Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canadian election on October 19th
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will you vote for?
Conservative Party
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
Liberal Party
36%
 36%  [ 4 ]
NDP
27%
 27%  [ 3 ]
Green Party
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Bloc Québécois
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 11

mithridates

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Canadian election on October 19th Reply with quote

Let's have our own vote.
schwa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of what he's done to Canada's image abroad & its flimsy dollar, Harper has to go. I like a lot of what the NDP & Greens stand for but their governance would be a fiasco. I'd vote Liberal. Trudeau has the smarts & heritage to be a positive change.
Fallacy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second schwa. Out with Harper, and in with Trudeau, though the rebel in me wants to see what the Bloc Q could do if given a chance. A viable Anarchy Party would be interesting.
mithridates

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if Trudeau would end up being popular outside of Canada as well. I've yet to meet anyone who knows the name of a Canadian PM (only US presidents, sometimes the Japanese PM) but sometimes you get a leader who manages to transcend that.

By the way, check out what France has done for overseas residents instead of just taking away the vote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constituencies_for_French_residents_overseas

Canada should look into this too.
On the other hand

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wonder if Trudeau would end up being popular outside of Canada as well. I've yet to meet anyone who knows the name of a Canadian PM (only US presidents, sometimes the Japanese PM) but sometimes you get a leader who manages to transcend that.

In fourteen years in Korea, I have only once had a Korean mention a Canadian PM to me without being prompted(and even the prompted ones were Koreans who had lived in Canada). Upon hearing that I was from Canada, the guy mentioned once seeing that photo of Margaret Trudeau sitting with the Rolling Stones, her panty-less crotch visible underneath her dress.

Presumably, this is not the type of international recognition that Justin has in mind when he speaks of Canada's former glory on the world stage.
littlelisa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You forgot the option "I can't vote because of Harper". Please vote him out if you can vote.
jvalmer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

littlelisa wrote:
You forgot the option "I can't vote because of Harper". Please vote him out if you can vote.

If you're from an Alberta riding outside of Edmonton/Calgary, there really is no point in voting. Conservative/Reform candidates routinely take up like 75%+ of the votes. Damn you... you cons...
Ginormousaurus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HARPER!

Yes, I'm from Alberta. Very Happy
catman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never expected a Liberal majority.
jvalmer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank god. And I'm a born and bred Albertan. Unfortunately, rural Alberta is still staunchly con.
schwa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one am pleased with the outcome. I'm as skeptical as the next guy about politicians in general but Canada needed a new face & an altered direction.
Plain Meaning

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvalmer wrote:
littlelisa wrote:

If you're from an Alberta riding outside of Edmonton/Calgary, there really is no point in voting. Conservative/Reform candidates routinely take up like 75%+ of the votes. Damn you... you cons...

Liberals sweep Canada's elections

Quote:
The Liberals control more seats in Quebec than they've had in a generation, dealing a crushing blow to the formerly ascendant left-leaning New Democratic Party.

They won at least one race in the Conservative fortress of Calgary, hometown of Prime Minister Stephen Harper, for the first time since 1968.

Who is Justin Trudeau?

Go to the link for the picture.

Quote:
When Justin Trudeau was just four months old, then-US President Richard Nixon predicted the infant would one day follow in his father's footsteps.

At a gala dinner during a state visit to Ottawa in 1972, Mr Nixon addressed his Canadian counterpart: "Tonight we'll dispense with the formalities. I'd like to toast the future prime minister of Canada: to Justin Pierre Trudeau."

Canada's election results mapped by district

Last edited by Plain Meaning on Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Fallacy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good bye, chicken pie. Bonjour, la poutine!
jvalmer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plain Meaning wrote:
jvalmer wrote:
littlelisa wrote:

Liberals sweep Canada's elections

What are you trying to say? Look at the details of rural ridings in Alberta. The cons have a pretty solid base in rural Alberta. Those are riding outside of Calgary, and Edmonton.

The ridings surrounding Calgary, which contain large suburban towns of Calgary.

Example:
Foothills
cons - 46,107
libs - 8,149
ndp - 3,918
others - 2,753
46,107 / 60,927 = 75.7% for cons

Banff-Ardrie
cons - 40,617
libs - 16,517
ndp - 3,951
others - 2,383
40,107 / 63,468 = 63.2% for cons

Bow River
cons - 38,631
libs - 6,840
ndp - 2,619
others - 1,825
38,631 / 49,915 = 77.4% for cons

Living in these ridings, with the first-past-the-post system, it's virtually pointless voting unless you're a conservative supporter. Most of the rest of rural Alberta is pretty much similar.

On top of that the cons made it so that in this election parties no longer get federal funding based on the number of the popular vote they get.

However, living inside Calgary, or Edmonton, the Liberals, and the NDP do have a fighting chance in a lot of the ridings.
yodanole

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject: OK, yeah, I'm an American Reply with quote

Perhaps I'm not a real astute observer, but ( in the absence of a maple leaf tattoo on the forehead ), I don't usually just look at or listen to someone and say; "Ah, Canadian, eh?". It comes up when we get around to the "Where are you from?" thing. ( Disclaimer: I'm from the South. As far as I'm concerned, you might as well all be Midwesterners ). However ... I'm often told by Canadians that "We're not at all like Americans." ... Meh ... Eat food, drink beverages, know (more or less ) the same TV, movie, music idols, speak some form of English, ( either as a 1st or 2nd language ), whine about Korea ... Similar enough in the big picture. That said ...

What I am here to ask is "What are the defining issues in the dichotomy between liberal and conservative in Canadian domestic politics?" ( Key word: domestic ). Condensed, if you might be so kind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: