Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ESL scene in 2016
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AsiaESLbound

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all looks like WW3 is in the air... I don't think the scene there is going to get better and only turning for worse, but surely all the America hating of the Saneuri conservative far right is also where most of the negative behavior one experiences in Korea stems from. It's a gamble in taking a job via the internet and yes there are still jobs and some are very cool while others are where you are set up for failure, but expectations and disappointments on both sides have also increased. I call it a clash of civilizations.
ArabicTeacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, AsiaESLbound. You sound like a pessimist.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.reddit.com/r/korea/comments/41i8rl/hows_the_esl_market_in_your_city_holding_up/
ArabicTeacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weigookin74 wrote:
https://www.reddit.com/r/korea/comments/41i8rl/hows_the_esl_market_in_your_city_holding_up/

I know that the Middle East has a huge surge of English craze nowadays. It used to be Arabs there learning French and English 8-10 years ago and now it's mostly English. So it seems that Arab-Canadians are having a good good time all thanks to this.
ArabicTeacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quit finding an English position so far. The job market for the ESL industry looks so bad right now. I will instead be taking care of my toddler son as well as two elementary school-aged boys of my wife's ex-manager, also helping their school-related stuff. Things would be so weird if a dorky-looking Arab guy looks after two Korean boys as well as an Arab-looking toddler in a kids' cafe every Friday. My son would be happy, though.
Coltronator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AsiaESLbound- I don't quite understand your point can you explain further? The far right in Asian politics tend to be the more internationalist side. Extreme nationalism and foreigner hate tends to be found in the left of Korea and Japan's political parties. You may be talking about something else or a specific individual or group in Saenuri in which case that is a serious concern. However again as I said Minjudang (well actually a former smaller left party that they absorbed back in 2007-2008) the former 3rd party of somewhat N.Korea sympathizers is where the the disgruntled and bigoted troublemakers tend to find themselves.
ArabicTeacher

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coltronator wrote:
Extreme nationalism and foreigner hate tends to be found in the left of Korea and Japan's political parties.

I'm a Muslim man married to a Korean national and I think the political right here think of us waygooks as money-making machines. Korea has no moderates unfortunately like in many Arab countries.
PRagic

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about 'I'm Canadian married to a Korean'. Nobody cares about the religion, or at least they shouldn't. None of my catholic, protestant, evangelical, jewish, or mormon associates has to predicate their introduction or story with religion. It's all good, and it all has its place. In privacy.
ArabicTeacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PRagic wrote:
How about 'I'm Canadian married to a Korean'. Nobody cares about the religion, or at least they shouldn't. None of my catholic, protestant, evangelical, jewish, or mormon associates has to predicate their introduction or story with religion. It's all good, and it all has its place. In privacy.

Sorry, but my religious identity is more important than my life.
PRagic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More power to you. But kindly don't expect anyone else to care,
Fuzzy_Dunlop

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PRagic wrote:
More power to you. But kindly don't expect anyone else to care,

No one else did. Only you.
PRagic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who knows? Maybe I've been the only one to write anything. Besides, in context, my comments were only in regards to impacts on teaching and potential perceptions of possible employers.

I'm done with this. Don't want to see the thread devlolve into a pissing contest. Drive on...nothing to see here lol....
PRagic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who knows? Maybe I've been the only one to write anything. Besides, in context, my comments were only in regards to impacts on teaching and potential perceptions of possible employers.

I'm done with this. Don't want to see the thread devlolve into a pissing contest. Drive on...nothing to see here lol....
trueblue

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArabicTeacher wrote:
Coltronator wrote:
Extreme nationalism and foreigner hate tends to be found in the left of Korea and Japan's political parties.

I'm a Muslim man married to a Korean national and I think the political right here think of us waygooks as money-making machines. Korea has no moderates unfortunately like in many Arab countries.

Care to share what that may be?
candy bar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArabicTeacher wrote:
PRagic wrote:

Sorry, but my religious identity is more important than my life.

From a person coming from a moderate Arabic country.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: