Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is the best job out there for a person with an MA?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikethered

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: What is the best job out there for a person with an MA? Reply with quote

I just wanted to know what the best deal out there in Korea is right now for someone with an MA. My MA is in English literature and I have a double major in my undergraduate studies (French and English). I am also a certified teacher.

I will finish my current job in June and would like to start teaching in September if possible- so any advice is really appreciated. Thanks.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the best job out there for a person with an MA? Reply with quote

Mikethered wrote:
I just wanted to know what the best deal out there in Korea is right now for someone with an MA. My MA is in English literature and I have a double major in my undergraduate studies (French and English). I am also a certified teacher.

I will finish my current job in June and would like to start teaching in September if possible- so any advice is really appreciated. Thanks.

Sept is the wrong time of year to be looking for teaching positions in Korea. Second term starts in August.

Rethink your calendar and start getting your documents ready NOW.
If you are American it will take you months to get your FBI check and get it apostilled. You'll also need to get an apostille on a certified true copy of your undergrad degree.

University jobs are usually found on the ground and not from abroad. You may have to bite the bullet for a year and take a hagwon job while you network for better.

Alternatively, get off of the EFL boards and look for international schools who need English (as a subject) teachers. The remuneration (pay and benefits) packages are better too.

Mikethered

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I really apprecaite this info.
matthews_world

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korean wages are pretty much have been stagnant for a decade.

You might start out at a university making a measily 2.1 with no incoming flight or housing allowance.

Public schools probably wouldn't touch an MA except if you wanted to teach in Seoul or be a teacher trainer. If you have no experience, then you probably couldn't be the latter.

Why not look into international schools. China is also ripe with jobs in this area, including Taiwan or Singapore and possible to make more money than Korea. If you're looking at a Ph.D later, then working with a team of similarly qualified dedicated teachers, networking, and climbing the ladder to a leadership position would be your best bet.
Mikethered

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you Matthew, the only problem is the fact that I am going to use this time to get to know my girlfriend better. She is from Korea and after a long talk we agreed that if I am going to marry her I had better learn more about Korea. However, I have always been interested in China so thanks for that tip!
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be more blunt....MA or above...why korea of all places? Advance degrees are not commanding any significant amount of money over hokwon instructors with BA/BS degrees.
You will have a less class load of course.
Once in korea...network, make connections, suck it up for a year or two until you get a more desirable position.
At the same time, figure out what part of the country you'd like to live in.
Like most places, it's about making connections...who you know who knows so and so....
matthews_world

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice. Even in China these days you need 1 or 2 years experience depending on the province to get a foreign expert Z visa.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: