Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No Pension/medical, odds of back payments?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Overture1928

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:24 am    Post subject: No Pension/medical, odds of back payments? Reply with quote

I have heard if you take a job at 3.3% tax that does not include pension/medical you are expected to register yourself in NHIS/NPS and pay the contributions yourself, otherwise you could be subjected to back payments down the road. My question is how likely is it to get caught and have to pay the back payments. How do people usually get found out? Also, are the back payments usually only the medical portions?
Lazio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: No Pension/medical, odds of back payments? Reply with quote

Overture1928 wrote:
I have heard if you take a job at 3.3% tax that does not include pension/medical you are expected to register yourself in NHIS/NPS and pay the contributions yourself, otherwise you could be subjected to back payments down the road. My question is how likely is it to get caught and have to pay the back payments. How do people usually get found out? Also, are the back payments usually only the medical portions?

I believe it's the insurance only and not the pension.
You are not going to get "caught". If you ever want to have insurance again in the future, you will pay for the missing months/years. If you go without insurance for the rest of your stay in Korea, you don't need to pay. Korean citizens must pay into NHIS regardless of their employment status. For foreign citizens it is not mandatory.
Chia Pet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? So if you've been in Korea many years and have worked for employers who didn't provide health insurance, and you want to get health insurance for yourself at some point, you have to pay back payments for the years you weren't covered? I never heard that before.

Could some others please comment on this?
Overture1928

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chia Pet wrote:
What? So if you've been in Korea many years and have worked for employers who didn't provide health insurance, and you want to get health insurance for yourself at some point, you have to pay back payments for the years you weren't covered? I never heard that before.

Could some others please comment on this?

From the stories I have read in the past on this forum, yes. If your company doesn't enroll you, you are expected to enroll yourself.
Fallacy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Paying the Insurance Contribution is the duty of the employer and the householder. If the insured fails to pay contributions, the NHIS may perform compulsory collection from the insured according to the law.
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: No Pension/medical, odds of back payments? Reply with quote

Lazio wrote:
Overture1928 wrote:

You are not going to get "caught". If you ever want to have insurance again in the future, you will pay for the missing months/years. If you go without insurance for the rest of your stay in Korea, you don't need to pay. Korean citizens must pay into NHIS regardless of their employment status. For foreign citizens it is not mandatory.

Your last sentence is untrue

Quote:
South Korea has a National Health Insurance (NHI) system, which is compulsory and required by Korean law. Everyone resident in the country is eligible regardless of nationality or profession. The National Health Insurance Corporation (NHIC) is the only public insurance institution operated by the Ministry of Health and Welfare in Korea.

The system is funded by compulsory contributions from all residents and government subsidies. Payment is made by an individual's employer unless they are self-employed, in which case they pay it themselves. Foreigners living in South Korea who are registered with the NHIC receive the same medical benefits and services as Korean nationals...

http://southkorea.angloinfo.com/healthcare/health-system/health-insurance/

Yes hakwon employers like to make this claim that it is not compulsory but that is nonsense. There ARE a few exemptions but in the majority of cases they do not apply.
Lazio

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: No Pension/medical, odds of back payments? Reply with quote

TheUrbanMyth wrote:
Lazio wrote:
Overture1928 wrote:

Quote:
South Korea has a National Health Insurance (NHI) system, which is compulsory and required by Korean law. Everyone resident in the country is eligible regardless of nationality or profession. The National Health Insurance Corporation (NHIC) is the only public insurance institution operated by the Ministry of Health and Welfare in Korea.

The system is funded by compulsory contributions from all residents and government subsidies. Payment is made by an individual's employer unless they are self-employed, in which case they pay it themselves. Foreigners living in South Korea who are registered with the NHIC receive the same medical benefits and services as Korean nationals...

Yes hakwon employers like to make this claim that it is not compulsory but that is nonsense. There ARE a few exemptions but in the majority of cases they do not apply.

The wording from the article could be interpreted either way. Especially the self-employed part. There is "can" and "able to" but no "must" or "should".
Koreans move from employee insurance to self-employed automatically should their employment stop, without having to report it to the NHIS. It doesn't work the same way for foreigners. If they don't "volunteer" for paying by themselves, they will go under the radar. I doubt that the NHI would cross check the immigration records whether said person left the country or not. If you are here for a few years, you could technically go by without insurance. The worst thing that can happen is the back payments.
I'm in no way trying to justify not having insurance though. I think one would be a fool not to have it. It's cheap and can save you from a lot of trouble.
peachKitten713

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I am wondering about this.
If you work at a school and accept that they will not provide pension, but get it at your next job, would you be required to backpay the pension from the last contract?
Chia Pet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was asking about health insurance, not pension, since someone said you'd have to make back payments for all the time you didn't have health insurance. I find that a little hard to believe.

As for pension, no, you do not have to make back payments if you want to enroll yourself or your employer wants to enroll you.
FastForward

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chia Pet wrote:
I was asking about health insurance, not pension, since someone said you'd have to make back payments for all the time you didn't have health insurance. I find that a little hard to believe.

As for pension, no, you do not have to make back payments if you want to enroll yourself or your employer wants to enroll you.

You are required to have The National health insurance and pension. If caught you are required to back pay for the time you have been here.

If you have been with out health insurance for a long time, it's best to leave the country and come back in. This will restart your date, but you have to wait a few months before you can get the health insurance.
tob55

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything everyone already said, plus I just wrote a lengthy comment about the health insurance in this thread: http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=236377

Check it out, and by all means, don't take what the Korean Hagwon owners are telling you. 95%+ of them haven't even bothered to read the rules and regulations about the places they run. They are commonly interested in one thing, money. To be honest, it takes a lot of time and hard work if you are going to run your business "THE RIGHT WAY." My wife owns and operates an academy, and I can tell you if I knew back then what we know today about all the paperwork and time that is required just to make sure we don't get into trouble with the government, we probably would have made a different choice. Back in the day when hagwons were thriving businesses, and the people who started their business back in the day will know who I am talking about, things were a lot different than they are in today's market. I have my Korean dual citizenship, and we are not raking in the cash. We normally have enough to pay our employees and cover our living expenses, but it is hard to work with transient populations of parents who want you to perform miracles with their children, and now have caught on to the fact that if you don't do it at the cost they expect you to do it, they will simply take the child out of the place and go down to the next block to register them in a different place. I could go on about it, but this thread is about the health and taxes issues. Cheers Cool
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: No Pension/medical, odds of back payments? Reply with quote

Lazio wrote:
TheUrbanMyth wrote:
Lazio wrote:
Overture1928 wrote:

Quote:

The wording from the article could be interpreted either way. Especially the self-employed part. There is "can" and "able to" but no "must" or "should"...

This is the particular sentence from the article you should focus on

Quote:
The system is funded by compulsory contributions from all residents and government subsidies

In the article's words it is compulsory meaning you "must". Sure there are a few exemptions as noted in the article and a few people can slip under the radar...but for the vast majority it is a "must".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: