Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Did anyone get the job that they applied for ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcd

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:42 pm    Post subject: Did anyone get the job that they applied for ? Reply with quote

On recruiter pages, I looked at the ads and saw low hours but when I applied for the job, they usually sent me some others jobs with more hours and less pay.
It could be because my age, low 30s, and they recommend younger teachers to the more desirable jobs; in order to secure the contract over other recruiters. .

Anyways the whole thing seems murky. How do you know that a list of job are even available? Maybe someone who worked with a recruiter might know about this? I see some ads that say they have 100 positions and to take some time to look.

Did anyone here get the job that you applied for that was listed on their websites? Not the one that was recommended to you?
SeoulNate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have been hired at many jobs that I applied for over the years.

The key is to not work with a single recruiter, work with many until the job that you are looking for pops up. Recruiters are a dime a dozen.
northway

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recruiters are all about the bait and switch. This isn't to say that those jobs aren't real, but they often have very specific requests from employers as to what kind of teacher they're looking for. You could potentially get the job you're looking for, but the less experienced you are and the less you fit target demographics the less likely that becomes.
matthews_world

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeoulNate wrote:

The key is to not work with a single recruiter.

This often shoots people in the foot and will inevitably put the jobseeker on the recruiters blacklist.

Recruiters compete for the same jobs to be filled. If a hagwon boss sees your resume submitted multiple times to them then this could be a red flag.

The best idea is to use one or two recruiters and tell them blatantly you are also working with another recruiter as to alleviate confusion.
PRagic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Period. Use any and all recruiters. They work for potential employers, NOT you. You don't pay them, placing you gets them paid. You are under absolutely no obligation to tell them that you're working with other recruiters.

Any recruiter that puts you on a 'recruiter black list' is a farce and should be red flagged to begin with.

Whoever gets you the job that satisfies your criteria wins. That simple.
trueblue

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No. Period. Use any and all recruiters. They work for potential employers, NOT you. You don't pay them, placing you gets them paid. You are under absolutely no obligation to tell them that you're working with other recruiters.

Any recruiter that puts you on a 'recruiter black list' is a farce and should be red flagged to begin with.

Whoever gets you the job that satisfies your criteria wins. That simple.

Then all of them should be flagged. And, there IS the recruiter blacklist. I know this for a fact. Yes, it is illegal but they don't seem to mind.

Recruiters are scum...
pmwhittier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always gotten the job that I applied for, although sometimes the job that I applied for was not the same in practice as it was in the advertisement. I also found that having realistic expectations helps in getting a job that is a good fit. Since I'm older, I know that I can't keep up with an Avalon or Chungdahm pace. It took me 2 years before I was able to figure out the system well enough to land my current job, which I will keep until I either leave Korea or the school ceases to exist.
jcd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just sent a recruiter that I have been talking to for a bit, a request for a position. They posted it today, and they told me it was filled a while ago.
She could have just said okay ill send it or they are looking for a woman or whatever if I am not suited for it.
wooden nickels

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcd wrote:
I just sent a recruiter that I have been talking to for a bit, a request for a position. They posted it today, and they told me it was filled a while ago.
She could have just said okay ill send it or they are looking for a woman or whatever if I am not suited for it.

Sometimes recruiters leave job positions posted as a means of keeping their recruiting business looking busy, real estate agents will tend to do this also. I base this info on personally knowing one of each. Sometimes recruiters do the bait-and-switch. They post something that they don't have in order to offer something not as good. Or, they just try to get you to take a dirt job because the better job will be easier to fill. Often, recruiters are looking for a pretty young, blond female from North America.
isitts

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Did anyone get the job that they applied for ? Reply with quote

With recruiters, you just give them the parameters you’re looking for, and they find a school that matches.

If you want to apply for individual schools, it’s probably better to apply directly, if possible.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have wondered what I'd face now. I'm white with dark hair and light eyes, handsome according to the Koreans, reasonably fit, but with a small belly, and am older (now late 30's - look early 30's). So, I'd have a leg up on some and not others or maybe employers don't care like before? I think not looking like a pedophile is key? I knew some 50 year old teachers who fit this appearance description though they were actually really nice guys who obviously weren't. I've stuck with the same employer since I've been here through those lean recessionary years and kids seem to like me mostly.
jcd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of the jobs they post simply aren't available.

They have the same practice at car dealerships.

When I shopped for a car, the websites listed some pretty good deals; what you would purchase a Hyundai for in the US. When I went there with my Korean friend, they directed me towards a much much worse car. Then they mocked me because I thought that I could find a decent car for 3 grand.

I guess the only way to test if they exist would be to send a resume of a young pretty woman coming here for her first year; so smelly Han Min, can be her Korean daddy.

This is clearly bait and switch.

Job description
Private Academy

Salary
2.2~2.4 mil

Student
Pre-school and Elementary

Starting day
September or October / 6months contract

Teaching days and hours
2:30 to 5:40 pm only 3 hours

Qualification
Responsible/ Experiences/ University degree /F2visa /E2visa

Special benefit
Pension, Medical insurance, Severance,housing ,
wonkavite62

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: False Advertising Reply with quote

Well, you know, it would be terribly easy for recruiters, even hardworking recruiters, to get kind of lazy about taking down those outdated ads. Essentially it is false advertising, but for a job that used to exist, as opposed to one that does now.
In 2014, my public school job ended. Unfortunately, the board of education decided contracts in that province would be from the end of April, with the result I more or less had to wait till the peak hiring season had ended before starting any new job. I had a couple of offers, but the employers could not wait till the end of April, and I didn't want to lose my hefty severance pay.
I remember applying for jobs and being ignored many, many times, especially by a certain religious lady recruiter who insisted on posting jobs on Seoul Craigslist, but who only ever seemed to have jobs in remote small towns. I told he that as a fellow Christian, I wanted to be within commuting distance of an English Church in Seoul, not 5 and a half hours away, by bus.
She didn't listen.
Last year I think there was a young American woman on Dave's ESL, who wanted a job in Seoul. She had some experience, but as he post said, it was "taking ages" to find a job. Possibly because some of the jobs in "popular" locations basically just don't exist.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: