Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I am looking for some place to chill for a couple months
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trevor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:54 pm    Post subject: I am looking for some place to chill for a couple months Reply with quote

Can someone recommend some out of the way, non-touristy places to chill for the summer? Ideally I would like to find a long-term stay situation in a resort that won't break my bank card....it doesn't have to be on the beach, but some nice hiking would be good. I'm tapped out of ideas.
Drew345

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Domestic Korea or International?

International I like:
Thailand: Pai or Nong Khai can be good long term (but both can still be hot)
Myanmar: Maymyo is a hill station with cool summer temps and nowadays good wifi I heard. One month visa issues though.

I was planning on setting myself in Maymyo for a month to lean Java programming but ending up having to cancel and stay in Seoul Sad.
slothrop

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by slothrop on Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Trevor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the responses/ I have been to Pai, Chaing Mai. I have never been to Myanmar...Maybe that's next. I am actually thinking of Cambodia or vietnam because I haven't done those yet. I want to just go into deep chill mode. I think I may be able to do that in Cambodia.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slothrop wrote:
why java and not some other language? most "where to get started" books recommend learning c, c++, and python?

Java is often used as a scripting language where C or C++ are not used for basic scripts. PERL is another useful scripting language.

slothrop

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by slothrop on Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
mike in brasil

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Nong Khai and Burma too. NK has more of what I like about Thai and less of the pushiness and prostitution. And u can walk to Laos. In Burma I really liked Mrauk and Ngapali beach.

I'd have to throw Vang Vieng in there; super chill and cheap. Good deals on most anything that floats your boat. The owner of the rasta bar was friggin' hilarious. Beautiful geography and a good place if like to hike/walk.

In Cambodia, Kep is very interesting too. Great peppercorn crab curry there. The boardwalk is eerie, haunting and unforgettable.

India.... Challenging but rewarding... depending. Bundi! Get the ghoolis at the Tourist Center.
bossface

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If beach isn't an issue, I liked the Cameron Highlands in Malaysia a lot. Nice cool weather, like 15-20 degrees every day. Awesome food, lots of cheap delicious Indian places. If I ever take a couple months off to write a book or something, it would be high on my list. Nightlife is a little weak though.
Underwaterbob

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
Java is often used as a scripting language where C or C++ are not used for basic scripts. PERL is another useful scripting language.

It sounds like you want to learn JavaScript, not Java. They are completely unintuitively two separate and disparate things. To make things slightly more confusing, if you're looking to get into the web side of things, it's probably best to learn jQuery.

On topic: Koh Chang in Thailand is my favorite place in Thailand to waste time. It's a big, very laid-back island without most of the usual tourist claptrap you run into there. You are going to want to rent a scooter there though. The tuk tuks are a bunch of pickups and they have a monopoly on the island and charge a stupid flat rate. Scooters can be rented for ridiculously low amounts of money. Don't count on very reliable Internet.
PRagic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shihanoukville in Cambodia is pretty kicked back. It's kind of like going to Thailand 20 years ago.

We did a few weeks there a couple of years ago. It was almost new year when we rolled in, so it was 'expensive', but we paid something like 30 bucks for a room in a new hotel on beach road, and that included a great buffet breakfast at their rooftop restaruant overlooking the ocean. Could have gone low budget, but the backpacker suites, while cheap, were pretty scant.

If you're off season, and/or you don't mind staying in a bit away from the beach, I imagine you can get decent rooms at VERY reasonable rates. Ice cold beers were 50 cents served to you on the beach in a mug, and they didn't nickle and dime for a beach chair. Sit where you want, when you want, all the way down the beach. Food was...well, you don't go to Cambodia for the food.

I could do a couple of months there no problem. Very chill. Definitely worth a visit.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PRagic wrote:
Shihanoukville in Cambodia is pretty kicked back. It's kind of like going to Thailand 20 years ago.

We did a few weeks there a couple of years ago. It was almost new year when we rolled in, so it was 'expensive', but we paid something like 30 bucks for a room in a new hotel on beach road, and that included a great buffet breakfast at their rooftop restaruant overlooking the ocean. Could have gone low budget, but the backpacker suites, while cheap, were pretty scant.

If you're off season, and/or you don't mind staying in a bit away from the beach, I imagine you can get decent rooms at VERY reasonable rates. Ice cold beers were 50 cents served to you on the beach in a mug, and they didn't nickle and dime for a beach chair. Sit where you want, when you want, all the way down the beach. Food was...well, you don't go to Cambodia for the food.

I could do a couple of months there no problem. Very chill. Definitely worth a visit.

Cambodia has an ocean?
PRagic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muscled in on the Gulf of Thailand a bit. Lots on line. Guess there are flights there now from Siem Reip
ttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7107 islands in the Philippines and only about 2000 have regular inhabitants.

If you are in the Visayas or south then you avoid the typhoon belt so pretty much have warm, dry weather, cheap prices (rent a bungalow for $100/month or less and have basic internet via something like smartbro or globe-tattoo.

Living is cheap if you go local.

IF you want something with a bit more of the western conveniences then places like Tagbilaran (Bohol province) are OK and it is easy enough to get up-island to places like Talibon. Lots of local flavor, none of the tourist trappings and most of the conveniences.

Islands like Camigiun or Siquijor are a nice place to spend a month or so each.

Yaya

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
7107 islands in the Philippines and only about 2000 have regular inhabitants.

If you are in the Visayas or south then you avoid the typhoon belt so pretty much have warm, dry weather, cheap prices (rent a bungalow for $100/month or less and have basic internet via something like smartbro or globe-tattoo.

Living is cheap if you go local.

IF you want something with a bit more of the western conveniences then places like Tagbilaran (Bohol province) are OK and it is easy enough to get up-island to places like Talibon. Lots of local flavor, none of the tourist trappings and most of the conveniences.

Islands like Camigiun or Siquijor are a nice place to spend a month or so each.

I love the Phils but well, I can't eat most Phil food. That said, it depends on your budget but I would give Alona Beach in Bohol a pass, it was one of my most disappointing travel experiences. Not much to do, no sunset on the beach and overpriced accommodation.

If you need reliable Internet, well, the Phils is one of the worst countries for that. I have friends in Boracay so I'd stay there, but well, it's rainy season and as much as I love that island, it ain't much fun when it's pouring and wet.

Vietnam is a good destination, esp. for Internet, and really cheap. Nha Trang is a good place though it's going down due to speculation and overdevelopment.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't suggested Alona Beach in over 5 years.... There are other places in Bohol province and in Cebu and Tagbilaran the internet isn't so bad (7mbps is acceptable for most people).

The other islands, away from the touristy places are decent and affordable to spend some time and chill while working on other pursuits.

If you get south of the typhoon belt there isn't much rain either. Perhaps just an afternoon shower to clear things up and cool things off a bit.

Vietnam is OK and western Thailand is nice if beaches are not important.

There are lots of affordable places to kick back in SE Asia once you get away from the tourist spots.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: