Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why are so many people so rude and sarcastic on this forum?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fallacy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject: RE: Please read the threads Reply with quote

Precisely. See? That is the point trying to be made in a variety of post employing different methods: read the past threads. Read! Whatever happened to reading?! Also known as "lurking," where prior to posting, time is invested in a passive discovery process which inevitably results in becoming informed. Step 1: read extensively. Step 2: post with reference to that acquired knowledge.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^Be careful. You're skirting dangerously close to being called rude and sarcastic yourself with on-point, clear, and effective advice.
Fallacy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: This is a false analogy Reply with quote

wonkavite62 wrote:
It's not as if OP's were coming up to them in Starbucks and constantly asking the same question.
False analogy. This is a forum for poster interactions, not a marketplace for retailer transactions. In SBUX, the employee behind the register taking orders has received customer-service training; the customer will pay for services rendered. None of that happens here: no training; no money. Just volunteers. Back to SBUX: customer walks in, does not look around, does not look at the menu, then asks for suggestions. Employee suppresses the urge to respond in kind, and instead points to the menu, and gives a few random ideas for consideration to facilitate an order. Now, here at DAVE: poster does not lurk, does not read through old threads, then asks for suggestions. Volunteer does not suppress the urge to respond in kind, and instead points to the menu, and gives a few absurd ideas for consideration to facilitate discussion. Perhaps a better analogy is a library. Have a look around, conduct a genuine database search, before asking the librarian whether they know anything about books. Better yet, since in this forum there is NO librarian, do all of that before asking a random stranger standing among the stacks to volunteer information. Rephrased: "It is as if OP's were coming up to other users of the library and constantly asking the same question." Read the FAQ's, read the threads, read read read, lurk, watch, and learn.
Fallacy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject: RE: Epiphany Reply with quote

CentralCali wrote:
^Be careful. You're skirting dangerously close to being called rude and sarcastic yourself with on-point, clear, and effective advice.
Epiphany! Thanks to posters like CentralCali taking the time to hold hands and lead the way, I get it now. On-point, clear, and effective advice is rude, and that mixed with spoonfuls of sugared humor plus irony to make the bitter more sweet is sarcasm. Look what was learned here today, folks. Enlightenment. Entertainment. Enjoyment. All around. Yeah, I have been called worse. Sticks and stones, etc. Frankly, the rude and sarcastic bit is like an award to me: shows that posters are reading and paying attention, getting reactive, and jumping into the fray. We need more of that in this sleepy backwater saloon.

Last edited by Fallacy on Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
CentralCali

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your analogy about the library; however, it's still missing something. This forum does have "sticky" threads, threads which are ostensibly meant to provide answers to the most common queries. It's like the table near the library entrance where the librarian puts the most used or most requested books. Of course, to avail oneself of those sticky threads would require more than a cursory look at just one sub-forum here.
Fallacy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject: RE: Here goes nothing! Reply with quote

Um, like, what's a sticky? Can you explain that better? I don't know anything. Anyway, let's talk about me more, and my problems, me me me me. Me me me, me? Me me. Okay? Thanks! One time, I posted a big sign on an easel at waist up to eye level directly in front of an elevator so that people exiting would literally have no choice but to see the large arrow pointing them in the right direction, and would be forced to physically step around the bold-lettered description giving them answer to their inevitable question: "Where do I go?" Then, I stood by far enough away not to be seen but be able to observe human behavior, and waited. You know what comes next, of course. I then watched, as time after time, the doors of the elevator would open, a small group of people expected for the event occurring down the hallway and to the left, would look directly through the sign, ignore it, step around it gingerly, and wander to the right, and go bother unrelated people in random offices with questions about "Can you help me? Where is this thing?" Maybe 9 out of 10 people did that, and only the remaining 1 stopped, looked, read, and followed the instructions. Sheep people need shepherd people, and that is why I have job security.
drcrazy

Location: Pusan. Yes, that's right. Pusan NOT Busan. I ain't never been to no place called Busan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GENO123 wrote:
탱큐

No. I have had time to think about this and now I am crushed . How dare you point out my mistake. Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil That was so RUDE

Why are so many people so rude and sarcastic on this forum?

Crying or Very sad

아임 고잉 투 텔 마이 마미!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fox

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cosmic Hum wrote:

But as this corner of the Web continues to grow smaller by the day, it does give pause to curious minds as to the attitudes of those who still frequent here, and just how much, if any, they are contributing to this diminishing netizenship.

They probably contribute somewhat, but at the same time, if the choice is between a smaller group of people expressing themselves honestly and openly, and a larger pool of participants demanding a "safe space," I for one would be comfortable enough with the former. Sure, maybe we're slowly drifting towards the conversation forum equivalent of universal heat death, but implied within that is a certain equilibrium; an adequate expression of all the ideas that need be expressed in this context. Perhaps catering the emotional insecurities of "bobibobbobbob" and her ilk could keep things rolling a little longer, but would anything of real value would be produced in the bargain? We've entered the era of "trigger warning education," and I am not exactly dying to hear the thoughts of young people trained to subordinate truth to emotion.
The Cosmic Hum

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
The Cosmic Hum wrote:

But as this corner of the Web continues to grow smaller by the day, it does give pause to curious minds as to the attitudes of those who still frequent here, and just how much, if any, they are contributing to this diminishing netizenship.

They probably contribute somewhat, but at the same time, if the choice is between a smaller group of people expressing themselves honestly and openly, and a larger pool of participants demanding a "safe space," I for one would be comfortable enough with the former. Sure, maybe we're slowly drifting towards the conversation forum equivalent of universal heat death, but implied within that is a certain equilibrium; an adequate expression of all the ideas that need be expressed in this context. Perhaps catering the emotional insecurities of "bobibobbobbob" and her ilk could keep things rolling a little longer, but would anything of real value would be produced in the bargain? We've entered the era of "trigger warning education," and I am not exactly dying to hear the thoughts of young people trained to subordinate truth to emotion.

With google as a go to for the truth of life these days, why think anymore? Why think indeed, when obviously our feelings are what really matter? Google can do all the truthing, and we need only express our feelings about that. And rest assured, if our feelings get hurt in the process, we can and will blame someone else for that. Accountability is no longer required. That requires thinking, an antiquated yet quaint process used only by those too old and feeble to use the latest emoticons for complete ease of expression.
Fox

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cosmic Hum wrote:

With google as a go to for the truth of life these days, why think anymore?

Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but my personal truth placebo is DuckDuckGo.

The Cosmic Hum wrote:
That requires thinking, an antiquated yet quaint process used only by those too old and feeble to use the latest emoticons for complete ease of expression.

This is why it's so important that emoticons represent the full spectrum of racial, religious, and sexual identities: if there are no emoticons that look like you, think like you, and like to have sex with the same people as you, how can you communicate? A lack of queer, pagan emoticons of color is nothing short of linguacide. They're killing our ideas before we even text them.
schwa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres my personal posting credo (which I dont always follow):

1. Try to be helpful regarding teaching, immigration, & other practical queries with facts. I'm aware though that some of my experience in Korea is getting stale-dated, having left earlier this year.

2. Be kind & supportive to sincere-sounding newbs. Leave the lazy newbs to the hounds, who will pounce quick enough.

3. Avoid making negative kneejerk responses. I always end up regretting those.

4. Avoid the political debates. Not that I dont have my own considered opinions, but not my forte.

5. Dont feed trolls.

6. Dont post (too) drunk.

I'm habituated to visiting Daves. Its kind of like keeping in touch with relatives. Some are cool & smart & some are just annoying.
Fallacy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:56 am    Post subject: RE: Having trouble with rude and sarcastic ... help! Reply with quote

Another round of seconds to GENO123 and drcrazy, Fox, The Cosmic Hum and schwa on this thread. What they said. The list by schwa seems to be a particularly useful bit of wisened advice, so let me have a go:
schwa wrote:
1. Try to be helpful regarding teaching, immigration, & other practical queries with facts.
Rude = adjective: (1) offensively impolite or ill-mannered; synonyms: ill-mannered, bad-mannered, impolite, discourteous, uncivil, ill-behaved, unmannerly, mannerless, impertinent, insolent, impudent, disrespectful, cheeky, churlish, curt, brusque, brash, offhand, short, sharp, offensive, insulting, derogatory, disparaging, abusive, tactless, undiplomatic, uncomplimentary; antonyms: polite, civil. (2) roughly made or done; lacking subtlety or sophistication. Derived from the Latin and Old French.
Sarcastic = adjective: marked by or given to using irony in order to mock or convey contempt; synonyms: sardonic, ironic, derisive, snide, scornful, contemptuous, mocking, sneering, jeering, caustic, scathing, trenchant, cutting, biting, sharp, acerbic. From the French.

I hope that this information helps to definitively answer the OP's question: "Why are so many people so rude and sarcastic on this forum?" Clearly, it is because a majority of posters among the 882,336 registered users are all French in origin. Moi aussi! Pardon mes gros infractions du merde. L'outrage et injure à posteur sur la Dave's comme ça, n'est-ce pas?
Kwangjuchicken

Location: I was abducted by aliens on my way to Korea and forced to be an EFL teacher on this crazy planet.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schwa wrote:
Heres my personal posting credo (which I dont always follow):

1. Try to be helpful regarding teaching, immigration, & other practical queries with facts. I'm aware though that some of my experience in Korea is getting stale-dated, having left earlier this year.

2. Be kind & supportive to sincere-sounding newbs. Leave the lazy newbs to the hounds, who will pounce quick enough.

3. Avoid making negative kneejerk responses. I always end up regretting those.

4. Avoid the political debates. Not that I dont have my own considered opinions, but not my forte.

5. Dont feed trolls.

6. Dont post (too) drunk.

I'm habituated to visiting Daves. Its kind of like keeping in touch with relatives. Some are cool & smart & some are just annoying.

Then I will say hi again to you, it has been a looooooong time. And, you still have the best avatar here. I am not sure why, but I especially like it when you turn into a chicken!!!!!! Very Happy
northway

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schwa wrote:
The balance of helpfulness & snark on Daves these days is about exactly the same as it has always been.

The lack of content makes the snark stand out more. In any case, I think some trigger warnings are in order.
drcrazy

Location: Pusan. Yes, that's right. Pusan NOT Busan. I ain't never been to no place called Busan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just love the ones that start with, "My dream is to teach English in Korea".

I still remember when my first grade teacher asked me what I wanted to do when I grew up. I said, "My dream is to teach English in Korea, and if that does not work out, my second dream is to be a test subject for shark repellents."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: