has gone right into the toilet, that's for sure. But Alberta always bounces back. Then again, their may be better reasons not to move back. Like the cold, maybe racism. Of course, the boom/bust cycle would keep me away.

Racism? Edmonton and Calgary are very multicultural cities, as are a lot of the smaller cities, probably more so than smaller cities in Ontario since there has been such a huge influx of immigrants over the last decade because of the oil boom. There are also still advantages Alberta has compared to Ontario and BC. Personal and corporate taxes are the lowest in the country, the provincial debt is low (yes the deficit is concerning, but it has a long way to go before it's as bad as Ontario or Quebec), housing is still affordable, salaries are still 17% higher than the national average, and there is a large young working-age population.

BC is awesome, but when I visited it, it striked me how everyone is really old, except in the Vancouver suburbs. Even Vancouver, as lovely as it is and for all its talk about being a world-class city, it isn't very diverse, because frankly, for anyone not already established it's too expensive to live there.

Yes, Alberta's economy is heavily oil-dependent, and nobody knows which price oil is going to go, but I wouldn't bet against Alberta just yet.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Page 13 of 13

Jump to: