Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

University Hiring Season
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PRagic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, give your impression of exactly which universities about which you'd care to comment. But you can't generalize those comments to include all universities, particularly when you can't be sure to whom exactly you're addressing your comments. Remember: different jobs for different people at different times for different reasons.

Everybody should go into every job search with their eyes wide open, knowing as much as possible about any given market and potential employer. I would assert, however, that contacting present and, if possible, former instructors would provide more targeted insight than a general 'all university jobs suck' permanent-rant on a message board.

Just face it. Yes, there are some jobs out there with comparatively less than stellar pay and conditions, and, yes, some of the conditions and pay at some bigger name schools (not all) have certainly deteriorated, but there are still plenty of university instructors who are satisfied with their positions. Now, show me someone who is supremely satisfied with every aspect of their job in ANY profession. Doesn't exist.
tophatcat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PRagic wrote:
Sure, give your impression of exactly which universities about which you'd care to comment. But you can't generalize those comments to include all universities, particularly when you can't be sure to whom exactly you're addressing your comments. Remember: different jobs for different people at different times for different reasons.

Everybody should go into every job search with their eyes wide open, knowing as much as possible about any given market and potential employer. I would assert, however, that contacting present and, if possible, former instructors would provide more targeted insight than a general 'all university jobs suck' permanent-rant on a message board.

Just face it. Yes, there are some jobs out there with comparatively less than stellar pay and conditions, and, yes, some of the conditions and pay at some bigger name schools (not all) have certainly deteriorated, but there are still plenty of university instructors who are satisfied with their positions. Now, show me someone who is supremely satisfied with every aspect of their job in ANY profession. Doesn't exist.

Well said. Accurate and balanced.

````````````````````````````
tophatcat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GENO123

Rolling Eyes

We get it. You are out for revenge, not to inform.
PRagic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all fairness, I think it's a mix of both for him. Odds are he was screwed over by one of the bigger name schools, or at the very least came to feel extremely diminished or marginalized there.

The need to share this negative, wounding experience as a potential eye-opener to would be u instructors then somehow morphed into a need to paint all u jobs in a negative light.

Anyone looking for info on what it's like to really work at a K university will take his information as cautionary, but with a healthy grain of salt, and balance it with other opinions, especially from those based at a potential employer.
tophatcat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PRagic wrote:
In all fairness, I think it's a mix of both for him. Odds are he was screwed over by one of the bigger name schools, or at the very least came to feel extremely diminished or marginalized there.

The need to share this negative, wounding experience as a potential eye-opener to would be u instructors then somehow morphed into a need to paint all u jobs in a negative light.

Anyone looking for info on what it's like to really work at a K university will take his information as cautionary, but with a healthy grain of salt, and balance it with other opinions, especially from those based at a potential employer.

It very well could be the case.

On the other hand, he may very well be one of those teachers that no school wants. The person that they kept hoping would do a midnight run. The person they kept hoping they had left at the airport. I've met one of these types before. That 1 teacher among 14 that doesn't fit in. The teacher who you hope you don't have to cover a class for. The teacher that changes the atmosphere when he walks into the room. The teacher that always complains. The negative Norman teacher. These types always want to do the least amount possible. They usually push work off on others or others have to cover the slack for them.

If he is like this on this board, you can bet he did it at the uni.
GENO123

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tophatcat wrote:
GENO123

Rolling Eyes

We get it. You are out for revenge, not to inform.

informing is revenge because the schools are they way they are.

One does not preclude the other.

Last edited by GENO123 on Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
GENO123

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tophatcat wrote:
PRagic wrote:

It very well could be the case.

On the other hand, he may very well be one of those teachers that no school wants. The person that they kept hoping would do a midnight run. The person they kept hoping they had left at the airport. I've met one of these types before. That 1 teacher among 14 that doesn't fit in. The teacher who you hope you don't have to cover a class for. The teacher that changes the atmosphere when he walks into the room. The teacher that always complains. The negative Norman teacher. These types always want to do the least amount possible. They usually push work off on others or others have to cover the slack for them.

Anyone could be anyone. The conditions and Seoul National and Hong Ik are very public. What goes on that those schools goes on at just about all of the top schools. Are you saying they are exceptions?

Quote:

Typical Korean Mcversity job at a high ranking school.

Full-time Faculty, XXXXXX University, Seoul, Korea
Seoul, South Korea
Job Description
EFL Professors Wanted
XXXXXXXX University at Seoul, Korea is seeking several qualified EFL professors (Non-tenure track) for the term of March 1, 2014- February 31, 2016

Qualifications
1. MA and/or above in TESOL, ESL/EFL Education, English Language, Linguistics, Primary or Secondary Education, Intercultural Communication and /or related fields.
2. Applicants should satisfy the specified qualification criteria stated in the Employment Regulations for Private Schools Law.
3. Bilingual teachers are welcome to apply. Please note that they will be requested to assist with additional translation / interpretation work alongside teaching.

Salary and Benefits
1. Annual starting salary will be approximately 38,500,000won[/b(based on qualifications. (may vary depending on previous experience)
2. The contract is viable for 2 years and renewable for another contract term on good standing.
3. Entitled to 8 weeks (4 weeks in summer and 4 weeks in winter) of paid vacation per year
4. Private school pension and medical insurance
5. Basic furnished accommodation supplied by the Institute of XXXXXX with minimum rental fees

Responsibilities
1. 12 hours per week teaching load with overtime pay for additional hours (30,000 won per hour)
2. Teach non-credit programs and special language courses at the Institute of XXXXXX
3. 3 office hours per week
4. Participation in all school activities (faculty meetings, conferences, seminars, opening ceremonies and graduation, etc.)

How to Apply
1. Apply by email until December 6th (Friday),

Required Documents
Applicants successfully passing the first round of document review should submit the followings for further interview:
1. Cover letter
2. Curriculum vitae with current contact information and official statements of current employment and experience
3. One copy each of undergraduate and graduate diplomas
4. One copy of each undergraduate and graduate transcript sealed
5. One copy of passport
6. A list of three references, one of which must be from your current employer
with contact numbers (must be signed, dated, and properly sealed.)
7. Criminal record check
8. Medical check-up record
9. Three recent passport size photos

All documentation should be received by December 13th (Fri) at the latest (Submission to different departments on campus is NOT possible).

Standards and Procedures
a. First Step: Determining qualifications of applicants and the field of study

b. Second Step: Presentation and Interview for the applicants who are selected after the first step (TBA later) conducted by

Inquiries should be directed to:
EFL Coordinator

Seoul, Korea

They say they pay 38.5 M but you have to pay pension and housing . In the end your take home is 2.5 M

ONE CAN NOT SUPPORT a family or pay back loans on such a salary. And the school about is one of the better paying schools. ( It is also a difficult place to work. and a place where you will get in trouble if you get caught doing privates. ) Over time may or may not be available.

Take home is about 2.5 after using hogwon standard for measuring . Remember total work is far far more than just what is known as " contact hours"

Verdict:
NOT A GOOD JOB.

TopHateCat wrote:
Quote:

Anyone who speaks ill of a university is a bad teacher and a trouble maker. Big famous Korean universities agree.

As I said universities are responsible for the conditions they offer . I know you would like to stop this discussion.

Those like TopHateCat are the type who report on other teachers to get ahead in their jobs.

Anyway who is Top Hate Cat anyway.

Anyone who speaks ill of a University isn't university material . I think he means not a good teacher.

Top Hate Cat Wrote:

Quote:
Yep. Some people need putting in their place. Some people need to be canned from the job. If you aren't university material,

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?p=2999501&highlight=#2999501

In Response to : If your school doesn't pay enough: And that they try to negate visas look at how he stands with the school.

TophateCat Wrote :
Quote:
the university salary doesn't cover your student loans, credit card debts, spouse and children, and spending habits, move along. Find a higher paying job. Go back home and get on the dole. It's not the universities responsibility to cover the bad decisions and lack of responsibility you made in life.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?p=2999625&highlight=#2999625

In response to the question How can you support ones family or pay back loans on 3.5M (2.7m/2.8m)

TOP HATE Cat Wrote:

Quote:
They will pay like everyone else in Korea pays. People get sick. It happens all the time in England, Canada, the US, and Korea. There's nothing exceptional about the situation here.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?p=2999491&highlight=#2999491

In that the take home from 3.5 isn't enough to support a family or pay back loans
AND that Korean Universities try to negate F Visas . That Korean Universities try to negate F Visas is a key point here.

Top Hate Cat Wrote:

Quote:
Lots of families in Korea are living on 3.5 a month. I know Korean families that live on this.
Stop frivolously spending you money on skateboards and hanging out in the park with your buddies. Grow up, bro Wink

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?p=2999627&highlight=#2999627

Top Hate Cat. What a classy guy.

Last edited by GENO123 on Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
PRagic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol...it offers subsidized housing, and ANY job will have deductions for health care and pension. Again, so what? Even hagwon salaries are subject to health and pension deductions. I fail to see your point.

This might be a fantastic job for someone, so patently dismissing it as 'not good' is, I'm sorry to say, laughable.

In the end, the take home pay will be higher than the take home pay for a hagwon job, and for a capable instructur, entail fewer actual hours with substantially more vacation time (even at 4 weeks per break as opposed to the standard 8+ weeks).

How many families with kids out there these days actually try to make it on one salary? So, again, what's your point? Imagine a DINK cpuple, both with this type of job. Not bad. You could live off of one income and virtually bank the other. Imagine a single person with this job. Decent salary and an annual vacation to a beach or home while your salary is being deposited. Again, not bad. And I'm not even figuring in any extra made off of overtime, if that option is available and is pursued.

You hype on about HongIk and SNU. Old news. I haven't heard anyone railing salary or conditions at Korea U., Yonsei, U., Konkuk U., Ewha, or myriad other decent small university and college jobs in and outside of Seoul. Why, because people with little ill to say and spread have no reason to come on the board. There have been, however, anonymous posters who have flat out said that their happy with their lot.

Again, people have to judge jobs against their own personal criteria. Optimistically, professionals should go for the best jobs they can get given their degrees, certs, level of experience, and capabilities. The fact is, though, that not everyone is qualified to work at the better jobs, or they don't have the temperment and social skills.

We've all met teachers like the one tophatcat described. They bounce from school to school to school hoping that they can just stay employed that one more year before the word finally gets out and they run out of viable options, even options at the bottom of the barrel.

There are reasons there are crap jobs out there: some people take them to get their foot in the u teaching door; some just want a paycheck and the vacation time to do some travel before heading home; some don't have the requisite degrees or experience to qualify for anything better; and some have worn out their welcome on the circuit and have nowhere else to go; finally, while it may be hard to believe, some people are fatalists and settle - they probably could get something better, but they don't have the confidence to make a move or they think their job is the best they deserve. I've met all these over the 20+ years I've been here.

But I've also met the real professionals who have worked to get where they are. They gravitate to the best positions out there for them (again, different strokes for different folks), and they keep them.
PRagic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I never infered that you were a 'bad teacher', I simply surmised that you had more than likely had a very bad experience at a bigger name university, or that you felt somehow slighted or marginalized.

Maybe they asked you to do things not specifically in your contract (quite typical in Korea), maybe you felt that you didn't get the respect you deserved or that employees looked down on you. Maybe you thought you should have just been teaching low prep conversation classes, but then they asked you to develop and or teach other classes that entail a bit more work. We don't know because you have not been forthcoming about your motivation for painting all u jobs in such a negative light despite evidence and testamony to the contrary.

I've always been very open about my ESL teaching experience. Don't know why you're so cloke and dagger.
GENO123

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="PRagic"]
Quote:
Lol...it offers subsidized housing, and ANY job will have deductions for health care and pension. Again, so what? Even hagwon salaries are subject to health and pension deductions. I fail to see your point.

This might be a fantastic job for someone, so patently dismissing it as 'not good' is, I'm sorry to say, laughable.

In the end, the take home pay will be higher than the take home pay for a hagwon job, and for a capable instructur, entail fewer actual hours with substantially more vacation time (even at 4 weeks per break as opposed to the standard 8+ weeks).

How many families with kids out there these days actually try to make it on one salary? So, again, what's your point? Imagine a DINK cpuple, both with this type of job. Not bad. You could live off of one income and virtually bank the other. Imagine a single person with this job. Decent salary and an annual vacation to a beach or home while your salary is being deposited. Again, not bad. And I'm not even figuring in any extra made off of overtime, if that option is available and is pursued.

It is what it is. But a good job at least in my book is one that allows you to support a family . Or at least doesn't prevent you form doing so. So it is a job for DNKs Not that great of a job.

Quote:
You hype on about HongIk and SNU. Old news. I haven't heard anyone railing salary or conditions at Korea U., Yonsei, U., Konkuk U., Ewha, or myriad other decent small university and college jobs in and outside of Seoul. Why, because people with little ill to say and spread have no reason to come on the board. There have been, however, anonymous posters who have flat out said that their happy with their lot.

subsidized housing means you pay 200 a month plus utilities for a one room

wWhat goes on at Hong Ik and SNU goes most of the other schools. More often than not it is all the same

The small schools are part time work for part time pay. The big famous schools are like living in a police state.

Quote:
Again, people have to judge jobs against their own personal criteria. Optimistically, professionals should go for the best jobs they can get given their degrees, certs, level of experience, and capabilities. The fact is, though, that not everyone is qualified to work at the better jobs, or they don't have the temperment and social skills.

I don't think "the better jobs" are better jobs since they treat teachers worse than servants.

Quote:
We've all met teachers like the one tophatcat described. They bounce from school to school to school hoping that they can just stay employed that one more year before the word finally gets out and they run out of viable options, even options at the bottom of the barrel.

Talking about the conditions of a university has zero to do with whether someone is or is not a good teacher or even a good co worker.

Quote:
There are reasons there are crap jobs out there: some people take them to get their foot in the u teaching door; some just want a paycheck and the vacation time to do some travel before heading home; some don't have the requisite degrees or experience to qualify for anything better; and some have worn out their welcome on the circuit and have nowhere else to go; finally, while it may be hard to believe, some people are fatalists and settle - they probably could get something better, but they don't have the confidence to make a move or they think their job is the best they deserve. I've met all these over the 20+ years I've been here.

Again there is a serious problem with university jobs in Korea. Either low pay or bad treatment (or both.)

Quote:
But I've also met the real professionals who have worked to get where they are. They gravitate to the best positions out there for them (again, different strokes for different folks), and they keep them.

I don't know how to answer expect the most qualified person I have met out there in this line of work (A PHD from a real school who published religiously
kept on getting asked to leave because he asked for conditions that matched or exceeded those of the Korean professors. Since he was better than them I could understand his point. But that has really nothing to do with what we are talking about

You can get part time work for part time money or get treated like a servant.
I guess you can avoid this if you have a PHD. But at the MA level those are the choices one has .

Last edited by GENO123 on Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
GENO123

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PRagic wrote:
And I never infered that you were a 'bad teacher', I simply surmised that you had more than likely had a very bad experience at a bigger name university, or that you felt somehow slighted or marginalized.

Maybe they asked you to do things not specifically in your contract (quite typical in Korea), maybe you felt that you didn't get the respect you deserved or that employees looked down on you. Maybe you thought you should have just been teaching low prep conversation classes, but then they asked you to develop and or teach other classes that entail a bit more work. We don't know because you have not been forthcoming about your motivation for painting all u jobs in such a negative light despite evidence and testamony to the contrary.

I've always been very open about my ESL teaching experience. Don't know why you're so cloke and dagger.

You have a PHD you get treated better and you have more security. I think the people on this board are not above reporting someone who spoke ill of a university. Why should I assume any risk for them.
PRagic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF your friend with a Ph.D. is in a TT position and has different pay or conditions compared to his/her Korean colleagues, then they have a legitimate beef. IF, however, they have a Ph.D. but are in a contract, visiting ESL instructor slot, then it's apples and oranges, I'm afraid. You simply cannot be in a visiting (contract) prof position, especially if it's an English teaching position, and then ask to have the same course load, pay, and opportunities afforded TT faculty. That won't fly anywhere in the world, and here is no different.

In NO instance, and I know a LOT of TT international faculty at several universities across an array of diciplines (including education), do pay and conditions differ for international and Korean faculty. In fact, most of the international faculty I know of can concentrate more on their research because they don't get bogged down with a lot of the admin work, mostly because that necessarily is done in Korean.

A job is a job is a job. Why does a 'good job' have to mean you can support a family? Do you think you can support a family on a single income as a teacher in Korea? Some do, I know, but it can't be easy. Fact is, for example, K university ESL teaching jobs pay at or above average Korean incomes in education (2,342,857 KRW/month: Source: http://www.salaryexplorer.com/salary-survey.php?loc=114&loctype=1). You'll notice that the average for all salaries is a lot higher (over 5 million), but that figures in some whales. If you want to try and raise a family on that income, that's on you. But, as I said, how many married couples with kids try to make it on one income here (or elsewhere, for that matter)?

Subsidized housing is only 200 a month at that job you posted? Wow, most would JUMP on that. And you have a problem with that? I give up!

Smaller colleges and universities, at least the ones where I know people, offer full time work for full time pay with regularly paid leave during winters and summers. Again, don't know what you're talking about.

How you define 'treat teachers worse than servants'? Seriously. Because that seems to be stuck in your craw. Might just be something personal. And, again, show me anyone in any career who is 100% satisfied with every aspect of their position.

My brothers are VPs at big companies. Along the way, they've been dissatisfied with their actual duties, their pay, their bonuses (constant restructuring), their bosses, and even now at their levels they still work with a-holes and people they can't stand, and they still have bones to pick with their companies. It's called a JOB, and none of them are perfect. So are there problems with many U jobs in Korea? Sure. Other jobs and careers. Sure. We get it. Get over it. Work at a university or don't. Get better jobs, whether in or out of education, or don't.

I said that a person having zero social skills who is a subpar teacher, a person willing to take just about any job to stay employed, is ONE reason that these 'bad jobs' continue to exist. That's it. Supply and demand. Simple enough.
PRagic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have a Ph.D., but I don't get treated any better than anyone else where I work, and I don't have security unless I work hard enough and publish enough to merit keeping my job, again, just like everyone else. I'll have more security if and when I get tenure, sure, but that's the TT train.

If you want that level playing field, then by all means spend the time and deal with the opportunity costs associated with getting the doctorate, then get published, then roll the dice and try to get a TT job in a very slim job market.
GENO123

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A job is a job is a job. Why does a 'good job' have to mean you can support a family? Do you think you can support a family on a single income as a teacher in Korea? Some do, I know, but it can't be easy. Fact is, for example, K university ESL teaching jobs pay at or above average Korean incomes in education (2,342,857 KRW/month: Source: http://www.salaryexplorer.com/salary-survey.php?loc=114&loctype=1). You'll notice that the average for all salaries is a lot higher (over 5 million), but that figures in some whales. If you want to try and raise a family on that income, that's on you. But, as I said, how many married couples with kids try to make it on one income here (or elsewhere, for that matter)

F visa suppression. It is hard to get caught but if you do get caught you will get warned and maybe iced .

Any job that that doesn't pay you enough AND prevents you from trying to make up the difference just isn't a good job.

Anyway a job that is an okay job (IF you have two incomes ) or no one to support DOES not equal a good job.

A good job doesn't require any "IFs"

Also it is a little unfair to compare Korean teachers to foreign teachers. Korea teachers have security and regular promotions and some other perks as well .
PRagic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Granted. So taking any given job is a personal choice. Sometimes people have limited choices, dictated by circumstance or what have you, and sometimes it's just a choice. Some schools are strict about working outside, some aren't. Some are strict only the E-class visas, some on all visa classes. Some people worry about getting busted, and some pile on the work and the devil may care.

Even great jobs have a lot of 'ifs'. My sister-in-law is (soon to be was) an exec with a large, world recognized survey and ratings agency. One day she got a call and they told her not to come in to work anymore. Oh, and not to tell anyone else at work or she'd violate a clause in her contract. Positions were being consoldated. She did everything right. Traveled a lot for business? Check. Slammed her quotas? Check. Got the right promotions? Check. Grew the portfolio and customer base? Check. And now this. They'll give her a couple of months to try and find something internally, but if there's nothing around, she'll have to move on. She didn't see the big 'if' coming. Nobody did.

You think TT jobs don't have 'ifs'? Kidding, right? I've seen a good handful of TT profs let go over the past few years for not addressing the 'ifs'. Just the way it is. And, by the way, TT profs not supposed to work outside the university unless they get permission first. Get caught, get reprimanded. Get reprimanded and possibly get passed over for promotion and/or tenure. In fact, at many schools, if you're a lower level assistant prof, you simply can't work outside the university. Period.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 15 of 16

Jump to: